• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any advice on why I can't hit my new driver?

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I just bought a new Adams RPM Redline Dual and took it out to the driving range today. I hit it much straighter than my Ram Rhythm driver, but I was only hitting it 150-200 yards. My Ram driver is a 10.5 degree loft and I seem to hit it a little higher than I need, so I bought the Adams in a 9.5 with a Grafalloy ProLaunch regular. Does anyone have any suggestions on what's wrong, or do I just need to hit it more?
Thanks,
Joey

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
What is your swing speed? The ProLaunch regular plays like most other stiff-flex shafts.

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I haven't ever had it checked, but I swing pretty hard. I'm going to try and do that this weekend. That could be the problem, though.

What is your swing speed? The ProLaunch regular plays like most other stiff-flex shafts.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Have you hit the other driver farther at THAT range? Some ranges (like mine) use "restricted flight" balls and they won't go nearly as far as normal balls. If this driver is shorter then your old one at THIS range, it might just be early season and your swing is not right yet. Eracer is right about the ProLaunch. I had a regular flex ProLaunch and it is the same flex on the clubmakers "gauge?" that my NVS stiff is (stiff range on gauge). :)

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
What is your ballflight like? I have a Adams dual 10.5 and it hits about the same height as my other drivers all of which are 9 or 9.5. IMO the Dual launches lower than average. Its a real nice head once you get it dialed in though.

it could be the range balls too. The range near my house is only 225 yds long and I have yet to see anyone hit a ball over the back fence.

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I haven't hit at this range in a good while, and now that you all mention it the balls were a different type from what they did have. I should have hit my old driver for comparison. For the most part, the trajectory was rather low; but seemed to me to be a good flight.
Joey

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
One other thing...they failed to send me the optional weights & wrench, so I'm stuck with the two 7 grams that's in it for the moment. (I called CS and they are sending them to me.) Maybe that setup just isn't good for me?
Joey

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I just started playing the identical driver/shaft and have found it almost as long and straighter than my G5 10.5 with TFC R flex shaft. I've even managed to fade the Adams, which I've never done with the Ping on purpose.

Compare them both at the same range.

The 2 7 gram weight set up is a neutral set up. If you change it, you'll be making the club either a draw or fade biased club. If you're happy with the direction you're hitting it, don't change the weights.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
How far did you hit your other driver, or other drivers? Is it a stiff or regular flex? Without a swing speed and more info it is hard to tell.

If you only hit your other driver maybe 20-25 yards further, it may likely be the matter of the loft and shaft change. I also can't help but think if you didn't check out the flex which wasn't mentioned, a standard 9.5* driver in the store may likely have a stiff flex. It should be on the shaft as an S or R.

If you couple a 9.5* and a stiff shaft with the Swing Speed that would comparably get maybe 225 yards off the tee or roughly a 90mph, you may have gone the wrong direction and likely lose a boatload of distance and even likely have trouble hitting the ball well. On the other hand, if you hit the ball over 250 yards off the tee (which would equate to maybe 100mph), although it may still be to little loft and you may still lose a little distance, you may not notice it as much.

edit 1 - Also realize the higher launch on the old driver may have just as likely been the result of a poor shaft or even a swing flaw, swing or tempo issue that did not match the type of shaft and not just the loft of the driver.

Sorry, I see you did mention the flex as regular, just missed that. That in mind, if you normally hit the ball much further than about 250 or have a quicker tempo, the regular flex could be a part of the problem as well

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I hit my other driver around 225, & it's a Ram Rhythm 10.5* R Graphite. The Adams driver is a regular, I double-checked last night (I ordered it off of Austad's). So should I continue to try to hit it or send it back & get either a 10.5* or a different shaft? I believe I have 30 days to exchange it less a 20% restocking fee.
Thanks,
Joey

How far did you hit your other driver, or other drivers? Is it a stiff or regular flex? Without a swing speed and more info it is hard to tell.

If you only hit your other driver maybe 20-25 yards further, it may likely be the matter of the loft and shaft change. I also can't help but think if you didn't check out the flex, a standard 9.5* driver in the store may likely have a stiff flex. It should be on the shaft as an S or R.

