• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Am I being Unreasonable?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
So 2nd smoke is good for you then?
If there are studies which show harmful effects & others which don't show any, why not error to the side of caution & avoid it if at all possible?

My whole thing with smoking is, if you want to smoke go ahead, just keep it all in your body & don't blow it into my oxygen.

Lol, no, I am not saying it is good for you. But there have been numerous studies that dispute the fact it is harmful. And no, not all of them have been funded by the tobacco companies, :D

I try my best not to blow my smoke near anyone else. And if I'm inside, I have no problem not smoking. But when I'm outside, I see no boggie over it?

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
You could send them to the smoking section on one of my home courses, the fairway of the 14th hole:
UtahSmokingLaws2.jpg

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
.......................and then finger starts flying and the cursing starts. What the hell is wrong with us??????

88, I think I know the underlying problem and a possible remedy. It's really a build up of toxic fluids in the male body. A simple, friendly hummer before driving the car or a visit from the in-laws, puts the body back into harmony.

Can you think of a time when you got all bent out of shape by someone's action within an hour of a release?

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I have to admit one thing though, If people didn't get so defensive when someone politely asked them to deviate from there current behavior, maybe we could all get along without so many friggin laws. Like the dude who gets all bent out of shape when I honk at him for sleeping at a stop light. The light turns grenn................the dude sits there.....................I tap my horn to let them know the light has turned green. Just a light, quick tap........................and then finger starts flying and the cursing starts. What the hell is wrong with us??????

When the guy at the intersection flicks his cig butt out the car window I am the guy behind him laying on the horn with the finger flying. God I hate that. Hang em high........:dead:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Again for me, it is all about not being to have it both ways. So I imagine it is also O.K. for a business to advertise as being non-smoking, and when you pack up you family and kids and drive 45 minutes in that pretense that it will a good day. The owner can just say "Hmmm, musta been a mistake on their part". Now you are stuck with either leaving or dealing with something based on how they advertised their establishment. If your youngest kid has say asthma, tough for him, he can wait in the car. In this case and assuming they practice within the law, just leave and banish the place.

Businesses have a responsibility to the people who patronize their establishment, part of that is operating within the law. If you "boys" wanna argue the law is wrong or unconstitutional, that is all dandy, then make the effort to fix the law. Why should we have to continue to fight for something that is already illegal to prove that it is more illegal?? That is why there are to many laws, because people ignore the ones already in place. If they can't operate within the law, then let 'em do whatever they want without zoning and licenses. Part of obtaining such is not simply forking over the money to open and have fair game on doing as you please. No difference in obtaining a license to practice law, medicine or what you see fit. Why shouldn't anyone just be able to practice medicine in the privacy of their own home??? Seems it would pay well? Why should they need a license to do so??? They do so to protect the public. Part of what they agree to in obtaining the license is that they will practice within the law. If they do not think that was right, then why did they agree to such. Goes back to the integrity comment made by one earlier, and it goes both ways.

This coming from someone who has smoked a good part of their life and will never have kids.

Again, explain to me why they are advertised as a "Non-Smoking" establishment. So they can have it both ways???
http://www.chicagonorthwest.com/Publications/2008Publications/2008VisitorGuide/SportsRecreation.pdf

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Pa Jayhawk - I agree with every single comment you make. I, a smoker, would be pissed if I saw that advertisement beforehand and showed up with my kids.

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
My point was that the guy who was sleeping at the red light starts letting the finger and the cursing fly when all I tried to do was make the guy aware that the light was green.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Again, explain to me why they are advertised as a "Non-Smoking" establishment. So they can have it both ways???
http://www.chicagonorthwest.com/Publications/2008Publications/2008VisitorGuide/SportsRecreation.pdf

That is a damn good question. You are the man with the research! I've been there I-don't-know-how-many times, and I didn't know that.

Fwiw, if anyone is interested, there's a good aerial picture of the facility on the same page as that listing. You can get some idea of how 'enclosed' the bays are; with the building spanning the width behind the range, and the slight arc of the structure, there's very little airflow through and no where for smoke to go.

