• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Rules Question

Lorax

Jun 23, 2006
On a Par 3 last weekend, I landed my tee shot on the green and my partner hit his shot fat and landed about 40 yards up in the fairway. Before I got to the green to mark my ball, he hit his second shoot and skulled it. It shot across the grass and hit my ball sending it across the green.

I asked the guys we were playing with what the ruling was but we were all unsure. I played my ball from where it stopped figuring that I didn't mark it so I couldn't move it back.

What is the correct ruling?

Barry

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Replace your ball where it originally was and he plays it as it lies.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You may replace the ball without penalty when it is struck by another ball, but only while it is on the putting surface. That's why it's important to carefully note the position of your ball if you see that another ball might strike it. You must replace the ball as near as possible to its original position. If you accidently place the ball in a more advantageous position on the green you could be penalized under Decision 20-7c/1.

In stroke play, a competitor in replacing his ball on the putting green inadvertently put the ball in a wrong place nearby and holed out. The error was then discovered and the competitor put his ball in the right place and holed out. What is the ruling?

A. The score with the ball played from the wrong place counts and the competitor must add two penalty strokes to that score (Rule 16-1b or 20-3a and Rule 20-7c).
The competitor incurs no penalty for having putted from the right place after holing out from a wrong place.

OP
L

Lorax

Jun 23, 2006
Thanks. I'm going to pick u a copy of the ruoes this weekend.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
You may replace the ball without penalty when it is struck by another ball, but only while it is on the putting surface.

Anytime the ball is at rest anywhere on the course and in-bounds (through the green) and is moved by another ball, it must be replaced without penalty. Not just on the putting green.

Just FYI.

🔥 Latest posts