• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

An Enigmatic Player Who 'Lives Down to Expectations'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
FOLLOWING IS A GOLF ANECDOTE. As you read it, consider the identity of the player on the range.
"Do you ever play out here?" [I said to a player who was hitting balls on the back of the range].
He looked at me like that was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard.
Then he said, "Why would I do that when I can stay here and hit balls all day?"
Sure enough ... seven hours later, he's still there hitting balls.
From what I've witnessed though, he's great with the young guys, particularly with the ones who're struggling. He's always made time for them, helped them out. He's very generous.​
Maybe, like me, a certain golf legend came to mind as you read the anecdote. It sounds a lot like Ben Hogan, doesn't it?

But it's not.

The player on the range is the "enigmatic" Vijay Singh. The person telling the anecdote is former PGA Tour player turned broadcaster Brad Faxon. It comes from a Global Golf Post story by Steve Eubanks. Read it here.

Reporting from the U.S. Senior Open in Columbus Ohio (won by Gene Sauers), Eubanks wrote about Singh's troubled history with the media and the PGA Tour, which is nearly all we know about the three-time major champion from Fiji. Of course, as is often the case, there's more to Singh beneath the harsh veneer.

"According to many of his peers, he's a witty and interesting man with a lot of insight and an incredible life story,"

But Vijay is reluctant to share it, or much of anything, at least publicly. Eubank's piece on Singh is an interesting read if you have a few minutes.

Source: An Enigmatic Player Who 'Lives Down to Expectations'

🔥 Latest posts