• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aldila Shafts

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So I know the difference between NV and NVS shafts. It is about kick point. I even picked up and NV r7 Draw with an NV in it and it seems to hit lower than my NVS r7.

What is the difference between VS and the NV and NVS? Torque?

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
The VS is a huge improvement over the NV. I hated the NV, and The VS is my favorite shaft, even over diamanas, creations, etc..

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm not sure about quality of build materials or quality control but there is a pretty significant difference in ball flight between the three. The NV is a low launch (high kick point) shaft while the NVS is higher launching (mid-low kickpoint). The VS Proto is also low launch, albeit a touch higher than the NV.

I'm in the minority here as I actually liked the NV (65-S in a SQ Tour and 75-R in a J33 3W). I tend to hit the ball pretty high so the NV worked for me. With that being said, I'm thrilled that I made the transition to the VS Proto. As for the NVS, I've not tried it as I already have the high launch thing going naturally.

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I like the NV also. Maybe not in the driver. Launch monitor says NVS is better. My 20* NV shafted hybrid is my favorite club.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The VS is a huge improvement over the NV. I hated the NV, and The VS is my favorite shaft, even over diamanas, creations, etc..

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. I've had in drivers... Blueboard 63, Romabx 7W06, Epic and Speeder 757. The VS Proto is my choice over all of those more expensive shafts. It's more of a mid launch shaft but still very stable for a "hitter" swing. There are plenty of them out there but I've noticed they are getting harder and harder to find used, there is a reason for it.

The VS is a nano-tube shaft. I actually found it fairly similar to the CompNT from Graffalloy, also a nano shaft.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've got a brand new VS Proto 80S that i am on the fence about keeping or getting rid of. If your interested PM me...

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
new name = more money and almost no change buddy,

This couldn't be further from the truth.

The NV (green) is a high bend point, stiff tip shaft designed to launch the ball low.

The NVS (orange) is mid bend point, mid stiff tip designed to launch the ball on a higher trajectory with more spin than the NV.

The VS proto (blue) is a different animal all together. It uses a proprietary resin system (A65) and carbon nano tubes. This makes the shaft stronger, resists ovaling, and allows lower torque without giving up feel. It is a mid bend, firm tip, mid spin shaft.

The new DVS which will be out soon is said to be slightly higher launch and lower spin than the VS proto. It will also use the new resin system and carbon nano tubes.

I have never tried the DVS but all the others are very good quality shafts, with the VS proto being one of the best available.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Chalk up another Vote for the VS Proto, although I was expecting it to play stiffer per everyone here's reviews, its still kicking some serious ass in my HiBore.

never tried the NVS.

NV is the most overhyped shaft ever made. plus Aldila's quality control on those was complete shyte.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
NV is the most overhyped shaft ever made. plus Aldila's quality control on those was complete shyte.

Again I must beg to differ.

Every after market NV I have ever tested was marker perfectly for spine, and was dead on spec for frequency. Aldila imo has amongst the best quality control in the biz. As for hype, the NV is still in play on every major tour.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
My mate has a Ping G5 driver with NV shaft in it. The ball nearly takes the bream off my cap when i'm hitting that thing.

I can't keep that frickin' shaft down. Concerns me when everyone says (and I believe) that its a low launching shaft.

Maybe its just me...

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
No worries mate, I couldnt keep the NV down either. It makes for a decent fw/hybrid shaft for me, since it allows me to get a high traj to hit into greens

gcinbc

Always up for Round
Oct 15, 2007
Hello Jeff4i

I noticed you have a FT-3 with a 70S shaft and how do you find the 70S as compared to the 80S. Also what is your swing speed with the 70S. I also have a FT-3 with a 80X but due to an injury my SS has slowed down to about 100 mph give or take a few mph and I am debating whether to go with a 70S or an 80S, as I do like the feel of a heavier shaft with my tempo which is smooth...gcinbc

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
For a long time the NV was the main shaft option on many new clubs out there. You tended to see the 65S on vast amounts of G5 drivers & Titleist 905's; two of the more popular ones out there.

For me, the 65S was far too soft. I found it very much like a regular shaft and would really have to adjust a lot on the downswing to combat any go left shots. Have th 85X in a Titleist 3-wood and also was using a Ping G5 3-wood for a while with a 75S shaft and I liked that club and shaft combo a lot ! Am hopefully gonna get me a Titleist D2 some time with VS Proto 70X, I think..

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.