• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Beginner Thread...

S

Schris22

Hello Guys name is Chris and this is my first post..

I am a newbie and need help.

Ok here goes. I have done some searching and research on this sport popularly known as "golf" and what I need to improve my "game." The part most of you probably won't like is that I'm only interesting in hitting it far and high on the driving range not the course. It's true! I was just recently brought to a driving range and was given the most basic of tips from my brother who played for maybe a few months a few years ago! Anyway, I liked it a lot as a way to just relax and to keep me semi active (I have arthritis at 18 it's the official suck, but it's ok lots of things wrong with everyone. I was told despite pain to stay as active as possiable to a certain threshold to keep the joints from degrading...so at the driving range I discovered I was using all my joints and I think it's helping...anyway).

I have gone to the driving range all of 4 or so times and just yesterday when I went and hit for 3 hours straight, I averaged *gasp* 150-200 yards with my 1 wood. These distances are horrid, but I believe I can go to 250 without my massive slice (to the right...right?).

As far as equipment goes I don't know now, I am on my lunch break and haven't really paid attention. It is really old, maybe 10 years or so hand me down. I think it's spalding, the top of the club is gold and in cursive it says "Limited" thats about all I know. I have a footjoy spider glove.

I am currently typing with some missing skin on my left palm right where the finger meets the hand (forgot name) and some massive redness on pinke side of palm near wrist. On my right hand (i'm right handed) I am have a poped blister with a lot of skin scrunched up between first and second knuckle (between big knucle on finger and hand). I am almost certain I'm holding the club wrong because of all this.

I am not taking lessons and don't plan on it, as I can't quite justify taking lessons to just drive the ball for relief/exercise.

I am 5'8, 145, and my swing makes me feel like I'm at a batting cage.

I am looking for advice on a driver to help that is in the price range of 100 or less. Of course cheaper is better for me but whatever is a good "value". Looking for new but whatever works if yall strongly recommend a used something or other than thats fine. I'm open ears. I also think my massive slice is because my club face doesn't meet the ball evenly. It starts that way but when I am on my upswing it shifts for some reason which I can't figure out.

Also if there is any help on a short book (reading a lot of books already) or website that will help me with my driving game and swing technique, I am most appreciative.

Thanks for all the help and I hope I was detailed enough! If not let me know and I will gladly answer any questions...

Chris

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Welcome Chris.

It is beyond the capacity of this site or members to give you a crash-course in golf, but we are glad to have you and will be great at pointing you toward good resources to improve.

Golf instruction books are great for what you are looking for. Oddly enough, the KISS (Keep it Simple) Golf book was great to help me get into the game. The Golf for Dummies book was written by a VERY accomplished professional who is still winning on the champions tour. Both would be great to give you the generals of swing, grip, stance, setup, etc... After that, you can get more detailed with other books and videos.

Good luck, and tough draw on the arthritis. Keep your chin up... er... in golf, keep your chin out and your eyes on the ball. ;)

OP
S

Schris22

Hah thanks I actually wasn't expecting a crash course, but did check out those books you recommended at borders. i will give them be sure to pick one up soon.

Thanks

Chris

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
Key thing chris- is have fun!! learn what you need to do to have fun. In the dark agesI was taught to hit very strangely and had a lot of fun. It took some time for my uncle to straight that out and get me below 120....
That made golf much even more fun!! (ahh to be 14 and break 120 with balls of ballatta). Do what you enjoy my favorite quote is "I pay to play golf so I better have fun even if I am not doing well on the card!" Keep having fun- and if and when you are ready to upgrade equipment ask these guys what clubs to buy They helped me spend my "allowance" pretty darn quick!!

tommyt on vacation in dennis ma- hope to go to the pines tomorrow!!

OP
S

Schris22

I am definatly ready to upgrade but only my driver, since it's the one i'm always using. I am having fun already, but the fun comes out of watching the ball fly. I just don't have as much fun afterward with my messed up hands, but I'll be reading a book soon to help me learn how to grip correctly.

Still taking any advice on a driver in my price range for my goal or some ideas.

Thanks,

Chris

Fuzzifus

Jun 12, 2005
Since your doing this simply for the recreational value, why not find say a set of rain gloves to wear. If your hands are being abused so, this should stop it. . .

OP
S

Schris22

Well hopefully after reading the book it should alleviate the blisters and the such on my hands... Are you talking about the gloves made for all weather? i should be picking up either the Kiss or the dummies golf book soon. I also saw the tiger woods book which has a lot of full color pages for 12 bucks or so. I thought it would be a decent coffee table book but didn't think it would help me as much as the others.

Chris

🔥 Latest posts