• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

another shaft question (weight? of iron shafts)

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not exactly sure if this question belongs in the equipment thread, but the shaft might have something to do with it so I figured I'd ask....

Lately (coming up on a year now) on mishits, my shots with my driver and 4 wood have draw or slight hook spin (driver has a neutral face) but my irons are fading with the occasional slice on the really bad shots.

I haven't seen a pro since I was a kid (9 or so) and I'm 28 now - I know I should, but from an equipment standpoint, could the rifle shafts I have in my irons just be too heavy for my hands or something? I really think I'm swinging them the same - but ball flight tells me otherwise. The weight thing seems ridiculous to me (driver swing speed around 100)

probably an indian not the arrow issue, but since I've become completely obsessed with my equipment lately, figured I'd ask...

I always thought if I had swing issues I'd struggle with the longer clubs first - and instead, it's the mid-irons acting up on me

Thanks

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
your irons could be

1 - too stiff
2 - too flat of a lie angle
3 - too heavy though it is the least likely of the possible causes.

What are your rifles? 5.5?

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
you're right, the irons I'm currently playing are too stiff for me (6.0s)

I think the lie angle is right though (based on some shots on a piece of plywood in the garage with wiffle golf balls and some masking tape...very scientific...)

at least I can partially blame the equipment :)

I've been playing MacGregor 1025cm with these 6.0s - but also have a few of the macgregor m565's (3-6i) with 5.5 shafts - very different club - I've been fading these too, but I think the oversize grips on them are a factor

maybe I need to try 5.0s or something

I think I remember reading that TT S300's were somewhere around a rifle 5.8. is this true? where on the Rifle scale would you put regular flex TT shafts?

and as always... thanks for you comments

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Rifle 6.0

Rifle 6.0 should be ok if you used TT S300. Maybe get a coach one day and check your swing plane. However if you are using Project X then 5.5 would be equivalent to TT S300. Hope this helps.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
S300 = 5.7 rifle same for the project X. The X only feel stiffer because of the stiff butt section. They dont actually play stiffer.

I would recommend a soft stepped S300 or a hard stepped R300 or rifles soft stepped to about 5.3

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
I am using now playing with a set of 1998 Taylor Made Burner Tour irons with the stock TM/FM S-90 Rifle shaft. What are the specs in Rifle and True Temper terms? Thanks in advance.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.