• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Cook in Hawaii

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
a2.bp.blogspot.com__rg7eFr8897I_UP2WFjpckEI_AAAAAAAAFjA_x58zsF8D90I_s1600_JohnCook.jpg
John Cook​
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK, A BRITISH EXPLORER, made three voyages to the Pacific Ocean, including significant time in the Hawaiian Islands, where he and his crew were the first Europeans, according to historical accounts. After two successful visits to the islands, however, Captain Cook was killed in a dispute with villagers.

"He displayed a combination of seamanship, superior surveying and cartographic skills, physical courage and an ability to lead men in adverse conditions," says Wikipedia.

John Cook, no relation to Captain James Cook as far as I know, demonstrated perhaps one or two of those qualities this past weekend, outlasting David Frost in a sudden-death playoff to win the Mitsubishi Electric Championship in Kaupulehu-Kona, Hawaii. The 54-hole event was the season opener on the Champions Tour.

Cook sank a 16-foot birdie putt on the final hole of regulation to force the playoff. Then he dropped a 25-footer for birdie on the second playoff hole to earn his ninth Champions Tour title and a check for $309,000. Cook also won 11 times on the PGA Tour.

Frost had trouble capitalizing on the par 5s in the final round, while Cook birdied all four of them.

"He's won a lot of tournaments all over the world," Cook said about Frost, the 36-hole leader. "He hit some beautiful golf shots today and didn't get much out of what he was doing and I hadn't either. It was kind of a survival day until it got down to the nitty gritty and you knew what you had to do."

Cook's victory means a return visit next year to defend his title. He might not win again, but he'll certainly be welcome and surely get out alive.

Source: Another Cook in Hawaii

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.