• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Alpha RM-5 Hybrids

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I just saw this forum. Should have put my other thread here instead.

I just bought the 2 and 5 hybrid from this set on the bottom of the page here;
Alpha Golf — Silver Diamond Hybrids

I used the 2 to tee off pretty much every hole of 16 that we played the other day and kept them down the middle pretty easily on every hole but one and even that one was left in a very playable position to the right. I was able to keep up with the guys I was playing with who were all using drivers. Obviously they are outdriving me most of the time, but not by so much that it mattered. I ended up winning the round by keeping the ball under more control since I was pretty much always hitting out of great lies in the fairway and the #2 hybrid was keeping all my shots really straight. Seems to be very forgiving from what I can tell.

I hit the #5 maybe half a dozen times and had all really great shots with it too.

Im having the #9 built today and picking it up later this afternoon but Im expecting it to be every bit as good as these two are.

If your looking for some affordable hybrids that are really easy to hit well these are for you.
If a newbie like me can hit the hell out of the 2 iron in the set pretty much anyone can.
Great clubs. Definitely at least 4.5 stars out of 5 in my opinion. The only thing I'd change about them is making the bottom of the club more rounded for easier shots from the rough.

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I picked up the #9 today. It is really REALLY heavy.
I can see it having its use for longer shots, but I dont think its going to replace the 9 iron for finessing a ball around the green. Its way too heavy.
Definitely see it making great longer 9i shots out of the rough or off a fairway, but I use my 9 iron a ton around the green and I just dont see this one doing the job there except very basic chip/run shots.

I was contemplating buying the whole set but pretty sure this was a vote against doing that.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I picked up the #9 today. It is really REALLY heavy.
I can see it having its use for longer shots, but I dont think its going to replace the 9 iron for finessing a ball around the green. Its way too heavy.
Definitely see it making great longer 9i shots out of the rough or off a fairway, but I use my 9 iron a ton around the green and I just dont see this one doing the job there except very basic chip/run shots.

I was contemplating buying the whole set but pretty sure this was a vote against doing that.

I HAD a complete set of Cleveland HiBore irons, basically a complete set of hybrids. There were times I loved them, but on a tight lie, its next to impossible to take a divot. They will make you a picker, picking the ball clean off the deck. Some people play their whole lifes that way. But if you ever need to put some back spin, or even side spin to shape a shot with, they make it next to impossible. Not only that, but I just never could get used to the look at address. Needless to say I didn't play them for long and I replaced them with the Srixon's I'm playing now and have never regretted the move. Playing with a full set of hybrids just didn't work for me. Thats not to say you won't love it, to each their own. Just tossing my .02 cents in.

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
Well, I think I figured why the 9 hybrid doesnt get the ball up into the air as well as my 9 iron.

Apparently my 9 iron is 43 degrees and my 9 hybrid is 37 degrees.
Guess I cant blame the club for something it can't do the same as a 9 iron.
MY iron isnt marked so I had to figure it out.
Not a huge deal.

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I HAD a complete set of Cleveland HiBore irons, basically a complete set of hybrids. There were times I loved them, but on a tight lie, its next to impossible to take a divot. They will make you a picker, picking the ball clean off the deck. Some people play their whole lifes that way. But if you ever need to put some back spin, or even side spin to shape a shot with, they make it next to impossible. Not only that, but I just never could get used to the look at address. Needless to say I didn't play them for long and I replaced them with the Srixon's I'm playing now and have never regretted the move. Playing with a full set of hybrids just didn't work for me. Thats not to say you won't love it, to each their own. Just tossing my .02 cents in.
Im definitely a picker.
The few times Ive taken a divot Ive felt guilty.
Something about marring up that beautiful fairway that just kills me a little on the inside :frown:

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Im definitely a picker.
The few times Ive taken a divot Ive felt guilty.
Something about marring up that beautiful fairway that just kills me a little on the inside :frown:

Are you serious? If I don't take a divot it's a pretty good indication that I hit it thin. With wedges I dig. Sometimes I hit the ground so much it abbreviates my follow through. As long as you hit the ball first it's all good. Just replace your divot. Must hit down!

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
Are you serious? If I don't take a divot it's a pretty good indication that I hit it thin. With wedges I dig. Sometimes I hit the ground so much it abbreviates my follow through. As long as you hit the ball first it's all good. Just replace your divot. Must hit down!
I guess Im just getting lucky or something.
I hit down on the ball for certain, even with my higher lofted woods, but probably not in the same way most do.
I can do it when I want to, its not like I cant. My swing seems to put a divot just after the ball right where its supposed to. I just dont really like doing it is all.
Dont really have a problem with thin shots, not that Ive noticed. I do get a fat shot here and there when I get too much right side in my swing, but thats pretty easily controlled, so its not very often.
Ive played with a number of guys who, like me, dont take divots. They seemed to be pretty good players. Long off the tee and accurate on the fairways.
Something to bear in mind is I dont have a lot of irons in my bag. Most are hybrids and woods. Might be another reason Im not taking too many divots.

I think if I HAD to take divots just to play Id probably do it.
:)

🔥 Latest posts