• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

And the reason is?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hello mates.

Today I was at the range, and got the opportunity to compare a 9.5º Burner 07 on a stiff OEM shaft with my 10.5º Hibore XL reg Fujikura Gold (yes, the shaft sucks :D).

Normally my ball flight with the Hibore is too high for my taste, and it balloons quite a bit more than I would want. I was driving quite well today so even though I don't like my ball flight it was flying alright, around 240-250yds, and straighter than normal. Since my launch angle tends to be quite acute, I thought I was going to hit the ball with the Burner quite low due to the 9.5º (I hadn't realized I was playing a stiff shaft at that moment). What a surprise it was when I hit the TM and got a similar ball flight but with a lot less ballooning, with a yard loss of around 10-15 maximum. Then I realized I was playing a stiff shaft. I was very pleased with the results of the Burner, and now I am thinking:

1. Does the stiff shaft (the OEM RE-AX) gave me the better ball flight, or was it the 9.5º head?

2. Should I try to shaft the Hibore XL with a stiff shaft or change the head instead even though my Swing Speed goes around 100mi/h only? Or should I try and find a lighter shaft like the Re-Ax 50g?

3. Any other reason on why would my ball flight change that much? How does the Re-Ax shaft

4. Should I be looking to Ho a new 9.5 head or rather change my shaft? (Options are welcomed:D)

Thanks mates....

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
There may be absolutly no science to this what-so-ever and I really don't care but....

Change out that damn Fuji Gold!!

Bloody horrible shafts that can NOT be doing you any favours. Even an Aldila NV would be a better option than that P.O.S! :thumbs up:

But it does sound like you're getting too much spin from that head/shaft combo, causing the ballooning.

Keep the head and get a low/mid launch / mid spin shaft and you'll be laughing.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Keep the head and get a low/mid launch / mid spin shaft and you'll be laughing.

I know the Fuji Gold sucks, but I was kind of waiting to get fitted or something to get the real shaft I was needing, but its taking too long :D

Any good low budget recommendation?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Keeping in mind that Im not a club fitter or anything of the sort I would recommend you a VS Proto by you in stiff. Should be a little lower launching and lower spin for you and the VS Proto is a very reliable and consistent shaft. You should be able to find a .350 pull on the bay without any hassle at all and cheap as chips.

Edit: or if youre back in Oz let me know and I might have a couple of cheapo shaft options I can sling your way for a few bucks. Just sing out Xam!

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Keeping in mind that Im not a club fitter or anything of the sort I would recommend you a VS Proto by you in stiff. Should be a little lower launching and lower spin for you and the VS Proto is a very reliable and consistent shaft. You should be able to find a .350 pull on the bay without any hassle at all and cheap as chips.

Edit: or if youre back in Oz let me know and I might have a couple of cheapo shaft options I can sling your way for a few bucks. Just sing out Xam!

No, I'm not in OZ yet :( unfortunately, bu thank you very much for your offer, and I'm struggling in a place where I can't have anything over 42" sent home, and the "used" market is not behaving very well.

I have another question which might sound stupid but, how do I know what tip should I use for my driver? I mean, how do I know I need a .350 or a .335 for example? Is it in the drivers head or what?

What does it mean to have a .335 or a .350??

Thanks for the help mate....

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
.335 and .350 are really interchangeable. .350 can be sanded down a little (which is what .335 actually is) and .335 can be installed with a shim. Ideally you want the right size to save ourself a smidge of trouble, but it's not critical. I think the HiBore XL is .350. I don't know why I think that.

Aldila NVS or VS Proto would be good options; especially the NVS in driver.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd second the NVS. I didn't particularly care of it in the head I had it in, but I think it was a fine performer.

You need to knock the spin down, and a head is pretty important. I beleive that 07 Burner head is pretty low spin, as is the Tour Burner.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I'd second the NVS. I didn't particularly care of it in the head I had it in, but I think it was a fine performer.

You need to knock the spin down, and a head is pretty important. I beleive that 07 Burner head is pretty low spin, as is the Tour Burner.

So, would you advise to change the Hibore XL head or try a different shaft?

Should I remain with 10.5º or go down to 9.5º degrees?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Keep the 10.5º HiBore XL and put a Prolaunch Red in it. Its a killer combination. I had one and loved it, almost with I hadn't sold it to Rock.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
If he's looking to knock down spin he don't want the NVS, maybe the NV or VS, but that NVS has a softer tip in my experience.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
If he's looking to knock down spin he don't want the NVS, maybe the NV or VS, but that NVS has a softer tip in my experience.

True.. But I was thinking about it in the Burner head. I think it would be a good combo in the 9.5* head.

I have no idea about the HiBore head. My brother likes it, but only because his sits like 2* open to fight his disgusting hook.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.