• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

An interesting day....

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have a prospective new client in Long Island NY, about 20 miles east of NYC. Over the weekend, I am getting ready for a quick trip up and back....Leave at 8 am on Monday - arrive 11:00 and depart to return home Tuesday at 5:00.

I check various websites and they say the weather Monday is going to be great in NY - mid-50's and sunny. Also said Tuesday was going to be rainy with a little snow and a high of 44.

So I am packing the bags...two sweaters...a lightweight but decent jacket, a pair of cordoroys and a pair of lined Khaki's...And as usual - that extra pair of underwear just in case...

Flight up is beautiful. See the country all the way...arrive to a very sunny day. Eat at a great Italian restaurant for lunch. Four courses...Appetizer - mussels, Caesar salad, a pasta and then Veal Parmigana (I Love how New Yorkers call it "Veal Parm". The entire meal: $12.95. I am stuffed...

Then good meetings on Monday. Tuesday is looking good business wise. My 1:00 has been moved to 11:00....maybe I can go home early.

I get up this morning and the TV stations are talking about a big snowstorm coming in at midday...Now I really want to get out of here before it hits...

Good meeting at 11:00. (I think I have an 85% chance of a new client)....and we depart for LaGuardia. We get there at 12:45 and it is snowing sideways.

I go to Delta and ask for an earlier non-stop flight that is leaving in just 30 minutes....and I get it! YES.

I go through security and rush to the gate.

The Flight Status monitors are showing cancelled flights left and right. And it is still snowing sideways outside.

I feel smug. I am gonna get the hell out of here.

Just 15 minutes to boarding.

15 minutes passes - then 30. LaGuardia looks like what you see on TV during a bad weather day. Long lines, pissed off passengers....

Then my flight on the monitor turns red - CANCELLED.

I am on the phone immediately and am making reservations with a good hotel about a mile from the airport. I am hedging my bets about the rest of the day.

Then, I get in the long line of passengers whose flights have been cancelled - while I am on hold with the hotel.

Finally the hotel res line answers and they want $180.00 for a room that I paid $90 for in December. They know the airport is having delays and prices have fecking doubled.

I take the rate and give credit card and right about the time she is going to give me my Confirmation Number - the cell phone drops signal...and by now - I have made my way up to the Delta res counter....

No flights home today. All cancelled.

I now know that I either get a hotel or I spend the night on the beautiful carpet of the Fiorello LaGuardia International Airport.

My cell phone is not getting a good signal. I go over to some pay phones and start calling the hotel res line...hoping mine went through before the line dropped.

In the meantime, passengers for a flight to Orlando are reading books/newspapers and oblivious to the entire affair. I tell them - there are no planes landing at the airport and if no planes come in - no planes go out. We are chatting while I am on hold.

Then, hotel res comes on the line. She cannot find my res! I give my additional info and suddenly she finds it and gives me my Confirmation#.

OH yeah - No spending the night on the floor in the airport for this guy....

So now I make my way out to Ground Transportation - looking for the hotel Shuttle. I see a family of four talking about a hotel. I tell them about my hotel which I know is a good property. I give her the number. She has two kids holding her by the pants legs.

She dials. No rooms left....

Life on the road....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Brutal.

This time of year, you never know.

It was pouring rain here on Saturday. POURING!

It snowed about 3 inches here today. Tommorrow they're calling for +4. Then more snow this weekend.

I'm glad i'm not in NY.....for many reasons... ;)

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK - Sling you got me...but I have to say that I really like it here.

The food is unbelievable. When I get here - I go fish at every meal. Mussels, clams...I had crabcakes last night that were great.

So, yeah the NE did get me today but you have much to be happy about....(as Al Roker says)..."in your neck of the woods".

In the meantime....back at the ranch - I have a 9:00 tee time on Saturday morning, with a friend who I have not seen in 20 years who lives in (New) Jersey....

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Muscles are nice but a tough job eating them I got them the other night at a posh resturant, and the guy brought me a hot bowl of wtaer for my hands because the get so messy but they are nice.

Anyway The master out time for bed and a good late night movie on. ;)

S

spankdoggie

That is a nightmare scene at the airport. Strangely, I have never had an airport delay, but I have only been on about maybe... 70-100 flights?

$12.95 for a meal like that? Inexpensive!

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
spankdoggie said:
That is a nightmare scene at the airport. Strangely, I have never had an airport delay, but I have only been on about maybe... 70-100 flights?

$12.95 for a meal like that? Inexpensive!

Come to NY and eat in an authentic Italian restaurant - run by Sicilians....its the real deal..

🔥 Latest posts