• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amateur looking for a new driver - what to do?

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
So I've been playing golf for two weeks now. And this is what I have in my bag.

Callaway 3 Wood
Ben Hogan BH-5's Iron Set from 4-9 + PW.
Wilson Sand Wedge.
Mizuno Putter (not sure which mizuno model) brand new.

I got all of these for free (i'm really lucky), and now I just need a driver. Now I have some multiple questions.

The first question is, should I buy an expensive really nice driver and learn
to master that, or should I buy a forgiving driver since I'm just learning? I'm
thinking the expensive quality one, because that way I can keep it for
many years.

Now once I've decided on that question, how do I know what kind of shaft
is best because I've seen there be some different levels of stiffness (and
excuse my crappy understanding of the game, like I said i'm just starting).

What are some recommended stores where I can test the shafts and find
which I like best? I know Sports Authority doesn't have this sort of set up.

Third question - Iron Head covers? Really necessary?

Thanks for any help you may provide. I really appreciate it.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So I've been playing golf for two weeks now. And this is what I have in my bag.

Callaway 3 Wood
Ben Hogan BH-5's Iron Set from 4-9 + PW.
Wilson Sand Wedge.
Mizuno Putter (not sure which mizuno model) brand new.

Picture of the Mizuno? I've been wanting one, hehe.

I got all of these for free (i'm really lucky), and now I just need a driver. Now I have some multiple questions.

The first question is, should I buy an expensive really nice driver and learn
to master that, or should I buy a forgiving driver since I'm just learning? I'm
thinking the expensive quality one, because that way I can keep it for
many years.

Forgiveness and price are not positively correlated. In fact, one of the cheaper most forgiving drivers is the Ping G10, at 300 dollars. I'd recommend this one or the FT-i.

Now once I've decided on that question, how do I know what kind of shaft
is best because I've seen there be some different levels of stiffness (and
excuse my crappy understanding of the game, like I said i'm just starting).

Find a local shop that fits you. We do it, and it helps a lot of people. There are a lot of different things that you can look for in a shaft, primarily kickpoint and torque. Don't worry about flex so much as whats the best fit.

What are some recommended stores where I can test the shafts and find
which I like best? I know Sports Authority doesn't have this sort of set up.

Sports Authority sucks, bottom line. Where are you from? I'd say try and find a locally owned and operated golf store, usually offer the most service.

Third question - Iron Head covers? Really necessary?

I use them, but I also have soft forged irons, and I'm anal about nicks. I hate seeing my clubs and seeing little dings from the clubs knocking on eachother. Again, where are you from? They can be hazardous with high humidity, as the moisture can get caught within the cover and possibly cause rust.

Thanks for any help you may provide. I really appreciate it.

:) Read da post mon.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd say just ask at a shop about drivers and shafts. They should be able to steer you in the right direction after seeing your swing. Drivers are not really all that different these days. I've had plenty and hit a "player geared" driver a lot better than the supposed "forgiving" ones. Has a lot to do with feel for me.

I'd say look into a driver and then a hybrid. About a 20* would fit in perfect with the 3W and 4iron for now. If you click on the "proshop" up top, it will take you to GlobalGolf. They are one of our sponsors and have really good deals on used clubs. There should be a lot of hybrids and drivers on there. Also don't be afraid to post a "looking to buy" ad in classifeds. Plenty of us have clubs collecting dust that might be great for you.

OP
O

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
I'm from Marin County, so in San Francisco near the bay.

The mizuno looks like this.
golfcentreonline.co.uk/images_mizuno/putters.jpg

(i had to seperate the url because I haven't made 15 posts yet haha)
It even came with the case (thats what my friend gave it to me with so I don't know if that's standard).

How do you know if your iron is soft forged or not? Are Ben Hogan BH-5's soft forged?

And there is a store here called the "Golfmart" that i'll probably check out. They look good. Will I have to pay to get fitted and all that stuff, like them helping me find out what works best for me

OP
O

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
I'm sorry about how stupid I sound, but by 20* you mean 20 degrees, and if so, isn't that an unusually large angle for a driver? Don't most people have them around 8-13?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm from Marin County, so in San Francisco near the bay.

