• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another one bites the dust

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Just got this in an email. One of my favorite local courses. :(

It is with some sadness that we share the following:
Cameron Hills Golf Club will be closing its doors permanently Sunday August 14th, 2016.
Cameron Hills was the dream of one man, Bill Jones. His vision for a golf course that accepts everyone became a reality at Cameron. But after he died, the owners’ passion to continue in the golf industry waned. And the industry faces new challenges today that it didn’t yesterday, with even tougher times coming in the future.
It is for these reasons we have decided to close Cameron Hills Golf Club.
Cameron has thrived and survived for the past two and a half decades thanks to the hard work of the people who work here. Rob Ferlazzo is the most skilled and professional certified golf course superintendent we have ever met. His dedication and that of his crew has been the backbone of our shared success. Nothing but positive praise can be directed at him and it is difficult to find the words that correctly express our gratitude and amazement with the golf course he has created.
To further the analogy, if Rob has been the backbone of Cameron, then Patty Fletcher has been the heart. We receive more compliments about Patty than any other staff member in 20+ years. Her friendly aura is known by all of our golfers, but her dedication and hard work is what make her so special to us.
The many organizations that we have partnered with to raise needed funds for local charities have been a blessing. They have allowed us to give back, in a small way, to the community who supports us. Each of these groups have been run by amazing volunteers who spend time away from their families to support a cause greater than themselves. To them, we say thank you.
To our members, golfers, and friends. We hope Cameron has allowed you to make a memory or two. We hope Cameron has been a place you have laughed (and maybe cursed). We hope Cameron will be something you look back on fondly and remember as a staple of our close community.
Several non-golf related opportunities are being considered for the current property. Each is a different than the next and we are fielding every offer as they arrive.
So, thank you to everyone for your support and for making Cameron Hills a place that many called their home course. Any comments you would like to share with the staff can be posted below. If you have ever liked Cameron, "like" this post to help spread the word.
If you want to play Cameron one last time, please join us this weekend.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please email [email protected].
Donna & Jason Hill

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
That absolutely fvcking sucks. That is one of my favorite courses of all time.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Not much of a notice.

I thought it got a decent amount of play. I was wrong.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Not much of a notice.

I thought it got a decent amount of play. I was wrong.
The Naval Surface Warfare Center men's league played there on Monday's from April thru Sep. Other than that, whenever I went there, it was never busy. Doesn't help being located in the middle of bumfuck Egypt, but Pendleton and Mattaponi seem to thrive in the boonies.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Whenever I was there I always saw other golfers. Not Mobbed, but you could tell people were there.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Whenever I was there I always saw other golfers. Not Mobbed, but you could tell people were there.
That sounds about what I would see. Never had a problem getting a tee time, tho. I guess the volume couldn't cover the cost. The only upside is this could push more business to Cannon Ridge - we need it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The Naval Surface Warfare Center men's league played there on Monday's from April thru Sep. Other than that, whenever I went there, it was never busy. Doesn't help being located in the middle of bumfuck Egypt, but Pendleton and Mattaponi seem to thrive in the boonies.

Didn't you express concerns about its potential demise a couple of days ago?

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Gawd, I hope the other one doesn't go under as well. I'll start calling you the black widow. :(
My home course just reopened under new mgmnt and my wife and I joined. We have our fingers crossed that they make it profitable, but it is going to take some time to get the volume up.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.