• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

any tips for hitting long irons?

lameshooter

Eagle is my middle name.
Apr 13, 2005
I can't seem to hit my 3, 4, or (5-(sometimes) very well, i always take huge divots or top the ball horribly, anyone have tips on how to hit these? thanks.

PowerXSwing

May 17, 2005
Try hitting off a matt. Once you get the hang of "sweeping" the ball off that, then go to real grass.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sometimes, I get into funks with my long irons where I hit them thin and fade them. This seems to work for me, but any advice will revolve around practice.

Hit the range with your long irons in hand. Start hitting your 5 iron off a tee to get the feel of a good swing. Just 3/4 swings. You'll find that groove and be hitting with confidence. Don't be so focused on distance at this point, just on contact. Keep that 3/4 swing through your 3 and 4 irons.

Moving to the grass, grab your 5 iron and start with a controlled half swing. This way, you won't start chunking or thining your irons right away, which would create a loss of confidence that you've just built hitting off the tee. Start hitting that 5 iron about 100 yards. Pick out a target and try to get your 5 iron to land exactly 100 yards, which for most people is a half to 3/4 swing. As you gain control, you'll also engrain a swing path that you can slowly build up to full speed swings. Do the same thing from step one with each of your 3 and 4 irons.

The key with long irons is to sweep the grass under the ball just enough to cut it. You need huge strength to take big divots with the long irons, like the guys on Tour. If you cut the grass off where the blade meets the root, you'll always set the clubface to hit the ball right on the screws.

Obviously, this takes practice. But, if you take it slow, building confidence while doing so, you'll see results much faster that just banging away at full knock.

Give it a go. Let me know how it works.

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005
its the old mind games again! i can hit my 4 iron perfectly everytime, but my 3 iron, no way!! :(

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
Woosey said:
its the old mind games again! i can hit my 4 iron perfectly everytime, but my 3 iron, no way!! :(
Same with me. 4 irons just always seem easy to hit to me. 3 irons have never been easy with any set. Then, there is the 2 iron! I don't have one of those instruments of torture for obvious reasons.

:shark:

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
I personally never really had too much trouble with the longer irons, it's just more of a sweeping motion than my short irons.

The only advice I can give is perhaps switching out to a 7 and 9 wood or hybrids.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Slightly more upright stance and swing with an even tempo

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Long irons are all about consistent tempo and a smooth swing,don't try and force them

Dorkman53

May 17, 2005
My instructor told me that for mid irons or longer, sweeping them is the way to go, like a fairway wood. If that doesn't work, or you are still not happy with the results, hybrids are a great solution.

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Make sure to play the ball in the front of your stance like you would with your fairway wood.

I personally say screw long irons...get a hybrid.

Robert

Jun 3, 2005
What helped me was a slower take away. I really hit the long irons consistantly now. Oh and there is practice!

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Long irons, schmong irons. Use hybrids instead. Confidence breeds confidence. I have found that since I developed proficiency in using hybrid clubs, I've (a) learned to pretty consistently hit even the lowest-lofted hybrids from fairway lies (and higher-lofted ones from terrible lies in the rough), and (b) have actually become confident enough in my swing to hit traditional long irons better than ever when I want to be macho and try them again. IF you have a smooth, repeating swing with good mechanics, then confidence is the greatest obstacle to success with long irons. Or you can pick up a medium-lofted hybrid like a Nickent or a Hogan, have it become your best friend, and let the confidence flow through the rest of your game. Embrace the dark side!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
You don't need to kill yourself.just learn to swing with the right tempo for you.The main reason high handicappers struggle is they try and force a long iron and loose their tempo.Whatever your tempo is maintain it for the long irons and you can dump the horrid hybrids in the nearest lake.having said that I've dumped my 3 iron in favour or a 20* Heavenwood (gets used once per round on ave)

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
I have some trouble with them mostly topping. I always rember to try and get under the ball. I did have the "pleasure" of hitting a 2 and a 1 iron. Well let me tell you it sucked. It felt like I was hitting a rock and went the same as a 3 iron. They were very hard to get in the air. What I recomend is go in and demo a hybrid and/or fairway wood. I use my 2,3,5 on the fairway and find it much easyer than the long irons. I hit barther, more consistant, nd more accurate shots. It also feels worlds better. I know a guy that has 4 irons in his bag those are: P, S , 52, 60 degree wedges. The rest 1-9 are woods.

🔥 Latest posts