• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

And I wonder why I can't hit a fairway.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I've been in a major slump with my driver. I've been spraying balls all over the place. So, I decided to go to the tape.... My backswing is stupid long, my head is all over the place and my left arm breaks down like a lawn chair. I need to quit filming myself. It's killing my confidence. The flaws in my driver swing are so overwhelming that I think I'll just keep laying up all the time. :(

This particular swing sent the ball so far left that I almost hit someone's house. It was at least 50 yards off line.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Angle is weird, but it's not terrible...long back swing doesn't bother me much as long as the path is good.
Yeah, it's hard to diagnose at that angle. It was the only place I could tee up without standing in water. I was shooting between two trees and over a warehouse into a gravel parking lot. So I was unable to square up the camera. (Redneck driving range?) It was imperative that I get a few sings in because I'm playing in a 4-man scramble today.

The captain sent out a group text last night saying that I was the ringer and that we're going to win. Boy, is he in for a surprise, lol.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
AG, from that angle it looks OK to me. Like you said, the backswing is a little long, but you should be able to work with it.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
AG, from that angle it looks OK to me. Like you said, the backswing is a little long, but you should be able to work with it.
Thanks. Makes me feel a little better. I'm good for about 1 fairway out of every 4 swings, atm. I have very little confidence right now. Maybe I'll have a decent range session before we tee off today so I can get my head right.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Long back swing is ok as long as you stay on plane, maybe try hitting 3/4 stingers and see if that straightens you out. (coming from the guy battling the hook currently)

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Long back swing is ok as long as you stay on plane, maybe try hitting 3/4 stingers and see if that straightens you out. (coming from the guy battling the hook currently)
I feel like I might as well hit 3 iron if I'm going to have to resort to 3/4 shots with the driver. I've tried like hell to shorten my swing but it makes it hard to load up and get any power. Plus, I'm not any more accurate stopping my backswing earlier. I guess I just need more reps, idk.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I feel like I might as well hit 3 iron if I'm going to have to resort to 3/4 shots with the driver. I've tried like hell to shorten my swing but it makes it hard to load up and get any power. Plus, I'm not any more accurate stopping my backswing earlier. I guess I just need more reps, idk.
I felt the same way last Sunday. Shot an 83 which is avg for me but I know the driver fooked me on at least 5 holes. Hard to score when youre scramblin.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Another thing...look at the tree in the background just off your left hip. On the backswing you're sliding back and sliding forward through impact. Just an observation. Slow mo makes it easier to see.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Oohh Oohh pick me! I SEE FUNDERMENTAL!

You are releasing too early, . If you could get those hands to the ball more/ hold the angle coming down/ hands and club butt hiting water first etc. a lot of that other stuff will straighten up on its own.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Look at the hip high open angle of arms to club. That area is better if the club is closer to your shoulder and still holding potential.

🔥 Latest posts