• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

After today's round, two questions come to mind

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
1. How are you supposed to remain confident, play without hesitancy, when your swing that day sends the ball in every direction except backwards.

It's such a vicious cycle too. After the first 2 or 3 holes of bad shots, fear sets in. And it's because of that fear I can't swing as freely, which causes balls to become even more erratic. I tell myself,"swing freely, confidently," but deep inside, I can still feel that fear.

It's completely opposite for the short game. I feel so much better around the greens when all I need to focus on is my target. Helped me save a number of bogeys today. What do you guys do when your swing isn't the best it can be that day?

2. What is tempo, and rhythm. I know there are fast tempo's and slow tempo's. I've read about how els's tempo is slow, tom watson's was fast. But I don't really get it. I don't even think I know what good tempo and rhythm should feel like compared to bad tempo.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You just have to keep telling yourself that the last bad shot was an aberration, a fluke. Even if you string numerous bad shots together, you have to tell yourself its a funk your in. Remind yourself of the last good round you had. Or that last spectacular shot you made that amazed yourself and all your friends.

As far as tempo goes, try the "one and two" approach. Backswing is "one", a brief pause at the top is the "and", and of course, your downswing is "two". Instead of just 1,2, taking the club back and immediately beginning your downswing with no pause.

The pace of the tempo varies from golfer to golfer, experiment till you find one your comfortable with and then use it religiously.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
1. How are you supposed to remain confident, play without hesitancy, when your swing that day sends the ball in every direction except backwards.

It's such a vicious cycle too. After the first 2 or 3 holes of bad shots, fear sets in. And it's because of that fear I can't swing as freely, which causes balls to become even more erratic. I tell myself,"swing freely, confidently," but deep inside, I can still feel that fear.

It's completely opposite for the short game. I feel so much better around the greens when all I need to focus on is my target. Helped me save a number of bogeys today. What do you guys do when your swing isn't the best it can be that day?

2. What is tempo, and rhythm. I know there are fast tempo's and slow tempo's. I've read about how els's tempo is slow, tom watson's was fast. But I don't really get it. I don't even think I know what good tempo and rhythm should feel like compared to bad tempo.
If you want more about tempo, this should tell you everything you need to know. Further if you are having issues with your tempo, it has a cd that will help you regulate it to the proper tempo. It deals with maintaining a 3 to 1 time ratio from backswing to forward swing, which is common in most all good golfer whether their tempo is fast or slow.
http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Se...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234963958&sr=8-1

For the first part, I can't help but think anytime you get fear thoughts in your head, this one may help you focus on what you need too. You are focusing on the wrong thing if it provokes fear.
http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Not-Game...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234964029&sr=1-1

I know reading is not for everyone in addressing thoughts in their game, but it has worked for me and is fairly cheap. I figure with those two as well as Hogans Five Fundamentals and Pennicks Little Red Book. I think I pretty have all I need for helping my golf game. Also Wishon's In search of the perfect club for equipment.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006

In order to have any chance at all of fixing your swing on the go, you have to have some understanding of the fundamentals of the swing, and how they apply to your game. You have to be able to look at your grip, stance and ball position, and alignment and get those straightened out first. If you can't do that right then most anything else you try to change will just get you in deeper trouble. Once you know that you have the setup right for your swing, then focus on that smooth one piece takeaway and steady acceleration throughout the swing.

My biggest fault when things aren't going right is getting too quick.... too fast on the takeaway and too fast and too early on the transition to the downswing. It's sort of like feeling that I suck so bad I just want to get each swing over with as quickly as possible, and that just makes me suck worse. :bang: I have to focus on slowing everything down, sometimes to the point of exaggeration... even stopping completely at the top of the backswing, or very nearly so. Although I may not play my best with that swing, at least it keeps me from playing my worst.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
For me?

1) It is not so much how I am playing, but moreso how I know I can play. I know I can make shots that would make Tiger shocked (at least, that's my attitude), so I go out there with the confidence of what I am capable of each time.

2) Rhythm, for me, is feeling smooth through the swing, mentally, and everything else. Maybe it is from my old racing days, but smoooooooootttthhhhh is a very important word.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
I was never expecting to find a quick fix to my problems. But that's part of the reason I love golf so much.

I'll keep working on the feeling confident thing. I'm just glad I'm aware of it so I can work on it.

As for tempo. I know I have to somehow transfer that smoothness you talk about. I can feel it when I hit pitch shots. I don't always hit great pitch shots, but I always feel smooth when I swing it. It just feels nice to swing at half speed or 3/4 speed.

But when I get to a tee, and I'm picking a target that's like 220 or 230 yards away, my immediate thought is to swing hard. Which I assume quickens my swing and changes my tempo.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My game from 130 and in has changed by leaps and bounds in the past few years. I no longer worry too much about distance, but I look at the flag and try to "feel" the distance and "feel" the correct shot for it.

Understand this though, with your distance clubs, there are other factors that change your distance as much as swing speed. As you change your swing to try and hit the ball harder, you may be hindering your spin rates and launch angle. Because of this, almost always, a smooth -but don't confuse smooth with weak, you still need to commit and swing strong-, swing will be best.

Confidence? Know what you are capable of, and act off of it. Don't take unecessary risks, still believe in course management, but know fundamentally you are a strong golfer, and keep that mindset, even if you might be wrong.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
know fundamentally you are a strong golfer, and keep that mindset, even if you might be wrong.

I disagree with this. My recommendation is that you are only confident when you have reason to be. Spend some time and money on lessons and practice until you're genuinely confident that your swing is fairly repeatable, and that you have some idea of where the ball is going. Don't lie to yourself. Being optimistic is one thing, but being naive is a minor difference that makes a major impact. Have a reason to be confident, then adhere to that confidence even if some of your shots go wayward.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
The suggestion to read GOLF IS NOT A GAME OF PERFECT is a very good one. The earlier in your golfing career you read it, the better. Many amateurs demand greater perfection from themselves than the best pros who ever played the game. If the greats hit a few "perfect" shots in a round, that was/is considered a great ball-striking round. That mind set is a big part of their strength. Bad shots do not turn them into crying baby-like morons that make life miserable for everyone around them. If your goal is perfection, your goal is automatically beyond attaining it. You have just doomed yourself to frustration which prevents the development of confidence. Confidence is what we all need, and we can get it when our aspirations are based on reality.

A big part of golf reality is that it is a pretty difficult game! If you set your sights on being a scratch golfer but do not put in the time, get the right equipment, get the knowledge the game requires, etc, then you will indeed be highly frustrated. Your writing about the positive of saving some boggies tells me you are not unrealistic (Yet
icon10.gif
).

Whenever your game goes bad, find time for a good session at the range in which you go over all the basics very carefully. Start with the grip, and really look your grip over carefully. Why? The grip determines most the position of the clubface at impact. A bad grip will almost always result in improper alinement.

Keep it simple. The golf swing is nothing but "two turns and a swish." (Shoulder turn, hip turn, arm swing). Get the turns and swish TIMED, and you will hit good shots.

Best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.