• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

American College Football thread...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
So let's talk a bit about the season...

The Tide was projected to do very little - maybe around a 7-4 season. We put two offensive linemen in the NFL last year and were really young up front. They played well in games 3-5 but somehow got frigging worse after that. I do not understand this at all but in the last 3-4 games, they've been the worst in the SEC. At the same time, we are leading the nation in scoring defense...

But anyway, the Crimson Tide Nation is pretty pumped about the program. Stadium is under expansion now and will seat 92,000 next year. Two weeks ago I took my 14 yo daughter and a friend to see Utah State. Thought I would walk up and buy tickets on the street for cheap...wrong. 3 seats for the Alabama - Utah State game set me back $270....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Bill Snyder Retired as Head coach of Kansas State. Yeah, I know, no one cares about Kansas football, and it is not quite as interesting as the LSU~Bama game, but any Kansas fan can only admire the possiblity if demise for Kansas State football.

That and it didn't seem they were quite as interested as in the other thread, so I didn't want you to think no one appreciatted you creating the thread.

Kansas beat Nebraska for the first time after suffering 36 straight losses. Something that quickly forgotten after the 66-14 thrashing they took from Texas. Well, quickly forgotten by everyone but Kansas and Nebraska fans. For Kansas fans, it meant a successful football season, for Nebraska fans it means they spend the offseason wondering how they reached this new low in the college football food chain.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
UTK football is in the crapper. My personal feelings...

This season is a spotlight on a steadily declining offense since the '98 MNC. Phil Fulmer needs to hire a more proficient OC, and then get his fingers out of the donut jar-- let the new OC do his job. CPF SHOULD stay as HBC and do what he does well-- recruit, rat on Bama, etc... (Sorry Bravo, couldn't stop that one. :D)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks for the reply here. LBC and GoFlyers (from DG) will definitely talk college football with you. We don't have much interest in American college football over here and that is fine...

My dad went to OU so I am quite familiar with the Big 12 and I noted KU's win over Nebraska...you got steamrolled by a great Texas team.

There's always basketball...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Bravo said:
There's always basketball...
My favorite saying every year. Can't wait for the MAUI Classic next week. I will be out in Arizona on a golf vacation so it should be easier to stay up and watch. They get Arizona in the first round. It is the first time they have gone into a season unranked in quite some time

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I use to be a big fan of pro football but that's changed over the last few years. It doesn't help that I like the Packers and they're 2 & 7.

I've watched Texas since we moved here in 93 and this year's team is far better than any I've seen in past. Vince Young has also turned out to be better than I ever thought he would be. Good thing that Mack Brown doesn't listen to guys like me.

I always knew he was a great athlete but I felt he' be just an ok quarterback. Now I realize he's an amazing athlete, a very good quarterback but an even better leader. He just doesnt' choke anymore. At least he and the rest of the team haven't yet.

If they don't screw up in their next two games it should be a great Rose Bowl.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Dave:

I think the Horns are going to give USC pure hell in the Rose Bowl..should be much better competition than OU was last year...It should be a great game.

In the Big 12 Championship game they will play Colorado??

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Bravo said:
Dave:

I think the Horns are going to give USC pure hell in the Rose Bowl..should be much better competition than OU was last year...It should be a great game.

In the Big 12 Championship game they will play Colorado??
"Iowa State can clinch another share of the Big 12 North title if Colorado loses to Nebraska on Nov. 25 and the Cyclones beat Kansas the following day. If Missouri loses at Kansas State Saturday, the Cyclones would advance to the championship game. Missouri would go if there's a three-way tie."

Colorado 5-2 7-3
Iowa State 4-3 7-3
Missouri 4-3 6-4
Nebraska 3-4 6-4
Kansas 2-5 5-5
Kansas State 1-6 4-6

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well that race is still wide open....

BTW Jayhawk - I am a college basketball fan too. We opened last night in the Preseason NIT and won over Miami-Ohio. Our next game is in Tuscaloosa on Thursday night against Memphis.

Should be a goodie. We lost our two leading scorers off last years team but are still ranked #15 going into the season. We have three veterans and a bunch of other athletic players but still nothing that will really make a big run in the NCAA tournament next Spring....

GoFlyers

Dec 18, 2004
Bravo said:
We don't have much interest in American college football over here and that is fine...

Are you suggesting there is an interest in Canadian University football??? Grin.

With Bama losing last week the Rose Bowl is all but set. Texas vs. USC. After watching the Texas Ohio State game I really didn’t think Texas could hang with USC… but then USC played ND and everything changed. I hope this game lives up to its hype. That would be great.

Meechigan vs OSU this Saturday… should be a good one!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We have the Iron Bowl here this week...Alabama vs. Auburn...the most intense rivalry in college football.

Tigers are favored by 7.

GoFlyers

Dec 18, 2004
Bravo said:
We have the Iron Bowl here this week...Alabama vs. Auburn...the most intense rivalry in college football.

Tigers are favored by 7.

Auburn is favored by 7? That seems high. The Bama defense is way to good for that point spread.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The home field advantage in this game is pretty strong. Add to that the fact that we have a really bad offensive line and there is a good chance that we may only score 3-7 points. I am not kidding - the O line is truly that bad...

Should be a good game though and Bama will give them all they can handle...

I wish you could attend an Iron Bowl sometime. The atmosphere is really electric...If Bama wins, we are told that we will play Notre Dame in the Fiesta bowl.

15,000 Tide fans would travel to Arizona for that one.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
This weekends BIG game

The apple cup will be played at the UW this weekend, I do not even think the players families care.:)

At least we got the Seahawks baby.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Davebud said:
The apple cup will be played at the UW this weekend, I do not even think the players families care.:)

At least we got the Seahawks baby.

This is Life and Death between the fans of these two teams. The game is talked about all year.

There is an ironic twist to this game: The fans take it too seriously and can act like complete asses. In contrast, the players usually have exemplary behavior before, during and after the game. On the field, it is one of the cleanest games of each season, with great respect shown between the teams.

It's the idiotic middle-aged adults in the stands that make it so intense. When their team loses, their self-esteem is affected....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.