• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Am I being Unreasonable?

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
I'm not talking politics. The dude asked if he was right or wrong in his feelings about hitting balls at a private business that allows smokes. I simply responded with the facts that pertain to his question, giving examples to elucidate my point. My argument was well stated and irrefutable. Cry me a river!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm going to give the other side here. I am a smoker, and yes, I'd love to be a non smoker. But it irks me to no end when I hear something like this. It's outside, correct? There is a breeze blowing, the friggin smoke isn't going to kill you. Don't give the sob story about 2nd hand smoke either. There are just as many research's that dispute its harm as there are ones that claim it is harmful. You are completely within your rights to ask that they create and smoking section, and I imagine they will accommodate you. But if they don't, it won't kill you.

And BTW, check into how much taxes smokers pay, and where tose tax dollars go. You will be surprised. A lot of things would go up in price if ciggs were or ever are outlawed.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled anti smoking militia meeting, :bang:

:ugly25:

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
You're the guy who drives the speed limit in the express lane and wont let anyone pass because you feel like it is your responsibility to make sure that everybody on the planet drives the speed limit. Now, you want to turn in a PRIVATE BUSINESS owner for allowing smoking in HIS establishment!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If it's outside in a semi-enclosed area a) move b) tell the guy smoking to move. If we're talking like a wide open outdoor range... quit being a b!tch.
icon10.gif

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
I'm not saying not to obey the law. I'm saying that the law should never have been made in the first place. You couldn't figure that out and you're questioning me?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm not saying not to obey the law. I'm saying that the law should never have been made in the first place. You couldn't figure that out and you're questioning me?

You're friendly! *hug*

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
Well, the dude asked if he was being unreasonable and then when i explained how, he couldn't understand. The biggest problem with the world today is that there are way to many people who form strong opinions about things thay know very little about. This dude should go through the risk of opening his own business some day and then have the government cut his friggin knees out from under him with some BS, liberal, I'm gonna run your life law. Then maybe he would understand first hand. But you know what they say. Some learn from others and some learn for themselves, the hard way, because THEY WONT LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE H THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Well, the dude asked if he was being unreasonable and then when i explained how, he couldn't understand. The biggest problem with the world today is that there are way to many people who form strong opinions about things thay know very little about. This dude should go through the risk of opening his own business some day and then have the government cut his friggin knees out from under him with some BS, liberal, I'm gonna run your life law. Then maybe he would understand first hand. But you know what they say. Some learn from others and some learn for themselves, the hard way, because THEY WONT LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE H THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!

I think you are on the wrong side of the fence in regards to having business's getting their knees cut out from under them due to smoking bans. In Madison as well as my former town, once a smoking ban was implemented business actually increased because folks who wouldn't dine out due to smoke for a variety of reasons, were now free to do so.

I think it's silly to ban it in bars which madison has done, but in restaurants, stadiums, theaters, etc etc it's fantastic not having to deal with it.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Smoking bans are unconstitutional, IMO. An estabilishment should have the right to BAN smoking as it sees fit, as I would if I were a business owner.

But also to allow smoking, really. I think it's gross, and I wouldn't go anywhere where I had to deal with the smell. But that's life. I'd defend that driving range's right to allow smoking, even though it'd mean I never set foot there again.

It would be worth suggesting some zoning though. The top floor for smokers seems like a good idea.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
We are a smoke free state as of last year....and I love it.....We replace our simulators projectors every 3-4 years due to smoke damage.

Now it is no longer an issue.

In your case, I would go to them and tell them that due to medical reasons, you need to cancel your membership and request a refund.

They don't need a bad reputation and I am sure will honor it....

Good luck!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Based on my experiences, smokers are very reasonable and accommodating. If they are asked to not, they'll say sure no problem, put out their cigars and move on with their lives.

I've met many more non-smokers who are more than willing to wave their arms, and fuss about noxious fumes.

Yep.

Its simple - as smoking is apparently legal at the establishment in question, and you refuse to tolerate the smoke, don't go to the range. You can't just bend the rules to suit yourself because it's convenient for you. Even though nonsmokers really like to disagree, smokers have every right to light up (especially where there's a breeze!) outside and in no way have to put away the smokes because you don't like the smell.

*NOT a smoker*

Hos

Jan 11, 2009
I think this thread should be locked as it's bound to get nasty.

I'm with U!! Need to shut it down.

FWIW, I smoked, just quit (wife had a baby) but really enjoyed it. Never did it to offend anyone and tried to be real concious of people around me. I hate the law for the bars (lots of small towns around here) that its really hurting. But can understand it for the nicer bars in the bigger towns. Hope that all makes sense. (been drinking for a while now without a smoke!) I know a lot of people like the law so we need to respect it if we can.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.