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
You just keep talking and talking and talking until you can talk yourself into justifying a law that SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN PASSED BECAUSE IT IS CONVENIENT FOR YOU TO DO SO. You are the same guy who drives the speed limit in the fast lane just to make sure that everyone doesn't break the law. You feel it is your duty to run everyone else's life and take away THEIR FREEDOM TO CHOOSE FOR THEMSELVES. In this case, its the right of a business owner to decide for himself how to run his own business. You same people will stomp up and down for the right for a woman to choose to kill and unborn baby but not for the right for a private business owner ? If you want a smoke free driving range, put up the cash and start your own! There are no Buts about it. Its a simple issue. We don't have to define what "is" is to resolve it.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
You just keep talking and talking and talking until you can talk yourself into justifying a law that SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN PASSED BECAUSE IT IS CONVENIENT FOR YOU TO DO SO. You are the same guy who drives the speed limit in the fast lane just to make sure that everyone doesn't break the law. You feel it is your duty to run everyone else's life and take away THEIR FREEDOM TO CHOOSE FOR THEMSELVES. In this case, its the right of a business owner to decide for himself how to run his own business. You same people will stomp up and down for the right for a woman to choose to kill and unborn baby but not for the right for a private business owner ? If you want a smoke free driving range, put up the cash and start your own! There are no Buts about it. Its a simple issue. We don't have to define what "is" is to resolve it.

I have no idea if you're talking to me or not, but if you are, you're wrong. I'm definitely not the guy driving the speed limit; I'm the guy doing whatever speed I feel comfortable with, and getting annoyed with people who can't understand 'Keep right unless passing'. That's actually the same issue; you can do whatever you want with your car/body but you have to respect the rest of us who may not be suicidal.

88cupfan, out of curiosity, do you also support legalization of currently-illegal narcotics and, for that matter, prostitution? I'm curious about this idea of yours that laws should never be applied to business owners, and/or exactly where you'd draw that line.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Seems you are the one providing no support for your claim outside of entitlement, and personally you couldn't be farther from the truth in your inferences if you are referring to me. But if you want to make it personal, then by all means.

Personally I could care less if a state allows smoking in their local establishment. Seems to me you are the one who feels entitled to run everyones elses life because you feel people should be able to do as they please even outside of the law or their own integrity. Which with no support outside of entitlement, it at least makes you appear to be acting of the ultimate judge of right and wrong. Seems like a rather lazy or even an egotistical attitude to me, but that is your choice. Just don't ask me to defend your stance or feel sorry for you when you try to say you should be entitled with no support or forthright to your actions and you end up in jail and Bubba tells you all about what you are entitled. Because you provide absolutely no support for your claim, but instead just criticism of what other think with no support other than you know you are right.

I further think this conversation is pointless because I honestly think based on your comments and support for actions that clearly lack integrity, you likely lack the same integrity that your preach. Or does that whole integrity thing only apply to the customer and not the business owner because he owns the property. Sorry, I try and maintain the same level of integrity no matter where I am at the time. I find it hard to view it as anything other when the whole basis for your argument is that anyone willing to open a establishment has every right to operate outside of the law and further does not even need to stand behind their own stated convictions. Whether I follow the law or not is my choice and I am willing to live with my decisions. If I feel something is wrong I make an effort to do something about it if I feel strongly. I don't just say I am entitled.

I guess if I wish to provide no thought or support for my opinion, I could have just as easily taken your lackadaisical approach and just stated over and over and over and over again that "If you don't like how your state and country operate, then move, and don't ask us to fight your battles" Then follow it up with 'I'm right, because I know I'm right"

Personally I think I've already supplied enough prior support that seemed to be completely ignored, probably due to lack of being able to support the opposite side, for which until it is addressed this conversation has become pointless IMO.

88cupfan

Jan 5, 2009
Typical. On and on and on she goes. You just took up 2000 words of space to say the same thing over and over and over again. I try to make it easy for you to understand. Thats why I give small little examples to make my point. I understand how difficult it is to get through to people who think like you. You think that by your many words you can reason your way to some kind of brilliant understanding. I'm the one who wants to give the choice (power) to the people and you want the government to decide every behavior for you and me. Its that simple pal. No support needed to realize that!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Easy there, 88. You want to express your opinion, great! But please don't adopt a holier-than-thou attitude with us. It doesn't last long around here.

🔥 Latest posts