• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

All of the tourny players here.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
The thread about mdduya's first tournament got me thinking...you guys who have been playing in tournaments for years, do you guys still get nervous?

Last year was the first year i played tournaments and i got real nervous (almost throwing up) at the first tee, and it lasted until about the 6th or 7th hole. Later in the year i wouldnt get as nervous on the first tee, and it only lasted until about the 3rd hole, but i got real nervous on 18. I also get very nervous over short putts, even when im not playing in tournaments.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I never think of it like anything other than a golf game.
Perhaps my enormous handicap keeps me humble.

We have tourney's every weekend through the season with a couple of inter club events thrown in. I suspect that I would get nervous in an inter club event but since I have never qualified for one I won't worry about it. ;)

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
I'm still a little nervous even after playing tournaments for 25 years. I think about it the night before and right up until my first tee shot. After that I just play my game and try to have a good time and not embarrass myself.:D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I played 10 Amateur Golf (now egolf) tourneys last year, then the Georgia Public Links, then the Amateur Golf Finals in Hilton Head.

I was always nervous on the first tee, especially if there was an audience. After that, no. Nobody cares how you do in these things, as long as you don't play so slow that you get your group on the clock.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The egolf tour is what I'm a member of Siberian. I played again yesterday with 3 other gents. Plus it was a beautiful day and the course was packed, people standing there waiting to tee off. I was amazed how much more at ease I was playing in the 4 some after the tournament. And on top of that when I made my 1st iron shot it suddenly hit me what I had been doing wrong on my iron shots during the tournament. I kept telling myself during the whole round that everyone was watching me and put as much pressure on myself to make good shots as I could and by the end of the round I wasn't even concerned. I know it wasn't the same, but hopefully I'll be much more prepared to handle the pressure.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The day I dont feel the nerves standing on the first day is most likely the day I'll quit golf, seriously. I absolutely love that feeling, best I've ever felt it is when in the starting gate for downhill, on the flat surface at the top, knowing your going to be flying by people going 100km/h and at a definite high risk to your health:laugh:.

My last race I didn't have that feeling, so I quit after that season. Damn I miss it, but never have I ever have had that feeling since.

That feeling is the reason I play sports, the reason I golf, the feeling if im not good enough, can I be/get better, will I ever be as good as I feel I can be, win, lose, great shots and absolute shanks.

Yup, that's the feeling alright:). Been playing tourneys for 3 years now seriously and it's gotten me to college, now i'll see where my game's at after these next couple years. If I don't have that feeling anymore in tourneys, then golf wont be what i'm pursuing after college.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I played 10 Amateur Golf (now egolf) tourneys last year, then the Georgia Public Links, then the Amateur Golf Finals in Hilton Head.

I was always nervous on the first tee, especially if there was an audience. After that, no. Nobody cares how you do in these things, as long as you don't play so slow that you get your group on the clock.

I totally understand you here lol, First HOLE I thinned my first 2 shots.

But our group was Awesome, We played round 1 in 3hrs and 45 min.
2nd round we got held up and played in 4 hours 10 min lmao

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Audience:D. I love when there's people around me on any shot. I always hit better shots when people are watching me.

I've gone I believe it's 13 straight tourney rounds hitting the first fairway with people all around, unfortunately don't really get lots of people watching me all round:laugh:, but the first tee will do, and when I come in last group on sunday:D

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I get nervous before almost every tournament. I'd say my nervousness level drops considerably after the first 4 holes or so. Once I start to get to know my playing partners I start talking non golf related stuff in between shots with them and it takes my mind off my upcoming shot until I get within 100 yards of my balls.

My game starts to go when I'm not nervous, when I feel comfortable and relaxed while playing I stop focusing on every shot. If I'm nervous, I will focus on EVERY single shot.

5iron

(This is disregarding tournament play, which i have never done)I get nervous with people watching me swing, other than people ive played with. But after I hit a good shot, Im happy i had hit it under that pressure. or atleast i sometimes am.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I've come to the conclusion that most people on the coarse are'nt very good. Sometimes I like to sit back and watch folks tee off.....makes me feel great sometimes!.....I seem to always do better during tournaments(I havnt played a bunch), or when we are playing through a group I dont know.....when others are watching, I hit it better (most of the time)....tournaments are slow play too..thats messing alot of folks up.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.