• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any winter projects??

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've a question...what is backing rod?

The Mizzys I recently acquired, have what feels like a thin line (like a fine rod) underneath the grip. I thought I was imagining it, but it is consistent throughout the set. I have to say it feels a little uncomfortable. I have it on my "list of projects" to regrip these, but was planning to whip off a grip to see what the heck it is. So this is a thin strip of plastic or metal purposely placed there?

In all my time playing I have never come across this in a set. What are the benefits? To dampen vibration? For feeling?
Its exactly what the Golf Pride Align grips are now. With older clubs, there used to be a piece of wood like a skewer that was up under the grip for alignment in the hands. some like it some dont. I like the align grips, never liked the inserts.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
CAUTION! The backer rod was suggested on a clubmakers forum. I'm anxious to get the clubs to the course and feel the results. HOWEVER... last night I put one of the irons on my swingweight scale. The swingweight went up considerably on the irons after the backer rod was added. Static weight barely moved. Most of us can't feel one or two swingweight changes. I'm sure not good enough to know the difference between, say, D2 and D4. Yet, I use lead tape to make sure all my irons are exactly the same swingweight. Mentally OCD. Will advise once I have these on the course next week.
you mean most wont notice one or two points in swing weight, not that you wouldn't notice A swing wheight. you will def notice D2 to C2 or E2, but two-three points, Nah your good.

🔥 Latest posts