• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Driver Question

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
So I thought I would post here as I'm looking for advice on what to try. My driver is now getting well up there in age and I'm thinking of getting a new one (Tit 905R). I've always liked it reasonably forgiving great distance on good swings. My biggest complaint has always been that I hit it much to high and generally get no roll. When my swing is a little off my distance is terrible.

I've tried a few of the mainstream offerings this year and for the most part my swing speed with them is way down (I have no idea why) I'm not sure if it's shaft length or head size, but I just don't feel good with them.

So I'm looking for some recommendations. I think I need a different shaft combo to lower my spin rate and launch angle. I'm not a fan of the super huge heads so a more realistic size would be attractive. I'm thinking I'll try the new RAZR Hawk Tour Driver with some other shaft as the high trajectory shaft isn't to my liking. Also I'm wondering if cutting down the length on today's drivers would help my swing speed.

Thoughts welcome.
Key Stats: 905R Swing Speed ~110avg, 115-118 when swinging well .. with the TM the other day struggled to swing 103-105 consistently and contact felt craptacular.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm not shocked on the TM comments about feel. Super overrated, IMO. The RAZR Hawk Tour is a friggin cannon.

What are your shaft specs for the 905? That might be a basis on where to head if you're looking for a more boring trajectory and lessening your spin.

R35

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I had trouble hitting the R11, too. No amount of adjustment made it right. I hit the RAZR Hawk great, but I hit Callaway's Diablo Octane even better. The RAZR had an Aldila in it, with the Octane having a Project X.

I think you have more clubhead speed than I do (not sure what mine was), but at 160 ball speed, 2900 spin, and 11* launch, I was getting ~260 carry and ~290 total with the Octane. Similar results with the RAZR, but I had more trouble controlling ball flight.

As an EDIT: My "crush factor" was 1.44, so it looks like my clubhead speed was about 111.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My swingspeed has nothing to do with your game. Your numbers are solid.

Crush is a bit low. If you work on putting the clubhead more solidly on the ball, your launch and carry numbers should improve.

All that said, go buy the Octane and don't look back. Those are epic numbers and you're likely in the 95 percentile for distance for the average golfer. You can't complain with that. Not one bit.

The NV is garbage. The PX is spectacular and likely lines up alot better with your swing. Looks like you found a winner. Well done.

R35

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Thanks R35, and I didn't mean to detract from the OP; I was giving my numbers so that he could compare his to something (he has a faster clubhead speed, for example). Based on my numbers, the Octane is 100% in my future, and hopefully my experience helps the OP make an informed decision.

Long story short: I recommend the Octane with a Project-X. :thumbs up:

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
My 905 has an Adilla NV on it. I'm definitely not going with that shaft again.

I don't have a great deal of experience with different shafts on drivers hence my original post as to some suggestions for clubs. I have a Titleist 909H hybrid with a Diamana shaft that feels pretty good although I have no idea how it would perform on a driver.

I can't remember my launch angle on the 905 anymore but I remember generating spin rates of over 4000 consistently which I think is part of my balloon launch

Oh.. I've also hit the newer 905 with the Voodoo shaft and liked that a little better, but still not right. I was thinking of maybe trying the RIP or VS Proto if I could find a way to demo one of those shafts. i can't say I know anything about the Diamana offerings or other brands either nor do I feel confident that there's a good fitter to talk to about it around here :(

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks R35, and I didn't mean to detract from the OP; I was giving my numbers so that he could compare his to something (he has a faster clubhead speed, for example). Based on my numbers, the Octane is 100% in my future, and hopefully my experience helps the OP make an informed decision.

Long story short: I recommend the Octane with a Project-X. :thumbs up:

TEA,

My reply wasn't intended to take anything away from what you spoke of, nor that of the OP. I just wanted to throw in my 2 bits about your numbers.

And you're damn right, Callaway has some rocket launchers this year.

My 905 has an Adilla NV on it. I'm definitely not going with that shaft again.

I don't have a great deal of experience with different shafts on drivers hence my original post as to some suggestions for clubs. I have a Titleist 909H hybrid with a Diamana shaft that feels pretty good although I have no idea how it would perform on a driver.

I can't remember my launch angle on the 905 anymore but I remember generating spin rates of over 4000 consistently which I think is part of my balloon launch

Oh.. I've also hit the newer 905 with the Voodoo shaft and liked that a little better, but still not right. I was thinking of maybe trying the RIP or VS Proto if I could find a way to demo one of those shafts. i can't say I know anything about the Diamana offerings or other brands either nor do I feel confident that there's a good fitter to talk to about it around here :(

Both the Voodoo and the NV are spin monsters. From the sounds of things, you should be focusing on something that will lessen your spin a bit (see: Project X, Motore, Matrix XCON 6).

Do you have access to a simulator? If you can spare a couple hourse, head over and swing some sticks. You'll be amazed at what can come of a session where you can narrow down your needs and see what truly does not work for your swing at the same time. Definitely worth the exercise.

Keep us posted on your findings.

R35

OP
M

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
I have a golfsmith & golfgalaxy & dicks that I could probably head to, not sure what they can get me in alternative shafts though as most seem to just have the stock shafts w/ the major line of clubs.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
TEA,
My reply wasn't intended to take anything away from what you spoke of, nor that of the OP. I just wanted to throw in my 2 bits about your numbers.
Yeah, it's all good man. :thumbs up:

I have a golfsmith & golfgalaxy & dicks that I could probably head to, not sure what they can get me in alternative shafts though as most seem to just have the stock shafts w/ the major line of clubs.
I know the Nike VR Pros come stock with a Project X shaft, which I also hit really well. See what those stores have and research it. Ultimately, you're most likely best off getting a shaft that has a high kick-point. At those swing speeds, higher kick = less spin.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The TM and Titleist clubs all come interchangeable. That would be a good place to start with. Take your old driver to establish base numbers to go by. And take a pad and a pen to write some things down.

Particulars:

Spin rates
Launch angle
Deviation from centre avg.
ball speed
swing speed

Also take note of the ballflight in the diagram that's provided. If you're ballooning, try something a bit less spin. If you're hitting worm burners, up the spin a touch. Most of the fitting carts should come with a catalogue of shaft characteristics, so you can weed out alot right off the top.

And also don't be afraid to try similar shafts with different flexes. Not all us are internet 300+ guys, as much as we don't want to admit it. :)

R35

🔥 Latest posts