• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

advice on how to set my bag up.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Well, Its starting to really snow here, so i need something to occupy me.
I want to set my bag up the best i can, im a fairly long hitter, so i may lean more to wedges.

As of now i have:

Driver 9.5
4 wood 17*
3H 22*
4H 25*
5I 26*
6-PW
PW is 47*
GW (no idea)
LW 60*

Im thinking of maybe ditching the 4W for a 3&5 and losing the two Hybrids.
Maybe going down to a 3Iron, and carrying 4 wedges? I do like how a hybrid is great from the rough, so I was farting with the idea of keeping the 3H and going 4-GW. What are your guys' thoughts?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
GW (no idea)
This would be my first choice. 52* to 54*, depending on how many wedges you want to carry.

Seeing that you hit fairly long, a 13* 3w may be another nice choice for short par 4's and reaching par 5's in two

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I would look at a 54* wedge to fill that gap once you get it you will love it. I agree with Jay Hawk about the 3 wood I think it could help you split the difference between your driver and 3h better. I’m thinking of changing to a 3h because I hit 2h real close to my 3W.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
I would look at a 54* wedge to fill that gap once you get it you will love it. I agree with Jay Hawk about the 3 wood I think it could help you split the difference between your driver and 3h better. I’m thinking of changing to a 3h because I hit 2h real close to my 3W.

well your 2H is actually 1i loft. a 2i is typically 19* and most companies ,make their 2h's that loft, but tm makes them strong lofted.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
What are the courses like you play most often? Open tee shots with little penalty for stray 'bullets'? Or, tight fairways with consequences for straying? Large, receptive greens or small postage stamp size greens?

You included two statements that are interesting. First, you state you are a fairly long hitter. Then you mention the advantage hybrids give you from the rough. Let's first talk about the 'top end' of your bag. Other posters have indicated maybe a stronger lofted 3-wood. If there are tee shots that require you to be in the short grass, that could be good advice. The stronger lofted 3-wood is only good for those tight fairways, however, if you will use it! Many of us simply don't like to have the driver taken out of our hands. Longer hitters, like yourself, can certainly benefit from a strong lofted fairway wood... a 'thriver'. Should the tee boxes give you open and wide fariways... or you want to hit driver off most tees... the strong lofted 3-wood would simply take up space.

Your signature indicates the 4-wood is 17 degrees. Understand that most 3-woods you will find will be 15, 16, or 17 degrees. So, unless you are in the market for a 'thriver'... something 13 or 14 degrees of loft... you probably wouldn't gain a lot moving to a standard 3-wood. Are you reaching most of the par 5's in 2? What kind of relationship do you have with the 17 degree fairway wood? Can you trust it off the tee? Is it a 'go to' club or simply something you only use from the fairway on par 5's? All these questions need analyzed before you can make an educated decision on the top end of the bag.

In my opinion, most long hitters could benefit from added wedges. Don't look so much at the lofts of your pitching wedge through your lob wedge. Instead, look at distances and performance. How far do you hit your PW? You probably hit a PW as far, or farther, than I hit my 8-iron. Break down the distances from your PW to the green and secure wedges that will take you to the green in even segments. Be especially congnizant of your wedges if you play courses with smaller greens, or if the putter can "sputter" once in a while. If it is imperative to get the ball close to the pin, the wedges become so important!

Many look at their wedges in loft only. Let's say you hit your PW 135 yards and it's 47 degrees. The logical progression, loft wise, would be 52, 56, and 60. But, you may find a different style 52 degree wedge would carry 130... or 100. If you hit the 52 130, the distance gap is too close. Likewise, if you only hit is 100, the distance gap is too large. Figuring out distance gaps can be difficult because you will probably hit different 52 degree wedges different distances just due to shaft and weighting and groove design, etc.

There, I've expended a bunch of words and, probably, not helped at all!!! As you sit by the window watching the snow... with cabin fever setting in... do a complete analysis of YOUR game. Go over the past half dozen rounds and try to remember where you lost strokes. Where do YOU need a 'fix' to lower your score. With the longer hitters, it's typically tee shots and wedges.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Thanks for the long winded response, you did help, and gave me some food for thought. I want probably a 13* 3 wood, Im not really worried about hitting fairways, im a fairly accurate driver, and the only time im not out trying to prove something to myself, or learn is in competition. I tend to hit driver alot, and i get penalized alot on short par 4's. In the two courses i mainly play, there are 1-2 par 4's that are under 300. I know i can carry or go over the green on these, so i opt to hit driver, but it usually lands me in the sand or deep rough. I love my 4 wood, It will carry about 250 from the deck and 255-60 from the tee, I hit it off the tee on alot of shots that i know if i hit driver, i'll be between wedges hitting into a green, so i "lay up" and hit PW or 9I. I can reach most par 5's in two around here, we do have one that is 625 yards, that not even john daly could reach. I think i may go driver, st 3 wood, 5 wood, 3H, 4-pw, 52* 58*, Im way more of a feel player around the greens, but outside of 150, im all about the little pad that tells me how far my clubs go.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah, i do hit my PW 135-140, and im looking for a 52-53* i can hit around 110-115. But like i said, once im inside of that marker, all bets are off, i hit whatever i feel comfortable with or get the instinct to. I hit alot of punches into open greens instead of wedge shots, I also have been known to hit a FW or Hybrid from ~40 yards, I play the shot that comes into my mind first.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I would make sure your gap wedge is 52*, then I would add a 56* wedge and leave it at that.
No need to mess with the higher clubs. You will do 90% of your scoring from inside 100 yards, wedges matter most.

🔥 Latest posts