• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amazing!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played my first full round, this morning, after total knee replacement. Just 5 weeks out from surgery. Shot 44/41 for an 85... and missed 3 short putts!!!!

Still cannot believe the lack of pain in the new knee. Still a little reluctant to put a lot of weight through and onto the new knee. The orthopedic surgeon cautioned against "twisting" too soon.

Played 9, last night, in a "stag" at the course. That was the first time I'd had my own clubs in my hands since the surgery. Shafts felt extremely stiff. And a 9 hole scramble... with darkness closing quickly... didn't give me much chance to get a good feel for where I was.

This morning, the clubs felt more like their old selves. And, that FTi is unbelievable!!!! Was tied, after the first three holes, with my buddy. He told me if he got beat by a "cripple", he'd give up the game. At the end of the front nine, he had me by a stroke. I was at 44. He carded a 43. Hole 10 is a nice par 5. I birdied it and he doubled it. From that point on, he fell apart. As noted above, I went 44/41. He went 43/52!!!!! He owns half my cart!!!! Told him I would need time to advertise for another cart partner, since he was quitting the game!!! He replied with some liturgy of lounge lizard language that is not printable on a "family" forum. Said he would get me next time... even if he had to use a 9-iron on the good knee!!!!!! Thought I was going to have to share my Vicodin to get him calmed down!!!!

Let's hope we have a long fall season before winter sets in. I'm ready!!!!!!

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
looks like someone is BACK---congrats to Mr. Bionic.

Next time hole those short putts. OK?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I guess 'limpalong' doesn't really fit anymore does it....should have one of the mods change it to bionicknee as zaph suggested!

Glad to see you back on the course!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Gentlemen, we have the technology, we can make him better, stronger, faster.

WTG Limpalong, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Whoa, dude!!!! 5 weeks is WAY TOO EARLY to be hitting golf balls!!!!!

Chipping and putting maybe, but no full swings.

Does your orthopedic surgeon know? He may jam that FTi up your ass! :D

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

Chipping and putting maybe, but no full swings.

Does your orthopedic surgeon know? He may jam that FTi up your ass! :D

They told me 7 days was way too early to drive!
They told me 2 weeks out was way too early to be pushing a lawn mower!
They told me 3 weeks out was way too early to ditch the walker and cane!
They told me not to expect more than the 65 degrees ROM I had before the surgery... and, today, I was measured at 88 degrees!
They told me 5 weeks out was way too early to be swinging a golf club!

My wife says I hear fine... I just don't listen!!!!
I have been extremely cautious about twisting and turning my weight forward to the left (replaced) knee. For the most part, have tried to keep the bulk of the swings "punch" shots that don't apply "twist".

I've had 2 "visits" with the surgeon. The knee replacements are much more durable than a hip replacement. The recovery cycle can be longer due to ROM issues and pain issues. He says if I overdo it, pain and swelling will be the telling issue. I've had neither after what little I've hit the small white ball. If there has been any pain, it's been the "good" knee, calf muscles, back, shoulder... everything that normally aches as activity collides with a 60+ year old body.

Honestly, I do not believe I have generated any stresses through my activities that have equaled the manipulation the knee sees 3 times/week in physical therapy.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It sounds great Limpy. But as the guys are saying take it easy. It would be a disaster at this point to push it too far too soon. Slow and steady progress.

IG

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Superb! It's amazing what they can do these days... 30 years ago and you may not be golfing due to that bad knee now they can pop a new one in! Take it easy and enjoy it Bionic knee!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Don't let anyone tell you it's too early Limp, you will know what is ok to do as your body will let you know.

Docs told me not to even think about golfing for 3 months after my surgery, I waited 5 weeks.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Way to go limp!

I've been having pain in my ankles. They feel like sprained ankles. Dr. said it was arthritis. Oh great. Wonder if they make replacement ankles. :confused:

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Way to go limp!

I've been having pain in my ankles. They feel like sprained ankles. Dr. said it was arthritis. Oh great. Wonder if they make replacement ankles. :confused:

Shoulda kept some of those 50+ drivers you played in about 6 weeks time. Coulda remove the feet, right above the ankle and inserted driver heads. You would have had prosthetic "feet/ankles" for the rest of your life!!!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts