• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

All in a day's work....

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I went up to the club today...hit balls for 15 minutes. Really good and pure for once. I've had a horrible week of practice and am playing tomorrow afternoon with four old friends....

Then, I worked out for 45 minutes. This is going really well too...Doing some golf-specific weights and stairmaster...

Toodling along home and park the car...Open the door and there is a snake about three feet from where I am pivoting out the door.

Helloooo!!

Go inside and get out my Beretta 12 gauge. What a sweet gun...chamber three shells...

Sneak around the front of the car.

Snake is gone.

I peek underneath the car.

No snake....

I start checking the high monkey grass around the driveway.

There he is - snake in the grass...

Shoot him once in the middle and slice him in two and then I blew his head off with the second shell.

I had a large Texas rattler completely uncoil at me once when bird hunting in Hondo. I jumped the instant before he uncoiled and my brother-in-law cut him in two with a single shot.

Half hour later - the section of the snake with the head tried to bite somebody.

So what are the three rules of snakes?

1) Decapitation
2) Decapitation
3) Decapitation

Oh well...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ya, we have the same problem here with gophers. If you don't get them in the head, they'll totally bite your ankes.

All in a day's work.... ;)

We have rattler's here, but not around these parts. You'd need to take a trip about 3 hours to the SW to find any....

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Please tell me it was a big nasty looking snake and that you didn't use a shotgun to liquify a garter snake or something?

I just have this image in my head of a grown man blowing the shit out of some little harmless nobody snake. And it's funny.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Nice shootin Bravo.

We had a 5' rattler on our side porch a few months back and it almost got one of the dogs. Scary bastards.

Although there not all there scary without a head. The 20 gauge my dad gave me when I was a kid still works fine for snakes.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well Silver....I am going to be truthful with you...

While I cannot postively identify the critter - it appears to be non-poisonous. I have visited a couple of websites and it does not look like the 4-5 types of poisonous snakes that we have around here. He's got a black scaly top and a yellow belly. No diamond shapes or bands that identify a copperhead, cottonmouth, rattler or coral snake.

Butt - I gotta houseful of women here and you can never be too careful...If they saw a garter making his way across the drive - they wouldn't leave the house for days...

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
SNAKE SHOOTIN'

Atta Boy Bravo, no use messing around with a broom or stick when it comes to a big snake in the grass! Get the BIG GUN out and blow it's ass apart:D A 3 iron would work too, but no use taking the chance of changing the lie of the iron while beating the snot out of a snake.
Change your name to SNAKE MAN!
:canadafla

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well Bravo, it's really only funny because my dad is deathly afraid of snakes, and we had a farm for about 3 or 4 years when I was pretty young (3-7) where the occasional garter or (some other longer but non-poisonous) yellow snake would slither by. Man, did that shit make me laugh...my dad would go nuts. He once went apeshit on one of the yellow ones with an axe. Good times. He threw it to the chickens after to eat it but they wouldn't go near it, so he threw it to the pigs, and they fought over it like a rugby scrum.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If you take a garter snake by the tail and snap it like a bull whip, it's head snaps off.

Uh, not that I have done it. I, uh, read about it somewhere.....

I have some crazy pictures somewhere of a garter snake den in Cypress Hills. So cool. They winter piled up in huge balls to keep warm.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
My dad had a small farm and liked having a black snake around the barns. He had one for a long time and it had grown to 4 or 5' long. One day my brother came over to feed for him when they were out of town and killed it when it came near him. He's always been afraid of all snakes.

When my dad and mom got back my brother was bragging to my dad how he had saved him from this big badass snake. Dad was pretty pissed. I know I've had to kill more than one safe snake just to keep my wife happy.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Snakes are always something that's difficult to portray as a good thing to have around the yard. They rid the neighbourhood of rodents. But people just see snakes as something that's going to bite them, no matter what....

It's a shame....

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I have never seen a snake in real life, though if I ever was to have a enconter with one I would probably run like a little baby.

🔥 Latest posts