If you couple a 9.5* and a stiff shaft with the Swing Speed that would comparably get maybe 225 yards off the tee or roughly a 90mph, you may have gone the wrong direction and likely lose a boatload of distance and even likely have trouble hitting the ball well. On the other hand, if you hit the ball over 250 yards off the tee (which would equate to maybe 100mph), although it may still be to little loft and you may still lose a little distance, you may not notice it as much.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I hit my other driver around 225, & it's a Ram Rhythm 10.5* R Graphite. The Adams driver is a regular, I double-checked last night (I ordered it off of Austad's). So should I continue to try to hit it or send it back & get either a 10.5* or a different shaft? I believe I have 30 days to exchange it less a 20% restocking fee.
Thanks,
Joey
I can't help but think the high launch you got on the ram may have been a problem with the shaft or characteristics of your swing and setup. Seems like a regular flex for 225 yard is probably about right unless you have a very quick tempo. FYI, with a proper driver you will likely get 2.5 yards per MPH give or take, but that is not the only factor, so it could be a little different. Again, if you have certain swing characteristics it can lead to a higher launch as well.

If you do in fact have a speed of around 90mph, then I would only imagine you would likely get more yardage out of something in the 11* or even higher, but again this may depend on other factors as well. More reason you may want to get on a launch monitor to get optimum results or get fitted for the driver by a qualified club fitter. If nothing else, demo the drivers on a range to get what you feel is a comfortable trajectory. I can't help but think the 9.5 may be a part of the issue, maybe coupled with trying to get used to the feel of the new driver, but without alot more information that you would likely only be able to get off a launch monitor or even from seeing the characteristics of your swing and ball flight it is hard to tell for sure.

edit 1 - BTW, a low trajectory may be good if you have a pretty powerful swing, and look better, but for the average joes like us you are likely going to get the majority of your distance on carry and not roll. So for most that will mean getting the ball in the air. You will also usually get much more control with the higher loft if you put any kind of side spin on the ball.

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I appreciate all the advice. Based on what the info you have; if I exchanged my driver for a 10.5*, should I stick with the Pro Launch R or switch to the NVS R? They have both in stock at the moment. Sorry for all the questions but I've always just bought the most affordable club(s) I could find and really lack knowledge in this area.
Thanks,
Joey

I can't help but think the high launch you got on the ram may have been a problem with the shaft or characteristics of your swing and setup. Seems like a regular flex for 225 yard is probably about right unless you have a very quick tempo. FYI, with a proper driver you will likely get 2.5 yards per MPH give or take, but that is not the only factor, so it could be a little different. Again, if you have certain swing characteristics it can lead to a higher launch as well.

If you do in fact have a speed of around 90mph, then I would only imagine you would likely get more yardage out of something in the 11* or even higher, but again this may depend on other factors as well. More reason you may want to get on a launch monitor to get optimum results or get fitted for the driver by a qualified club fitter. If nothing else, demo the drivers on a range to get what you feel is a comfortable trajectory. I can't help but think the 9.5 may be a part of the issue, maybe coupled with trying to get used to the feel of the new driver, but without alot more information that you would likely only be able to get off a launch monitor or even from seeing the characteristics of your swing and ball flight it is hard to tell for sure.

edit 1 - BTW, a low trajectory may be good if you have a pretty powerful swing, and look better, but for the average joes like us you are likely going to get the majority of your distance on carry and not roll. So for most that will mean getting the ball in the air. You will also usually get much more control with the higher loft if you put any kind of side spin on the ball.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I appreciate all the advice. Based on what the info you have; if I exchanged my driver for a 10.5*, should I stick with the Pro Launch R or switch to the NVS R? They have both in stock at the moment. Sorry for all the questions but I've always just bought the most affordable club(s) I could find and really lack knowledge in this area.
Thanks,
Joey
As far as the proper shaft, someone else on here may have more experience to answer on comparing those two. Although it may help to know a little more about your tempo as well. Do you generally have a pretty smooth swing, or do you tend to have a pretty quick swing with a quick transition between back swing and forward?

OP
J

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I have a slow 3/4 backswing, rather smooth.
Joey
As far as the proper shaft, someone else on here may have more experience to answer on comparing those two. Although it may help to know a little more about your tempo as well. Do you generally have a pretty smooth swing, or do you tend to have a pretty quick swing with a quick transition between back swing and forward?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.