• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another 2 Hours Wasted by TNT

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Both Saturday and today, TNT broadcast the worst golf coverage I have ever seen.

In 2 hours, with players on the course, I can count the number of shots they showed on my fingers and toes. Instead, they focused on the announcers in the booth, players on the range, commercials, and filler segments.

And I'm now 1 hour, 20 minutes into the ABC broadcast on my DVR, and I still have yet to see anything resembling an acceptable golf broadcast.

Can we just have the Masters dictate the rules for all broadcasts of majors?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Both Saturday and today, TNT broadcast the worst golf coverage I have ever seen.

In 2 hours, with players on the course, I can count the number of shots they showed on my fingers and toes. Instead, they focused on the announcers in the booth, players on the range, commercials, and filler segments.

And I'm now 1 hour, 20 minutes into the ABC broadcast on my DVR, and I still have yet to see anything resembling an acceptable golf broadcast.

Can we just have the Masters dictate the rules for all broadcasts of majors?
The British was like that last year. I believe the ratio of golf to non-golf was in the neighborhood of 1 to 10.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I believe the golf was used as fillers between the commercials... :(

Whenever I DVR something, it amazes me how many commercials there are. For some reason I don't notice them when I'm watching something live. But when I'm fast forwarding through them it is shocking how many and how long they are.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Whenever I DVR something, it amazes me how many commercials there are. For some reason I don't notice them when I'm watching something live. But when I'm fast forwarding through them it is shocking how many and how long they are.

I can't watch golf live anymore because of that.

And I know it's been said a thousand times, but I'm sick of just seeing putts, with the occasional tee shot.

That's why I love the DirecTV bonus coverage of the U.S. Open and the Masters where they have a separate channel that just follows 1 group for 18 holes - showing every shot. Freakin' heaven!

It's especially nice with the Masters, because then you can go back and watch the full tourney with limited commercials (love the Masters for imposing limits on commercials).

Stooonne

Jul 17, 2008

And I know it's been said a thousand times, but I'm sick of just seeing putts, with the occasional tee shot.

That's why I love the DirecTV bonus coverage of the U.S. Open and the Masters where they have a separate channel that just follows 1 group for 18 holes - showing every shot. Freakin' heaven!

It's especially nice with the Masters, because then you can go back and watch the full tourney with limited commercials (love the Masters for imposing limits on commercials).

Is the group determined by the leaders or the most popular players? Sounds awesome.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
It's only on Thursday and Friday (we wouldn't want to infringe on the major networks weekend coverage with actual.good.golf.coverage
ai340.photobucket.com_albums_o325_HarryLongshanks_emoticons_rolleyes.gif
), so it's not the leaders.

For the 2008 U.S. Open, it was the Tiger/Mickelson/Scott group and the Els/Ogilvy/Rose (both groups, both days)

DIRECTV: U.S. Open Golf

I can't recall who the featured groups were for the Masters, but one was Tiger's group.

DIRECTV: The Masters Experience

I believe the same content is available as streaming video online, but it's so much better in HD on TV.

I was really hoping they would do the same thing for the British Open, but no.

When it's available, I always watch broadcast that follows one group before anything else. There is nothing like seeing every shot, every putt, every reaction, and every interaction between the players. You get much more out of the broadcast by seeing how one shot was determined by the previous shot, or even a competitor's shot.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Here's what I'd like to see:

Camera's at every green. Cameras following every group. A button on my remote that let's me watch whichever hole's coverage I want.

It could be done today.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

Is that a special channel with directv? or is it on the Golf Channel?

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008

Camera's at every green. Cameras following every group. A button on my remote that let's me watch whichever hole's coverage I want.

It could be done today.

No argument here. Probably not economically viable for the networks though.

Is that a special channel with directv? or is it on the Golf Channel?

Special channels. DirecTV enables channels 701-709. (1 is a menu, 4 are SD, 4 are HD) Of the 4 channels of additional programming, 1 is a "Mix" channel (sort of a picture-in-picture); 1 is the "Featured Group" channel; 1 is a simulcast of the main broadcast; and 1 is coverage of a single hole (usually a par 3).

They do a rotten job of advertising it, even to existing customers.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
No argument here. Probably not economically viable for the networks though.

Special channels. DirecTV enables channels 701-709. (1 is a menu, 4 are SD, 4 are HD) Of the 4 channels of additional programming, 1 is a "Mix" channel (sort of a picture-in-picture); 1 is the "Featured Group" channel; 1 is a simulcast of the main broadcast; and 1 is coverage of a single hole (usually a par 3).

They certainly do....I am sick I did not know about it....as I got up early to watch every stroke of the leaders...hopefully they will have this for the PGA Championship...love my DirecTV with the internet Video on Demand...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

It could be done today.

How does Tiger play all the holes at once?

R35

Irish

May 9, 2007
bbc coverage is magnificant...thursday and friday 12 hours of none stop golf, no ad breaks, saturday and sunday 6 hours of uninterupted golf coverage...no ads

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States

Harry Longshanks

I've got DirecTV. Is this a standard feature (with golf channel) or do you pay extra for it? :)

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I've got DirecTV. Is this a standard feature (with golf channel) or do you pay extra for it? :)

Standard as far as I know. I've never paid for it, or had to request it. DirecTV just starts broadcasting on channels 701-709.

They also had it for Wimbledon:
DIRECTV: Wimbledon Interactive

They had it for the 2007 Masters too, but I think this was the first year for the U.S. Open.

I can't remember how I found out about it last year, but that was the only way I knew to look for it this year. Usually, DirecTV has a small little blurb about it right before the event.

🔥 Latest posts