• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Broken Shaft.....

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The NV in my precious Loco has left the building.

I was hitting the thing WAY short in Florida, 240ish according to the gps.

Upon futher forensic examination I have spied a series of small spider cracks eminating from the hosel in an upward fashion.

I put the heat gun on it to see if I could liberate the head cleanly but alas, it was not to be.......I degraded the tip even further and ended up just twisting it off.

I will be using the TM 580 XD for awhile.......I feel a bout of Clevelandum Launcheritis coming on........<sniff>

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Sounds like you have broken a few in your time...which shaft do you find to be the most likely to fail??

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
That makes 3 since last May.

2 stock Harrison Stripers and one Stiff NV.

I think it's just my incredibly powerful swing that withers all graphite shafts. ;)

I still like the NV enough to get a Luncher with one in it.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Slingblade61 said:

I think it's just my incredibly powerful swing that withers all graphite shafts. ;)

Sling - tell me about your 580XD with stock shaft. It's what I play and love it (although being the ho that I am, I am always looking to replace things and spend nights on the sofa) Why do you like the NV? Would you put an NV in the 580? How hard can you bring it? 100-105?

Thanks

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
hehehe.......I "bring it" max 105......avg. 96

Why do I like it?

Cause of all the hype, I'm supposed to! ;)

I feel like I get less torque which tames my power fade. But the real reason I bought it and stuck it in a dunlop driver is because I figured the more expensive shaft wouldn't break, I guess I figured wrong.

I like the TM 580xd and I may keep it in the bag but I had such great results with the dunlop it was hard to give up.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:

I think you're right about that...I've never broken a shaft.

What is your swing speed??

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You know, if you catch less turf on the drive, it puts less stress on the shaft... ;)

So what's the story, you think the clubhead is just putting too much stress on the shaft? The NV is a great shaft, i've never heard of anyone breaking one.

Ideas?

R35

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Average is 96ish with the top end around 105.

I NEVER hit off the heel, mishits are usually toe shots (which would add torque stress to the shaft I suppose) but I don't hit all that many of those.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I don't hit the turf with it either......never.

I am even tempered (but you knew that already) and do NOT smack my clubs around after a bad shot or anything like that. I have no idea why I break the shafts but toe shots have to be the leading suspect.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
You did say you noticed a crack... it is possible that you are breaking the same amount of shafts as everyone else, except we don't notice. I will do a meticulous scan tonight... maybe I'll find something and be able to get me a new shaft for the big boy. :D

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
If you don't find anything VT, send it to me and I'll make some for you. :D

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I used the Graf Blue for a season (even though I'm not a long driver). I've made my share of fat shot with it, but it's bloody unbreakable. I then did a sacrilegous thing: I cut it off as my dad wanted the nemesis SMT clubhead.. It's very very hard to saw off... And I end up having a Jedi Sword... :D

Maybe it's the quick epoxy leading to a clubhead glued unstably to the shaft? Maybe you should try 24 hour slow cure epoxy? Don't know... just throwing stones...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
I don't hit the turf with it either......never.

I am even tempered (but you knew that already) and do NOT smack my clubs around after a bad shot or anything like that. I have no idea why I break the shafts but toe shots have to be the leading suspect.

Sounds like a streak of bad luck. I am hard on everything I use and have a pretty steep swing so I am sure I have taken my share of turf on the fairway metals....and our ground here is hard because the subsurface is either rock or clay...

What is the warranty period on a shaft? Maybe the manufacturers should provide replacements for you. I am sure they would be able to tell that the shaft was not abused and broke from normal usage...

Is it a year??

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
You know......

It occured to me (too late apparently) that this could be a good argument for a hard travel case, huh? :eek:

🔥 Latest posts