• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

all hybrid irons?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
After just getting back from the range and finding out I can hit a 5 wood but not a 5 iron, I'm thinking about a set of all hybrid irons. I'm desperate; today was rediculous.

Any reasons I shouldn't?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
How long have you been golfing for? Lower irons are harder to hit because they're heavier, and they make you want to turn your wrists more and open the clubface to keep the swing comfortable. If you're just starting, you should expect 5-4-3 irons to be difficult to hit with. I got a 7 wood to replace my 3 iron, which I found nearly impossible. I don't think you need a hybrid 5, with practice that one in particular shouldn't be too difficult to use. If you're REALLY struggling with your 4 iron, a hybrid might be up your alley. Get a cheap one first to see if you like how it works, then invest in a more expensive one if you feel the need.

It's cheaper to practice though, keep that in mind.

Also.. a 5 wood and a 5 iron are very different clubs. A 5 wood does not replace a 5 iron..

You probably knew that, but, just making sure.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I started back 2 months ago after a 20 year layoff. :)

Some days at the range I hit every club well. Today was the worst: fat shots, topped shots, no real shankers but that was about it. And then every now and then I would hit one dead, solid perfect. Exhasperating.

My only defense was this was a new range for me, the sun was shining in my eyes, and I have a strained muscle in my back. You think that is enough excuses? :)

I hit all the woods OK today, but my irons sucked. That's why I asked about the all hybrids. There are some cheap sets available; $150-250, so if I hit like this again, I may buy a set to use on days like this.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I've been where you are a few times since I started playing again. If you try it, I'd sure go cheap because you will more than likely want to switch back to your irons at some point.

One of the guys at our club went that way and he's doing ok but hasn't shown any improvement in a long time. I think it's just to hard to be accurate when you're hitting all woods.

Plus there's all the crap you'll get from your friends for giving up your irons.

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
I find hybrids very easy to hit relative to long irons but not as consistent accuracy-wise, just as I found my 2 iron more consistent than a 5 wood.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Terrible again today. Damn, my swing sucks. Charles Barkely has nothing to fear.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Better at the range last night; hitting good shots with everything except the 3 & 4 irons. I tried to concentrate on making my left side more dominant and pulling through. Seemed to help for now.

And I bought a set of used Hogan Edge CFT with graphite shafts on eBay, 5-9,E,F,S.
Thinking about buying the 3 & 4 in hybrid. Can't wait til they get here!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Siberian:

Good choice of clubs...play with them at least 6-8 months and see what happens. You may like them a ton...it is very hard to come back to the game after so much time away.

It is Extremely common now for the lowest iron in the bag of a mid to high handicapper to be a five. So what you are pointing toward is not any sort of unusual thinking.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks, Bravo, I hope I can swing them consistenly.

I just eBayed a Hogan C-S3 10.5* neutral driver. !!!!! I'm addicted!!! As long as my credit card is taking a beating and I'm in a ho'ing mood, might as well go look for 3 & 5 woods........

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Siberian, I TOTALLY feel your pain.. I spent a bit of money on a set of Wilson Fatshaft irons (with 3 and 4 hybrid, ironically) that I didn't need, just because I'm a sucker.

Just try not to drown yourself in debt. There's nothing wrong with having 12 complete sets of irons as long as you can afford it.. er..

As long as you don't have a wife. She might not appreciate it.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I looked at the Fat Shafts, along with the Tommy Armours, the Adams Ideas, some Cobras with optional hybrids, Taylor Made RAC OS2, Ping G2 and a few more. Hit a bunch of them at an indoor range at a pro shop, and honestly couldn't tell much difference in that limited venue.

But my eye kept coming back to the Hogans........

Today I bought the Hogan irons, driver, 3 wood, 5 wood. The irons are used, the woods are new. Total outlay was around $600, but what the heck, you only go around once. :)

The wife is LONG gone. :)

🔥 Latest posts