• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

And I thought cricket was dull!

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
But then the dullness scale had to be completely re-evaluated when i watched baseball.

I think American sports seem a little dull in general really. Basketball entertained me for a short spell but then you realise it just consists of run to one end - score, run up the other end - score (ad nauseum). Motor racing is dumbed down by having great big oval tracks reducing the skill required from the driver. I would love to see a great US football team and rugby team compete in each others games (and possibly a big brawl).

Feel free to launch an attack on our games/agree/insult etc, I'm just expressing an opinion.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Basketball games should start at 90 points each then teams should play "next basket wins". Would save a lot of time.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Basketball games should start at 90 points each then teams should play "next basket wins". Would save a lot of time.

That's like saying all golf tournaments should start on the green of the 72nd hole, from 20ft. away. I used to play a lot of b'ball. Great game, need to be super fit, strong and fast. There is a lot of strategy, set-pieces, it's very fast, end to end stuff but it also has it's subtleties.

My grief is with sports like cricket. I love the one day stuff. The test stuff is just too long for the non-officianado.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Naw, cricket is just simply the most pish, man - it has to be said !!
Not a fan of these American "stop-start" games, though. American Football has to be the worst. Sheer sh1t, tbh. . !

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
I know what you mean with american football. Snap, a flurry of activity for 4 seconds then a tackle is made and the game's off again and we wait for a new team to come on and then the next play. Plus the time outs. A real game of stamina. And you get five downs to make ten yards? Come on! Three hours later and 30 yards gained, TV off.

That said I'm a cricket lover, especially test cricket. I know that's stop start as well, but somehow it's different. Nobody kids that it's an hour long though, it says right up front that this could take five days. Five straight days watching one of your favourite sports for 6 hours? When I was at uni that was the life. Brilliant.

I guess it's a matter of what you're brought up on.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Andy_79 said:
Naw, cricket is just simply the most pish, man - it has to be said !!
Not a fan of these American "stop-start" games, though. American Football has to be the worst. Sheer sh1t, tbh. . !

Riots in the stands and throwing road flares doesn't count as action, dude...:D

R35

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Andy_79 said:

You're not wrong on that one. Changing the team every 5 yards? wtf?? Stopping play because there's a coke advert scheduled on the box??

Absolutely dreadful.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
These "opinions" are based on what?
Initial impressions or are you familiar enough with the nuances of the games to make an informed opinion?

I suppose it's easy to disparage these things when you don't understand what you're watching. ;)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Nice to see how geography plays such a role in this. Ask the average american to elaborate on European football and he might say the same things. Personally, I am a baseball fanatic. I enjoy the finer points of the sport that are not obvious to most. If interested (i doubt any would be) see the following thread... http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20775#post20775

Anyways, I feel the same way about american football. It's the little things that make it great. Why does LT rush for so many yards?? Sure he's a talented dude, but it's his O-Line that are able to clear up some space for him to make those plays. I'd also just as soon watch a fast mike linebacker get up into the hole as well to stop a run play from materializing.

I guess, it's really what you are exposed to. I am not going to be as ignorant to come down on cricket and european football, because I have not spent a lot of time watching them. The little football I watched (world cup) I found quite enjoyable... but then again I am a sports nut and am glued to ESPN most of the day and can find the spellimg bee entertaining LOL

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
These "opinions" are just that. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on the circumstances or how you look at it, nobody needs any qualifications to express an opinion on anything. Value it at what you paid for it.
I will say that I have not watched a lot of american football. But what I have seen has not inspired me to watch any more.

Plenty of people disparage golf because its "boring", and I can see how they think that. Most people don't have an appreciation of the mad skillz that are involved. Same goes for cricket - the gentle art of setting a field to a batsman, delicate placement of shots etc. Some people will never get it cos they don't wanna. Their loss. American football will not mourn losing me as a potential spectator.

I hate tennis as a spectator sport. For some reason we televise a lot of swimming in Australia. Why? I don't know. It is the biggest snooze-fest since american football :p . Someone watches this stuff.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
These "opinions" are based on what?
Initial impressions or are you familiar enough with the nuances of the games to make an informed opinion?

I suppose it's easy to disparage these things when you don't understand what you're watching. ;)

We all have opinions and in general they are based on personal experiences regardless of the subject.

Politics, sport, religion...whatever. All based on our personal experiences and prejudices through life.

We all disparage certain things, perhaps without full knowledge of the subject matter. Doesn't make our opinions invalid.

Life would be far more dreary without opinions, educated or otherwise!

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
VtDivot said:
but then again I am a sports nut and am glued to ESPN most of the day and can find the spellimg bee entertaining LOL

Then pay more attention next time! :D

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Excellent KA - I was wondering if anyone would catch that one ;)

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
IrishGolfer said:
I used to play a lot of b'ball. Great game, need to be super fit, strong and fast. There is a lot of strategy, set-pieces, it's very fast, end to end stuff but it also has it's subtleties.quote]

There are 3 good things about basket ball. 1- When they put those shows on demonstrating those crazy skills

2- USA got beaten in the olympics and everybody who knows the game had their jaws on the floor in amazement.

3- That episode of Futurama when the Globetrotters turn up (now that's entertainment!)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I find it sad that people take enjoyment in seeing the USA fail. I am a Canadian, and cheer for team Canada, in the Olympics etc, but I find it downright nasty when friends/family from home, other Canadians, or other nationalities, are always rooting against the US. I dunno if it's the anti-american political theme, little brother complex coming out in them or what. I have no respect for these people as sports fans.

English golfer - this is not a rant against you. You said "jaw on the floor in amazement", not Jumpiing for joy LOL :D

🔥 Latest posts