• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amateur looking for a new driver - what to do?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Hybrid is just a lot easier to hit than a low lofted iron, like the 3iron that would match your set.

Hybrids were invented by the devil himself. Truly evil clubs that have no business being in the bag. Course if I could get over my mental block & learn how to hit one off the deck or out of the rough than I might change my attitude towards those devil sticks.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Welcome as a Ben Hogan Fan Boy :)
look at WITB sigs here, and theres quite a few of us!

I'm a begginer too. and have 3 drivers..well heck, why not.
basically of the three they are all similar. except the Nickent 3dx thats only $100, it does seem a lot heavier to swing. if you swing a bit faster (whatever that is) it might be the best deal. mine is a regualr flex shaft, but seems to need a "regular +" swing speed, else the distance is low.
thats just my take.

as for say, a 3 or 4 hybrid....you can get Ben Hogan CTI hybrids used for $25 to $40. get a steel shafted one. it's really not to hard to hit, and when hit well, is quite rewarding. I have an Adams 5 hybrid as well, and the Hogan Hybrid, though "older", hehe, seem to work just as well as "newer".

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
"Soft forged" is just forged, which is notoriously softer than cast. I'll let Warbird explain the differences between the two.

JEFF4i

They forge low carbon steel because it's easier to hammer into shape then the stainless steel the cast irons are made from. Softer so they ding up easier and rust easier then the stainless steel cast clubs. Some say you get more feel from them.... :rolleyes:

And buy a Ping G10. You can't do better then that. See all the reviews on them in the review section. :)

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Find a demo day in your area and spend a day hitting every driver they will let you hit (including shaft combinations). Demo days are in full swing right now, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one at a range, or course with a range. (Hitting into a net is useless.)

There is no substitute for actually trying the goods.

Oh, and nice Bettinardi putter!
ai340.photobucket.com_albums_o325_HarryLongshanks_emoticons_good_1.gif

OP
O

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
as for say, a 3 or 4 hybrid....you can get Ben Hogan CTI hybrids used for $25 to $40. get a steel shafted one. it's really not to hard to hit, and when hit well, is quite rewarding. I have an Adams 5 hybrid as well, and the Hogan Hybrid, though "older", hehe, seem to work just as well as "newer".

Where can I get the Ben Hogan CTI Hybrid for so cheap? Suggestions of websites? Or here?

Secondly, I found a Taylormade Burner that I like that a friend has. He hasn't been using it much at all. It's 3 months old, and he uses it about once a week. It has no damage to it besides a cut on the top part of the head, so that really doesnt impact the swing. He's offering to me for $100 and I think I might take it. It's a great deal on a great (supposedly) driver. It retails at 299, at least where I've seen it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.