• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Annika lately

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
She has to be so frustrated right now. Since the LPGA, which she really should have won, she has been striking the ball beautifully, but can not buy a putt right now. She only lost going into the MacDonalds LPGA playoff by one shot and honestly missed an easy 10-15 putts that she should have made over the four rounds. You know that she wants to finish this year strong and would be so disappointed in this year if she didn't win a few more. 10 tournaments left, I hope she gets at least one.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Do you think her heart is in it right now?

I'm not sure she is 100% focused on winning any more. I doubt its a conscious thing, but she just doesn't seem herself.

OP
soxngolf

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
Oh, I think so. I think she desperately wants to finish with a good season. I do think that this has all been harder for her than she expected. Her comments after the Evain kind of showed that.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Not only is she not quite playing her old game, others are stepping up and playing strong. She's got a tough road this season.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It all comes down to putting, doesn't it?

Some stats:
SBS - Won - 89 putts
McDonalds - T3 - 104 putts
Michelob Ultra - Won - 104 putts
Stanford - Won - 115 putts
Evian - T17 - 116 putts
Wegman's - T33 - 117 putts
Ginn - T32 - 126 putts

I'm not sure about the Stanford. That's a lot of putts to win.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
It all comes down to putting, doesn't it?

Absolutely. On the leaderboard of any tourney, check out the player-by-player stats. I like to compare the leaders to the ones at the bottom. Not all that much difference in yardage or fairways hit (usually). Some difference in greens in regulation. But the biggest difference by far is putts per round.

Annika is such a fierce competitor. This year was supposed to be all about going out on top. I can't imagine her giving less than 110% to anything.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
putting is a killer. but also i think everybody has stepped up there game knowing this is her last yr and wanting to show they are ready to take her place.

the way to do that is by beating probably the best female golfer ever.

OP
soxngolf

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
Lorena is also struggling of late. Not badly, but just can't finish it off. :)

Lorena had some family issues, her uncle passed away. Since the time she really hasn't been on her game. I just think her mind is somewhere else. Understandable, and I bet we will see her turn it around towards the end of the season. I don't think she will ever be back to the form she was in last year or even to begin this season. That was just such an extreme high level, she was bound to drop off.

OP
soxngolf

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
From Annika's blog:

Greetings from Sunningdale. This is the eve of the first round of our last Major of the year....and quite possibly my last ever. There have been a lot of questions about my emotions this week, which is understandable. Though I must admit, my focus is more on winning and playing good golf. I love the course, setup, and everything about this championship. I am teeing off at 7:25am tomorrow, so it's time to go to bed. Keep your fingers crossed for a memorable week

It would be great if she could win her last major...

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Do you think her heart is in it right now?

I'm not sure she is 100% focused on winning any more. I doubt its a conscious thing, but she just doesn't seem herself.

I would agree with Harry..They're too many distractions now.

OP
soxngolf

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
Well, she didn't win it, but 18 for 18 greens! WOW!:wow:

No, she has never been a great putter, but not many people have ever had the accuracy in their game like Annika.

I once read a story from a long drive hitter who was at the range with Annika before a pro-am. She said, "you know how most golfers pick a spot on the range and try to hit as close to it as they can? Annika picks a blade of grass and hits it every time."

🔥 Latest posts