• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice?

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I've gotten out to hit my newly assembled XL Tour/Prolaunch combo a couple times and had been originally pleased, but now I'm starting to question the pair.

I think the Prolaunch is the problem (and was what I was originally concerned with) The ball is going higher than I would like and I'm pretty sure its spinning off the charts (no proof of this)

I'm really tempted to pull the Bimatrx out of my older HiBore and throw it in the XL.

Reasons I want to:
1) its really reliable in my older hibore
2) It suits my swing
3) the possibility of adding some distance to the reliability i'm used to.

Reasons keeping me from doing it at the moment:
1) I would be disassembling the one driver combo I hit well
2) The Bimatrx was built to keep the spin down on higher lofted heads...and it'd be going into a notoriously low spinning head that is low lofted
3) the big company tournament that I'm playing in is this weekend, and i don't want to be out there with a combo i haven't gotten to use for a good deal of time.

Anyone have any reason why I should or shouldn't?

I'm not going to buy another shaft.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Play the tournament with the hibore/bimatrix. If you want to play around, do it AFTER the tournament.

High launch low spin is the way to hit bombs, by the way. If your ball is rolling out well with the XL, don't worry about it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you are hitting a 8.5º too high you must be swinging up entirely to much. Try moving the ball back in your stance a little so you aren't catching it on the upswing so much. And try tee'ing it up a little lower. Check the face of your driver and see where you are making contact.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Like SUX says, play the BiMatrix/Hibore in your tournament. I know how you hit the ball and you're not going to have any problems keeping up with the "big hitters". You are accurate with that driver and long.

I know, I know... we all want to hit the ball farther and straighter. :laugh:

You are playing a great combo right now with the Hibore and are consistent with it. Play it for the tournament, be confident and have fun then mess with heads and shafts later...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I hit nothing but balloon balls with my old G5 and prolaunch blue. Hated that shaft and I agree that's your problem. :)

Get a new shaft for the new driver. Don't mess with something that works. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted screwing up with drivers.... :(

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
a big nevermind.

it was swing problems.

the driver works excellent.

Thing is a howitzer, except it goes further and is more accurate...;)

I do need to keep tabs on my tempo, as long as I don't try to swing for the fences, i should be in good shape

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Went and played the tournament today...with XL/Prolaunch.

Won the long drive hole . 325ish, downhill. thing was a bomb. my drive beat the previous long by about 20 yards.

had some good drives, but not nearly enough of them....especially on just normal drives where I wasn't going for the hero shot at all....a good percentage of them were just plain terrible to be honest.

The prolaunch is good, but not good enough to get me thinking about keeping the combo as a gamer. I like the XL head, and it is definitely hotter than my other HiBore. I think something more tip-stiff would work wonders for me, because I'm hitting the ball high, and i'm getting too much draw on it.

I'm not completely sure that the Bimatrx is going to work well in the XL, given it was meant for higher lofted heads, but I like how it plays, and its treated me well. and think its at least worth a shot in the XL...can't be any worse than the Prolaunch, I hope.

🔥 Latest posts