• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice on first set

mertztr

May 10, 2008
I'm just getting back in to golf after a 15 or so year hiatus and am looking for some advice. I've been trying to get some reading in on the forum over the past few days and have read good things about the Adams A2 iron set. I was also in to our local golf galaxy, and a sales guy there showed me the TaylorMade RAC OS set that's on clearance for $399. He also showed me a complete set from Maxfli, the Black Max I think - also for $399.

It would be convenient to get everything in a set, but I'm not sure what I'd be getting with that Maxfli set. The Adams iron set gets good reviews on here and comes with 2 more clubs than the TaylorMade, and rockbottomgolf seems to have a pretty good price for it. Is it worth considering the TaylorMade set at this point? If I would go with either the Adams or TM set, are there any woods you would recommend looking at?

Not sure why i'm in such a hurry seeing as I've had exactly one lesson since declaring my 'comeback' but it went well and now I'm itching to get back out. No matter what I'll most likely take a few more lessons and demo some clubs before making a decision.

Thanks in advance-
Tom

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I was in a similar situation as you, and I bought the Top-Flite XL box set which included a bag, 460cc graphite shaft driver (very easy to hit) & 3 wood, 4 & 5 Hybrid, 6-PW for $189.99.

I'm pretty happy with everything, the irons are extremely forgiving, and hybrids are decent. I did buy a different 3 wood because the one in the set was too big for my liking. Otherwise the set is great for a beginner. For $100 more you can get the Top Flite XL5000 set which is a bit more complete and probably nicer.

You could buy some used irons and woods and put together something nice as well. Maybe a set of Adams Idea irons, or tommy armour 845's and a decent driver, 3 wood and putter for under $250 together.

Members online

No members online now.