• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket Shafts for woods

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I recently added a TaylorMade V-Steel 3 wood to my bag, got it with a regular flex steel shaft and the thing is just killing me, always very inconsistent and i'm positive it isn't me, i really think its the shaft,

i've never had a new shaft installed on a club before, what should i look for in like kickpoint and flex and anything else, i guess my swing speed hovers around 100 mph,

should i just go in and hit on the launch monitor, see what the guy recommends,

what are some of the better brands, what is something to stay away from,

what price am i looking at, ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
friggin a mate, i feel your pain.

my 3 wood is a Taylor Made V-Steel with Regular Flex steel shaft

kickass club, crapass shaft. If my swing is PERFECT, i can hit the thing straight if i try to draw it. If my swing is off, just stand 240 yards out and 15 yards right of my target. I can hit you 90/100 times. That shaft plays like a ladies flex, and im on the border between stiff and extra stiff. I think i'm going to put a Dynamic Gold X100 or a Rifle 6.5 in it. Good thing i got the club for 45 bucks, because this shaft has gotta go.

Around 100 mph you say, i'd give DGS300 a shot, maybe Rifle 5.5 or 6.0. Reshaft in steel should cost around 30-40 bucks, in graphite it'll cost more, but i personally dislike graphite in any clubhead that is not an 8.5 degree Cleveland Launcher 400.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
what advantages/disadvantages does steel offer compared to graphite,

would it be worth the extra $ for graphite,

sherman, u get the stock grip too,? worst thing i've ever felt

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you go to a launch monitor and post the numbers i can recommend a shaft for you.

We are a UST tour fit center and also with Fujikura. We carry aldila, rappaport and a few other smaller lines so I have ezperience in a wide range of shafts.
Most store will try to steer you to a shaft that is ok but they make a good profit on.
We deal with several touring pros and believe in getting you the right shaft, not making a few extra dollars.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
ok, OB, sounds like a plan, but, well... being 16 its hard to get summer work around here, but i'll try to cut a deal with my parents about housework and anything else and come up with about $70, i'll hit the launch monitor and let you know,

now, when i do go to the launch monitor, what am i going to be hitting with? my v-steel as is, or something else?

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
You want to use the v steel so you know the numbers.

Do they charge $70 for a session? We charge $45 and refund 1/2 if you buy a club or shaft from us.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i don't know what the going rates are around here... i'm at the info gathering stages, do you have a shop here in KC?

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
i like the way the stock grip feels, but can you hold onto that thing? It's got the nice smooth velvety feel, i have the same grip on my rescue tp 2 iron, but they move around during my swing so bad. It's time for a new shaft in that thing, and a new grip too. If i get to it before you do, ill let you know the rizzults, but you gotta let me know how your's turns out if ya beat me to the punch. Aite?

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
As far as I know putting in a graphite shaft into a factory steel shafted club is not recommended since the weight of the club head had already been compensated to the steel shaft for swing weight. I would consult a clubmaker who really knows his stuff first.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
My shop is in Fort Worth, Texas.

You can put a graphite shaft in a club that had steel pretty easy. Most do not require any weight change.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
sounds like plan sherman, do you guys think i would come out better if i were to just trade it in for credit, and then get one with the correct shaft or to reshaft it, i guess if i do the right thing and get it fit to me, it would be better off, but i've always had good luck with factory graphite shafts,

i guess its inevitable, i'll get on it here as soon as time allows

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
As someone who deals with used clubs for a living, never trade them in. Sell them on boards like this or ebay and you will get a better deal.

If you find the right shaft it will change your game. You don't realize what a difference a good shaft that fits your swing will do for your game.

🔥 Latest posts