• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any thoughts/ideas for a possible venture I intend to do for a Pocono Golf site

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I ran this by Sling for posting this on here, and he had no problem.

This is a small venture that I plan to partake in over the course of the next year. I have made a living as a programmer for the better part of 10 years, and have been an avid photographer for my entire life. I do not feel the Poconos has an adequate site relating to golf in the area. Over the course of the next year I plan on photographing all of the courses that I play and providing not only course and fee information, scorecards, available facilities, directions but photographs of all holes on the course as well. I further plan on setting up a review section for people to post comments on the listed courses. I am not sure where this will head, or if in the end it will even be launched, but it seemed like something I would enjoy. Again, it is probably a year away prior to even opening up the site. My reason for posting is to get an idea of what people may think would be beneficial to have on such a site in relation to the courses, any known ramifications behind posting information about the courses and whether they would need to sign off in any way. My intention is not to start a forum, other than the possibility of reviewing the Pocono Courses, although next year if it does pan out, I would probably instead talk with Sling about his thoughts on linking Shottalk in the site, if he so desired. If it pans out, in the end I may try to work with the courses on trying to generate revenue through this venture. The idea of soliciting business on designing course websites may be in the future as well.

Again, this will only be for the Pocono area, although I am sure there are many ideas out there that others would like to see in relation to their local courses that I could use in planning such a site. Any ideas you guys may have to include would be appreciated

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I was in the poconos a few years back but not for golf. It's beautiful there.

You might also be able to link with travel sites for people like me that weren't even thinking about golf. This would also be an incentive for the golf courses since they would be getting a little extra exposure.

Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Thanks Dave,
Additional attractions are definately something for which I have thought about in detail. A large part of the Pocono Courses are tied in in some way to Resorts or Housing developments, which may end up being a target. The resorts have year round activities outside of golf. Initially I plan on concentrating on courses for the simple reason that I do not want to show favoritism until I have a full scope of the where it may generate revenue for future development. My hopes are to eventually maybe tie into the resorts, and possibly the Pocono Visitors Bureau. My initial planning is exactly what you mention. Getting extra exposure for the courses, in the sense that it will not initially cost them a dime for advertisement of their course. From there I see many options on capitalizing. What is amazing to me is that many of the courses seem to spend very little on showing what they have to offer in golf. A large portion do not even have websites, I visited one today and all the pictures were blurred as though they were taken with a $100 camera. For this reason, initially I want to show simply courses, as the smaller courses without resort backing may in turn be who has the most to gain.

Again thank you!!!

The funny part about this was my initial thought was that I may be able to get a lot of free golf for my wife and I, it kind of snowballed from there. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online