• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Almost scammed on ebay with fake prov1 balls

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
I bough 8 dozen prov1 balls for under 300 shipped. When I got them, they were in brand new boxes but I opened up a sleeve, something wasn't quite right.

They were bright in color (prov1 seem to have a duller color), they were rough, and the lettering was off on the numbers and the prov1 line looked different.

I cut the cover on one and it was a hard single layer, not a soft double layer like real pro v1s.

He assured me they were real but the guy gave me a full refund and I sent them back.

I wonder how many of his customers are being scammed.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
holy crap! who is the seller so i dont buy any off him? i hate those jerks who try to rip us off with counterfeit crap. glad you got your money back

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
For $300 I could buy enough balls to last for years & years. $3-4-5 a box for me, I don't need ProV1's as I can lose any & all balls equally.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Get yourself some Bridgestones. You can get legit ones for that price or less, probably. I think I saw them going for 6 doz @ 200. Exceptional balls.

That's what she said.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I wondered when those would show up.

Everything is counterfeited in China these days. The things I'm amazed at are:
A) China is a totalitarian, Communist country, everything that happens has the tacit approval of the government, the Chinese gov knows what is going on, and very rarely take action. Our Gov wrings their hands and says "we can't do anything".
B) New stuff is counterfeited almost immediately. TM releases a new driver on Wed. - on Thurs a counterfeit copy is for sale. The Chinese manufacturers under contract have to be involved to some extent.
C) The US companies aren't bright enpugh to stop getting stuff made in China. They know what's going to happen, then they ship manufacturing out. The first thing you know, Callaway or TM are moaning about getting ripped off.

It's not just golf equipment and purses. The scary thing is the fake prescription drugs entering the legitimate chain.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Ebay has really gone down the tubes as of the last year or so.

No recourse for the sellers on non-paying buyers really torqued me.

OP
R

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
I agree that there are other good balls out there for the price. After I bought these, last year's callaways i tours went on sale for $34/dozen. The best deal out there I think is the Wilsons Staff TX4. Golf warehouse as them on for $17, and golftown here in canada has them on for $22. They are a great tour ball.

ko_redwings is the seller (he's in Ontario Canada). I wonder how long he'll get away with it.
It's partly my fault. He only had a 37 rating but the balls he sold previously had positive feedback. I contacted one of the buyers and he addmitted that he never even looked at the balls, just looked at the box it came it. He wrote back saying he noticed the same flaws I saw.

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
I agree that there are other good balls out there for the price. After I bought these, last year's callaways i tours went on sale for $34/dozen. The best deal out there I think is the Wilsons Staff TX4. Golf warehouse as them on for $17, and golftown here in canada has them on for $22. They are a great tour ball.

ko_redwings is the seller (he's in Ontario Canada). I wonder how long he'll get away with it.
It's partly my fault. He only had a 37 rating but the balls he sold previously had positive feedback. I contacted one of the buyers and he addmitted that he never even looked at the balls, just looked at the box it came it. He wrote back saying he noticed the same flaws I saw.

You left him a neutral???
Man up, the guy sells counterfeit goods, he defrauding people. The purpose of feedback is to reward the good, honest sellers & burn the dipshits.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
geez, this dildo has sold $1000 worth of fake prov1's so far. i cant believe no other buyers noticed they were fake. im glad you mentioned they were fake in your feedback, but i also agree that negative should've been left even though you did receive a refund. counterfeit sellers suck
eBay Feedback Profile for ko_redwings

OP
R

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
You left him a neutral???
Man up, the guy sells counterfeit goods, he defrauding people. The purpose of feedback is to reward the good, honest sellers & burn the dipshits.

Man up? I don't fly off the handle especially when I got a full refund. For all I know, he's being scammed too. . He's had positve reviews on the balls he's sold so far, so maybe he got a bad batch from his supplier? I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt.

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
Man up? I don't fly off the handle especially when I got a full refund. For all I know, he's being scammed too. . He's had positve reviews on the balls he's sold so far, so maybe he got a bad batch from his supplier? I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt.

You caught him and he gave you back your money. I can understand you trying to be a nice guy, but when someone attempts fraud, I'd call that worthy of a banning, not just a negative. You may feel like you don't want to be the "bad guy", but the seller deserves to have his chain pulled long and hard.

Wanna bet those same balls will be for sale again? That's why E-Bay is so full of crooks, and scam artists.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I had a similar experience. I was in the market for some new irons so I checked ebay. I found some brand new AP2's for $700, buy it now, I thought it was too good to be true but I'm a dumbsh!t so I bought them. They were some really nice looking knock-offs, there were just a few subtle details that didn't seem quite right. I called Titleist and gave them the serial #'s and they told me they were legit numbers but they didn't leave the factory with the type of shaft I described. They told me to check the sole of the club with a magnet because the tungsten nickle in the AP2's isn't magnetic, sure enough the magnet stuck. I was so worried that I wouldn't get my money back so I told the seller that I would only leave nuetral feedback if credited my money back asap, and within 30 minutes he credited my account. I'm a man of my word so I left neutral fb but I clearly stated he had sold me fake clubs. I also reported it to Titleist on their website. The same day I called Golf Plus and bought the real deal at full price but they re-gripped them and shipped them to me for free.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
wow, he gave you your money back BEFORE you even returned them? thats pretty cool.
(by the way, did you return them?)

I had a similar experience. I was in the market for some new irons so I checked ebay. I found some brand new AP2's for $700, buy it now, I thought it was too good to be true but I'm a dumbsh!t so I bought them. They were some really nice looking knock-offs, there were just a few subtle details that didn't seem quite right. I called Titleist and gave them the serial #'s and they told me they were legit numbers but they didn't leave the factory with the type of shaft I described. They told me to check the sole of the club with a magnet because the tungsten nickle in the AP2's isn't magnetic, sure enough the magnet stuck. I was so worried that I wouldn't get my money back so I told the seller that I would only leave nuetral feedback if credited my money back asap, and within 30 minutes he credited my account. I'm a man of my word so I left neutral fb but I clearly stated he had sold me fake clubs. I also reported it to Titleist on their website. The same day I called Golf Plus and bought the real deal at full price but they re-gripped them and shipped them to me for free.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Yeah, he worked everything out with UPS and I sent them back a week later. So you know, the sellers name is sweets_essentials. I suggest to anyone who buys off ebay to be carefull. IMHO very few people would be able to tell a difference between fakes and the real thing.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
thats true. i know a lot of people can tell the difference between counterfeits and the real thing (AP-2's, Scotty Camerons, TaylorMade and Callaway drivers), but I sure cant. it amazes me how some people can spot the tiniest little details

🔥 Latest posts