• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Alternate version of interlocking grip????

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I call this the inverse interlock grip.

The standard interlocking grip has the (for righties) the pad of the left index finger resting between the junction of the pinkie and ring finger of the right hand. The pinkie finger pad of the right hand rests between the junction of the index and middle finger of the left hand.

In the version I have switched to the fingers are between the same gaps however they go UNDER the opposing hands so the finger pads rest on the club grip.

I've always had problems aligning my hands such that they work together and my wrists are free. This grip seems to be automatic for me now. Also the grip helps me keep contact with the club at the top of the swing. I tend to lose contact at the top between the distal end of the grip and the pad of my palm below my right pinkie finger.

Played my first round with this grip (9 holes) on a cool crisp fall day today.
Shot a 1 under 35 with nothing but straight, well aimed shots. More distance too. It just felt good. The swing was free and smooth.

I plan on sticking with this change to determine if this change has a honeymoon effect or if will be permanent.

Has anyone else tried an unusual grip?

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
If I'm doing this right, it seems to be crushing my pinkie. Can you post a picture of your hands?

Kevin

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
esox --If your hand is larger and larger fingers I can see this happening. My fingers width is average to slender with pinkies maybe shorter than average. If the pads of the fingers are touching the grips you've got it. I wear a medium large glove.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Maybe that's the problem. The pinkie is past the pad to the inside of the first knuckle. Actually, I was interested for my wife. She has been having some left hand middle and index finger pain she feels is caused by the interlocking grip. She's been using a ten finger grip. She has been playing better lately, but I thought I might have her a give it a try.

I use the overlap grip, but sometimes lose contact with fat end of the grip and the palm of my right hand (I'm lefty) at the top and sometimes at the finish. That usually means I've been waving the club around at the top like a track guy doing the hammer throw.

Kevin

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
A coworker of mine plays left hand low--on every shot. His swing is ugly, and his shots are short, and his scores are bad, but every shot is straight (due to lack of practise). Wasn't there a guy on Big Break Whatever that played left-hand low?

For myself, I tried playing like my coworker, and just about threw out my shoulder. I'm glad that your method worked for you, Zaphod.

And typing after drinking half a bottle of 90 proof whiskey is hard. Hope this is all spelled right. I'll edit in the morning.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
there's a guy at the range I frequent who is a cack-hander on every swing. It's hard to watch. If I eat within a few hours of a range session he happens to be present for, my lunch ends up all over the ball-tray.

Zaphy, it's hard to picture what you mean. Picture would be helpful :)

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
ok here are pics. Included shot of my hand and penny so you can get idea of hand size. Also a pic of son-in-law's dog Smokey we are boarding until they get out of apartment land.
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.