• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Again and again.

Apr 16, 2007
:unhappy:

This might drag a little as a story - but hang in there.

I haven't broke 80 in my time playing golf. I have scored well below 40 numerous times over 9 holes (on more than one course, might I add) and I've been right on the money at 80 now 5 times. The previous 4 times were understandable; I was proud of them in some senses. Either making a clutch par or even a birdie at the last to push the 80 number. But this most recently 80 will stay with me for a while.

I went out solidly in 40 - ok, I threw away a double at a very makeable par 5 by leaving my drive out right and having a rush of blood to the head (don't even attempt to hit a green in 2 on a par 5 that you cannot see from your lie). But other than that, it was a tough day on the course. The wind especially made putting and holding lines in the air a complete nightmare.

Cutting to the chase, I hit the 17th tee at +9 (my course from the Gents boxes is 69, Medals is 71). I'd never had the chance to seize before - I had always been chasing a birdie to make the 80 line - so standing up there made me feel pretty in control. All I needed was to play these 2 holes in +1, and I had finally done it. Hit a peach (my soft natural fade) up the 17th (which is a short par 4) to about 115yds - and stiffed a pitching wedge to about 13ft. I have to say it was the best feeling shot I have more than probably hit from that yardage. "Holy crap", I thought, "I'm within birdie distance and I've been lagging it all day". So what the hell do I do? I naturally race the ball 4ft past the hole and promptly 3putt for a 5. To the 18th! (While muttering furiously)

On the 18th box and I'm concentrating on making a full release at the ball - 18 is an elevated tee average length par 4 that opens up a huge green to anyone hitting a draw down there about 260yds. I needed that par, so I had to naturally hit my anti-shot. I can pull it off on the day - and today was no exception. Sure, the ball turned right to left - but it landed on the wrong fairway. D'oh! Hook.

So I'm walking down there, cursing and spluttering at my feet - my mind racing at the next shot. I had about 180 to the green because of the magnitude of this hook (gads, it was big) which had to carry exceptionally tall trees. From my lie, I couldn't see the green - so I had to pace around the trees a few times to look at where I was hitting it. Because of the trees and the nature of the shot (I would have to fade it into the green to have a chance of making it over, because I hit a draw low), I choked down on a 7wood, said a little prayer and just hit the goddamn shot.

...Wow! Crisp contact! Beautiful fade...oh wait...god is it going to make it over...go!...go!...*ball disappears from view*...

It landed on the fringe with a 20fter for birdie.

:)

I was absolutely ecstatic! "This is it! That is the shot that makes you a single figure player!" I was saying to myself over and over as I walked to the green. Surely I can't mislag 2 putts in a row when I've been putting so well to hold onto this dream all day?!

This is the part where I have to remind you, and perhaps myself, that I am playing golf in this story. We all know what the heck happens on that green to me. A little part of me knew that I was going to leave the birdie putt 8ft short. And it was enevitable that my putt for 79 that looked dead in the cup the whole way would lip out and horseshoe back the way it came.

Have you ever had this? Where you just cannot stop shooting the same number? Am I crazy? So I have single-figure phobia? Am I doomed to shoot +10 and above for the rest of my life?

:laugh: It is pretty funny looking back now!

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
wow... all i can say is keep on trying, dont give up... when you finally do it for the first time, it becomes easier and easier...

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I say work on your mental game :) sounds like your emphasizing results too much (and thinking too much)...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've gotten there several times on a easier par 71 I played at for several hundred rounds. I've found I play better when I relax. I try use a gauge of 10 for 2, no matter what my score on any hole I have to have another on the card to equal 10 or less. All 10's is a 90 and breaking that every time is my goal. I've shot sub 80 with no birdies and done it once with an eagle 2 on the card as well. Pars are the key to breaking 80 IMO, playing for par on the tougher holes helps me out a lot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
The first time it happened to me, It happened big. It was in the Club Championship, and I'd never broken 80 before. I shot 73 (course is par 72), still my best ever. I've broken 80 numerous times since then, but that first one came out of the blue. I don't remember what I shot on each side, I only know that I knew I was playing well, and that I wasn't keeping any running total. I will usually add up my score at the turn, and I know the fellow competitor who was marking my card for the day did so, but I have no memory of what I shot for either 9 holes that day.

The good thing is, after breaking 80 that day, I turned right around and did it again the next day in the final round with a 78, just proving that it wasn't completely a fluke.

I think you are working too hard at it. Play each hole for itself, and stop counting the totals. I had a friend who was always saying things like "Okay, all I need is a par here to have a shot at shooting xx.", and he would proceed to make a bogey or a double. Then he says "Okay, no problem. Just need a birdie now."... promptly makes another bogey. He turned himself into a basket case... ended up quitting golf completely for 4 years. But he came back to the game with a more realistic outlook, and shot his handicap down as low as 4 once he quit focusing so much on score and just started playing golf.

I once stood on the 18th tee at one under par.... unfortunately I knew the score, and caved under the pressure. Yanked my tee ball OB and finished with a triple. Now I don't generally even think about the actual numbers until I'm off the course.

OP
jcostello88
Apr 16, 2007
All these comments are much appreciated and will be taken onboard. To be honest, I never would have had the need or the drive to give myself a chance at that 2nd shot on 18 I was talking about. I think focusing on the score made that shot in some ways - pity it wasn't enough as I would shortly 3 putt it. I think both sides of the card might be applicable to me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
DON'T THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about your score until you count it up at the end, don't count it at 9, and make an effort to forget it.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Cutting to the chase, I hit the 17th tee at +9 (my course from the Gents boxes is 69, Medals is 71). I'd never had the chance to seize before - I had always been chasing a birdie to make the 80 line - so standing up there made me feel pretty in control. All I needed was to play these 2 holes in +1,

You were finished right there....

If you haven't already, pick up and read Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect." If you have read it, read it again.

This game is hard enough. There is no need to put EXTRA pressure on yourself. True, when it finally does happen, and you keep putting the extra pressure on yourself, it'll feel that much more gratifying. Then again, it may never happen.

It's easy to say, but much tougher to do. Take each shot one at a time. Stay in the moment. Do NOT prorate after 9 holes, 15 holes, 17 holes etc.

If you are getting that close, it really is just a matter of time. If you want it to happen sooner than later, take it one shot at a time.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The one piece of advice I would tell you is to stop worrying about the final score so much. I can very rarely tell you where I am in relation to par during a round, much less what I have to do on the next two holes to post a certain number. I focus entirely on the shot in front of me and look at each shot as an individual test that I need to pass before moving on.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I feel you, bro. I remember two years ago when I just could not break 80. If you are that close, it is just a mental thing. The suggestions of not thinking about it or not add up your score are good; I first broke eighty by just playing and ignoring the card. If your trying your best on every shot, how will looking at the score help?

Bright side is, I did it and have done it about twenty times since.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Update for you, bud. Just got back from the course. Shot 80. Bogeyed the last three holes. Three-putted the last two. I know what you mean.

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
You know why it happened? You looked at your score and you said you had to play these 2 holes in +1. When im closing out I never look at my card

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Don't feel bad I just shot an 81 tonight. My friend was keeping score and I told him not to tell me my score on the turn. I knew I was close going in to 18 its a par 4 and has water on both sides, a sucker hole if you use driver. So I pull out my 5 iron and hit it fat about 150yrds. Take out the bridgestone and top it into the water. I then chucked the club and it stuck to my hand and almost went into the water. Long story short I take a 7 on the hole. I shoot 40 on the front and 41 on the back with a tripple to finish the round.:(

🔥 Latest posts