• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aldila VS proto question.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
This shaft in 80 grams seems to be ideal for my swing. I just got my old FT-5 back from Slickpitt, and I can just kill that driver(forgot how long that driver really is). I also picked up a 5 wd from him that has the same shaft in it, and I love that club. My question is where is the cheapest place around for them? I have seen them for $169, but that seems mighty high to me considering this shaft is about 3 'models' old for Aldila. They have rolled out the DVS, MOI and Vodoo since this shaft. SO, where are some 'bargain' places that I can look to find a deal on the 80 gram stiff model?
Secondly, is there another shaft out there that is roughly equivilant to the characteristics of the Proto that may be easier to find a deal on? I am wanting one to build a specific 3wd with. Thanks Guys. Rock, Indacup, others, what do you expert club building gurus say. I would be willing to spend no more than $100 for the shaft if that helps guys.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Bry I think I got that shaft off of Ebay. New and in the wrapper I think I paid right around $85 shipped for it. So they can be had for around $100... just have to keep your eyes open and find a deal. The VS Proto I have in my 3 wd I got from someone around here for about the same price if I remember right.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I keep a check over there from time to time, and I have not seen the 80 gram over there lately. I may check around some here and see what I can find. I am leery of pulls, kinda a roll of the dice. I would hate to get an Ezra special pulled with the stove and a pair of pliers:biglol::biglol:
I may try a regular flex and just tip the crap out of it also(like 2.5 inches or more. Seems to be a ton opf regular flex 80's over there.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've got a driver length yellow 65-S and a 95g X for a hybrid if you are interested in either of those. I don't use pliers btw. I probably use less heat than most guys with a shaft puller do.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You wont see a new one from an authorized dealer for less than that. Aldila has MAP pricing in effect for all their shafts.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Ez, I was just messin with you man. I just do not trust pulls. Lyle, is there another shaft that has similiar specs to the Proto? maybe one of the accuflex shafts, like the creation or evolution?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
is there another shaft that has similiar specs to the Proto? maybe one of the accuflex shafts, like the creation or evolution?

Can't really help you wth similar shafts but the accuflex shafts are bigger monsters than a VS proto. Much stouter for hitters than the VS. I have the creations in driver and fairway and about to put an Evo into my TEE CB1. Hopefully its a monster!
From my experience the stiff Creation in driver felt similar to X-Stiff Proto.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
i have a proto in my cobra, definately stiffer than most shafts but weaker than what i am use to
fuji vista pros and aldila ones and wicked shafts if you can swing em, high bend low torque

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I hate to rub it in Bryguy but I just picked up VS Proto 80g 44 1/2 inch X Flex for $39 shipped.

Pure coincedence as I actually bought a S-Flex Accuflex Evolution off eBay and the bloke emailed me asking if I was interested in a few others.

So I got a Evo and a VS Proto for $60 shipped. Right place at the right time I suppose. He has a 70g 42 3/4 inch S Flex available for $25 shipped if you want that....

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Thanks Lefty, but the 80 is what I am going with. It just works to well for my swing for me to even keep trying shafts.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Is it true that a higher number in the Torque column actully reduces a fade? Any advice would be appreciated?

Nope. The higher the torque number, the general feeling of the shaft will be softer. The lower the number, the more stout it will feel (generally). Torque is somewhat an arbitrary figure these days. It won't do anything to help or reduce a fade, that's all in squaring the face at impact.

As for the VS Proto Bry, why don't you believe in pulls? There's nothing wrong with a properly pulled shaft that would show a decrease in performance. Just find one the length you need and slap it in. 95%+ of the shafts I have used over the years have been pulls and I haven't suffered a failure yet.

R35

🔥 Latest posts