The mizuno looks like this.
golfcentreonline.co.uk/images_mizuno/putters.jpg

(i had to seperate the url because I haven't made 15 posts yet haha)
It even came with the case (thats what my friend gave it to me with so I don't know if that's standard).

How do you know if your iron is soft forged or not? Are Ben Hogan BH-5's soft forged?

And there is a store here called the "Golfmart" that i'll probably check out. They look good. Will I have to pay to get fitted and all that stuff, like them helping me find out what works best for me

Golfmart? Are you in Albuquerque? Probably not, but we have one of those here.

"Soft forged" is just forged, which is notoriously softer than cast. I'll let Warbird explain the differences between the two. I don't believe yours are forged.

That is a beautiful putter.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No, not a driver, lol. I was just mentioning that a 20 degree hybrid would be a good fit in between your 3w and 4iron for now. The 4i is 24* and the 3W is probably 15*. Truthfully, you should probably just start out playing with the 3W as your driver but then again, we all should. The "kill the ball" instinct takes over and the swing goes to heck with a driver for me most of the time.

OP
O

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
again, sorry for sounding stupid, but what's the difference between a hybrid and any other club? i know it's a mix between an iron and wood, but what good does that do for the club as a whole? thanks again for being patient and helping me through this

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Hybrid is just a lot easier to hit than a low lofted iron, like the 3iron that would match your set. The sole makes it forgive a slightly fat shot (hit behind the ball a bit) and it's easier to hit out of longer grass as well as will get the ball up in the air more. A 7wood would also fit the bill, those are like your 3W but about 21* usually.

As for drivers, they are all just about the same performance wise now. The max size is 460cc's and the max COR is .830 (basically the rebound effect of the ball off the face) so all have been maxed out since like 2005-2006. If you spent $100 on a used Nike Sasquatch, R7 460, R5, Cleveland Launcher, Ping G2 or Callaway FT-3 it'll be pretty much the same as the new ones that go for $300-$500. Just get one that you like as far as looks, feels comfortable to swing and gives you confidence. After that it's all about the shaft.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Welcome to Shot Talk.

Check into a Cleveland HiBore XL, Ezra hates them, but he is a little :prop:, j/k Ez. You can get them pretty cheap brand new now and they are a excellent driver. Seeing as how your just starting, I'm guessing your swing speed isn't that high, so I'd go with a regular flex. You can always have it re-shafted as your swing speed increases.

And that is a good looking putter you've got there. You say it was given to you? You have some incriminating tidbits of information on this friend, :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't hate the XL, just doesn't work for my swing. Launch angle and spin rates didn't match up well for me. 9.5* was too low spin with decent launch and the 10.5* was good spin but too high a launch. FWIW it's the lowest spinning head I've hit on a monitor... by like 6-700rpms.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I was just under 13* with a 9.5* (red shaft)but spin was at 2200-2300. I put it up against an R510TP and the launch was nearly the same but the 510 was at 2800-3000 spin and that had a TP757 Xflex in it. BTW, the 9.5* FTi I had was at 14.5-15* launch but spin was up around 3500+. That thing staying in the air forever. That 8.5* was a mistake, way too much shaft. I should have gone with the 686S flex in the 8.5* or got a lower launch and spin shaft for the 9.5*. I've yet to hit the quadTP on a monitor but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's at about 13.2-13.5 launch with 2900-3100 spin. It's got to be so close optimal for me it's not worth messing with. The only thing I'd change is to get more forgiveness. It's made to work the ball, even when I don't want to... which with driver is like always.

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
As a noob myself, I've found pretty good success with my Nickent 3DX Square driver. It has a sound that some people find atrocious, to say the least, but it's definitely a good beginner driver, and can be had brand new for 100 bucks even anywhere now. Another driver that I've tried is the Cleveland Hibore XL. It took me a few holes to get used to it, but once I figured it out, it was nearly as straight as my Nickent, and possibly a little further. That can be had for 150 (possibly cheaper) brand new also. Can't go wrong with either of those two drivers though, that's for sure.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The first question is, should I buy an expensive really nice driver and learn to master that, or should I buy a forgiving driver since I'm just learning? I'm thinking the expensive quality one, because that way I can keep it for many years.
Oh man, that's a good one. No really, you really gave me a good belly laugh on that one...:biglol:

🔥 Latest posts