• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Annual match between R35 and Bames

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Once again, I made the trek down to North Dakota to meet up with Bames at Hawktree GC. As many of you know, I make the trip down with the family only to set aside some of my well earned vacation time to suffer through a round at Hawktree. :emot-angel:

The day started off on a solemn note with Mr. Ames picking me up from the hotel in the rain, taking me on a trip along the Missouri river. If many of you don't know, Bismarck and surrounding areas are suffering from biblical levels of flooding and the gov't has been frantically building levees to hold back rising waters. Army Corps of Engineers is releasing headwaters in an attempt to alleviate stresses upstream, but that's not helping out many who live riverside. Sandbags are the norm, and some areas are a total loss. It's pretty disheartening to see.

After making the turn towards the course (which is safe from the flooding), I think we both had a moment to catch our breath and give thanks that we're not in the boots of those who are living out of their homes and are faced with a mammoth rebuild when waters subside - in two months, is what I am told. My thoughts are with them.

Pulling into the parking lot, I get goose bumps. If you are in the area of Bismarck and can spare a few hours, I encourage you to play Hawktree. It is a true gem, and might be my favorite course now. Top two, at the very least. Awesome practice facilities, top notch pro shop and great clubhouse. Parking is ample, and the course is brilliantly laid out in the valley. A few large homes dot the landscape, but none feel encroaching on the course, which is important to me with this type of setup.

The Doppler showed a delay for our tee time, but because it was so slow that morning, we had time to shoot the shit. Basically, B and I made fun of all you guys. :wink:

We decided we'd tempt fate and head out. Rain gear on, warmed up on the range, we tee'd off. Both of us hit great drives and good approaches to 30+ feet. Brandon subtly steps up and drains his 35 footer for bird like it's no big deal. I'm thinking "Geeze, this is going to be a long day!". At this point he reminds me that he and his team won a scramble here the day before shooting -13 with a couple of anchors in his group. The guy is obviously a shark! LOL!

I made my par, and wasn't particularly confident on these greens, which are perfect and deserve nothing but praise. Just the guy with the stick in his hands couldn't figure them out.

I think we both bogeyed the second hole after some stick handling on the greens. The 3rd is a downhill par 3, playing about 154 from our tees (there are 5 sets and many can be combined to create all sorts of 18 hole combinations). B played his a tad short, leaving him a long, long birdie attempt to which his lagged up to about 8 inches. I hit a 9 iron to about 4 feet, and promptly missed the birdie putt. It was just going to be one of those days. LOL.

After that, the weather cleared and the wind was perfect. No bugs, no excuses. Just us, the course and some good times.

I weaved my way to a 75 with some poor putting and B was somewhere in the low 80's with a couple hiccups on the par 5's. Score aside, i always enjoy B's company on that course, and in general.

(VT, we discussed me winning the lottery and grabbing you for a couple rounds down in South Carolina. So, pack your bags. ;) )

The trouble with this course is leaving. It's a place that is ALWAYS in perfect shape, black sand bunkers glistening and inviting you in. I could have played that day until my hands bled.

Again, I encourage anyone in that area to get there and play. What a gem.

I didn't bring my camera, as the shots would have been poor given the expected conditions (90% chance of showers all day, and overcast). But I have some others of previous trips down. I always feel at home at that course, both with the company (thanks again, B) and how that wonderful course fits my eye.

Cheers guys,

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sounds like a fun time. Who bought lunch?

Well, original plans called for B to show me his new indoor simulator facility that just came online a few weeks back. Housed in that centre is a sandwich shop. But due to the impending wrath of the river, B had everything shut down and lunch was cancelled. I was quite looking forward to the sandwich, but obviously understood the circumstances.

I'll just eat two when I kick his ass next year! :)

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Dude - SC, I'm in.

BTW - Are you a "Jets" season ticket holder now???

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dude - SC, I'm in.

BTW - Are you a "Jets" season ticket holder now???

No, I didn't get in on the first 11 minutes that they sold out in.

Still an Oil man, unfortunately.

R35

🔥 Latest posts