• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another newb question - teeing off w/o driver

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
I've always used either my driver or woods off the tee because it was the only way i could get the distance. But I see a lot of folks tlking about teeing off with an iron or hybrid on this board. As I've gotten better hitting my hybrids and long irons I figure I can use these clubs for some of the shorter holes and even gain control since I hit my irons straighter.

When you use either a hyrbid or iron off the tee box, do you actually use a tee? It seems like the irons and hybrids are MADE to be hit off the ground and teeing up would throw it all off? I've had to work on getting down on the ball with my irons/hybrids to get under them and using a tee seems like it'd screw me up?

So, irons and hybrids on the tee or on the ground?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I always tee woods, hybrid, and irons with a broken tee. I will tee it about 1/4 inch off the ground. If I'm playing badly, I'll tee it higher and not bother with hitting the ground. Its OK to contact fairways and hybrids above center, they will high launch and low spin just like a driver.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
When given the option, ideally, you should always use a tee.

However, with woods, irons, and hybrids, tee it low, enough to where you reduce or eliminate the friction with ground but not too high, as the sweet spot on the above stated clubs is near the bottom of the clubface.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
definately use a tee.... on a golf channel special with arnie, the camera/interview guy teed off on a par 3 without a tee(using an iron), and arnie was amazed that he didnt use one..

he said that whenever you get a chance to make your lie better, you should, and using a tee is making your lie better...

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
and as stated, use a broken tee.. you dont want to waste your long ones, so just hunt around for a broken one(assuming you arent using a driver)

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Never, ever pass on the opportunity to give yourself a perfect lie. Some guys will do so... that's all ego and testosterone talking. I saw that piece with Arnie, and he asked the guy when was the last time he saw a pro NOT use a tee. Answer..... never. I've heard the same quote from Trevino and Nicklaus. And Harvey Penick says the same thing in one of his books.

Even if I only tee it 1/8", I still set it so that the bottom of the ball is level with the top of the grass on the tee box.

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
and as stated, use a broken tee.. you dont want to waste your long ones, so just hunt around for a broken one(assuming you arent using a driver)

The only time I ever hit a tee shot without a tee is when I am trying to keep my shot low (into the wind). Other than that, I always use a tee, and a like using broken ones best (I feel like it offers less resistance).

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
The only time I ever hit a tee shot without a tee is when I am trying to keep my shot low (into the wind). Other than that, I always use a tee, and a like using broken ones best (I feel like it offers less resistance).

Less resistance to what? By the time the club hits the tee, the ball should be long gone, even with a wedge. The tee used should have no impact on the shot.... IMHO.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The main benefit of teeing off with a hybrid is control. You hit more fairways and have a better chance of scoring. The downside is that your approach shots on par fours are longer, so you have less chance of getting on in regulation. So - why not turn par four holes into par fives? On all but the shortest par fours, try hitting 185 yards off the tee, then whatever iron will get you to your best wedge distance, be it 60 yards, 100 yards - whatever. Get on in three and putt for par. Your strategy on par three and par five holes doesn't change (assuming you are smart enough to play par fives to get on in three shots). Try it and see how your scores improve.

Trust me, it's hard to do, since we are programmed to feel that getting on in regulation is the best way to score - and it is - but for amateurs like you and I, the best strategy is to improve our percentages and minimize our really bad shots.

As for using a tee? Whenever you get the chance. Like the others said - find a broken tee (recycle) and tee it just above the grass.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
definately use a tee.... on a golf channel special with arnie, the camera/interview guy teed off on a par 3 without a tee(using an iron), and arnie was amazed that he didnt use one..

he said that whenever you get a chance to make your lie better, you should, and using a tee is making your lie better...

If its the same show I saw, that was his grandson Sam Saunders (an aspiring pro.)

Use a tee. Its the only time you get to adjust the lie to where you want it. Sometimes on Par 3's I will tee the ball up a little bit higher and take one more club and really hit a high ball. The ball essentially stops within a foot or two of contact with the green. Its a great shot for sloping par 3 greens or if there is trouble all around the green.

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
You mentioned that many on this forum use irons and hybrids off the tee instead of driver. They're doing that not because they aren't as good with their woods, but to drive their ball to a distance from the green they know they can put near the pin (100 yards or so) using a full swing. A driver will often leave you with a distance of less than a full wedge in, where many find it more difficult to control their distance.

But a newb, I'd take eracer's advice and master your irons and hybrids first if you're struggling a little with your woods and work more on getting an approach setup from 100 or so yards out instead of worrying about hitting greens in regulation. My son has only played golf 5 times and I've taken his woods and 3i-4i out of his bag when he's played. With only 5i to SW, his scores have all been between 93 and 101. When and if he gets the time or desire to play more, he'll already have confidence with his irons and can then spend a little time working on his short game, then work up to a 3w and driver.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
If its the same show I saw, that was his grandson Sam Saunders (an aspiring pro.)

Use a tee. Its the only time you get to adjust the lie to where you want it. Sometimes on Par 3's I will tee the ball up a little bit higher and take one more club and really hit a high ball. The ball essentially stops within a foot or two of contact with the green. Its a great shot for sloping par 3 greens or if there is trouble all around the green.

No, it was the Golf Channel Academy producer who was getting the lecture from Arnie about using a tee. Arnie's grandson was acting as co-instructor for the episode.

OP
S

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
That's mostly what my question was for, either to get it up to a certain point on a dogleg or for a real short hole. Seemed like using my irons or a hybrid would help in some instances over the woods. To be honest I never really considered teeing it up that low to the ground... just never entered my head! lol. Makes sense though and I'll try it.

My first rnd this year is gonna be on a course with a really short par 3 1st, so I'll give it a shot.:hunter:

Thanks for the advice!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
No, it was the Golf Channel Academy producer who was getting the lecture from Arnie about using a tee. Arnie's grandson was acting as co-instructor for the episode.

Yup, thats not it. I was watching "Playing Lessons with the Pro's" with Arnie and Sam and he used the same line on Sam on a tee box for a par 3.

He must use that line a lot. :D

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Less resistance to what? By the time the club hits the tee, the ball should be long gone, even with a wedge. The tee used should have no impact on the shot.... IMHO.

I didn't say that it DOES offer less resistance, just that in my mind a broken tee will offer less resistance than a regular tee which is stuck 1 1/2 inches into the ground. It's purely mental, with little to no bearing in reality. I know that at the speed withw which I swing my clubs, there is no real resistance from the tee, but it's a comfort thing.

🔥 Latest posts