• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

And I thought I hated slicing!

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Left work today to get in some rounds of golf. I went by myself so I could work more on my game. First nine was very good for me. 42!

Then it all went downhill. I have always been a mad slicer with the driver. On the 2nd nine today I started pulling and hooking. I have never had this problem before in my life. I have no idea how it started. I even tried opening my driver face to get my slice back..........PULL or HOOK! Shot a 55!

I proceeded to play a 3rd set of nine holes because I knew if I couldnt figure this out I was gonna break my driver and quit this game. Anyway I moved the ball back in the middle of my stance (normally about an inch behind my front foot) and slightly opened the face and hit some nice straight 270 drives. I couldnt do this consistently though. I still hooked and pulled every other hole or so. Never sliced a drive after the first nine.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

FOR ANY OF YOU WHO THINKS SLICING IS BAD, TRY PULLING OR HOOKING

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
When I pull a shot I am usually turning the clubhead over too soon (breaking my wrists). Check out your swing path too. I was doing this at the range today. Take the club to the top of the swing and slowly bring it down to the ball. I was able to easily set up an out to in for a fade and an in to out for a draw. I am a mad slicer too, when I first got the R7 I must have hit 30 pull hooks in a row due to the slightly offset face. I almost brought the thing back to the store.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
VtDivot said:
you don't want this... trust me.

Someone once said you can speak to a hook but not to a slice. Personally I hit a draw from the tee and a fade into most greens.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
it doesnt go were u want it...and it doesnt go as far.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
nsherman2006 said:
whats wrong with a hook?

On the courses I play, for some reason at least 1 hole is OB left. That's the hole that a big, ugly hook likes to show up. I hit 2 with my driver yesterday. Where the heck did that come from?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
On the courses I play, for some reason at least 1 hole is OB left. That's the hole that a big, ugly hook likes to show up. I hit 2 with my driver yesterday. Where the heck did that come from?
Heh, I wonder what Ben Hogan would think about that.

Earlier this year, I went through a stretch where there's this pond on hole 2, off to the left. It's not even really in play, but it sits out there, and the only way you can go in is if you hit a bad, bad hook.

I think 3 or 4 straight times, I hit ugly hooks into that pond. And this is from a guy who almost always fades the ball, and I can only draw it if I really focus on getting the hand to release and turn over.

I think what happened was that I didn't focus on what I wanted to hit, on my shot. If you don't go up to the ball with a plan, then the wrong thoughts that are lurking take over in the absence of a plan. Result = stupid silly hook.

Since then, I try to make sure on that tee I always have a clear vision of my swing to produce my shot.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.