• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any winter projects??

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I'd be afraid to use one of these.

maxresdefault.jpg
That's beautiful work, but not my style of putter head.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1612986638.710072.jpg
ALL CLEAN!! [emoji3] Both sets too, gamers and the Eye2’s!! With that outta the way, on to planning, purchasing and installing!!! Just in time for a cold spell too, timing couldn’t have been better

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Got new grips for the Eye 2's. Picked up a roll of 5/8" backer rod at Home Depot. Had pulled all the old grips of a couple days ago and cleaned off the old tape. Took a while but finally figured out how to get the backer rod down the shafts. Inserting 6" lengths with upper end of the backer rod about 6" down from the shaft end. Been busy and just started earlier this evening. Got three irons done. Satisfied it would work, will have plenty of time to finish since we're in a deep freeze for the next couple weeks.

Used a spray on cleaning solution and found the paint fill on the irons is in extremely good shape. Once the grime was cleaned off, the white paint fill stands out very bright. Now, I probably won't mess with redoing it. Anxious to see if the backer rod down the shafts makes a difference I can actually feel.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Ummm... Hope you noticed someone sold you a bunch of bassakwards clubs!! :D

Was actually one of my first projects ever, locking them in the bench vice and bending them like that!! [emoji39]

Got new grips for the Eye 2's. Picked up a roll of 5/8" backer rod at Home Depot. Had pulled all the old grips of a couple days ago and cleaned off the old tape. Took a while but finally figured out how to get the backer rod down the shafts. Inserting 6" lengths with upper end of the backer rod about 6" down from the shaft end. Been busy and just started earlier this evening. Got three irons done. Satisfied it would work, will have plenty of time to finish since we're in a deep freeze for the next couple weeks.

Used a spray on cleaning solution and found the paint fill on the irons is in extremely good shape. Once the grime was cleaned off, the white paint fill stands out very bright. Now, I probably won't mess with redoing it. Anxious to see if the backer rod down the shafts makes a difference I can actually feel.

What kind of grips, if you don’t mind me asking?? I’m still undecided as to what mine will get. I will for sure need to touch up the white paint fill as well. Some is completely gone.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Was actually one of my first projects ever, locking them in the bench vice and bending them like that!! [emoji39]

What kind of grips, if you don’t mind me asking?? I’m still undecided as to what mine will get. I will for sure need to touch up the white paint fill as well. Some is completely gone.
I'm a long time fan of Lamkin Crosslines. Have used them for years. I deviated on my iBlades when I got a deal on some Golf Pride CP2 Wraps. Like them, except they seem to get slippery in the least bit of moisture. The Crosslines are less expensive that most and, for me, hold up. I read where many folks regrip each year. I have Crosslines on clubs that were installed five or six years ago and are still in excellent shape. (Of course, I don't play very much!!) :>) If you ask 20 people their grip preference, you will get 20 different recommendations.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Finished up my vibration dampner installation and regripping project. No golf for the rest of February... probably... due to weather. With the grips removed, if you lightly tap the shaft against something metal, you get this beautiful "ting" tone. Once the dampners were installed, it's a "thud". So, the backing rod has certainly eliminated the harmonic vibration. Does that mean the physical/mechanical vibration will also disappear? Hmmmm....

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've a question...what is backing rod?

The Mizzys I recently acquired, have what feels like a thin line (like a fine rod) underneath the grip. I thought I was imagining it, but it is consistent throughout the set. I have to say it feels a little uncomfortable. I have it on my "list of projects" to regrip these, but was planning to whip off a grip to see what the heck it is. So this is a thin strip of plastic or metal purposely placed there?

In all my time playing I have never come across this in a set. What are the benefits? To dampen vibration? For feeling?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've a question...what is backing rod?

The Mizzys I recently acquired, have what feels like a thin line (like a fine rod) underneath the grip. I thought I was imagining it, but it is consistent throughout the set. I have to say it feels a little uncomfortable. I have it on my "list of projects" to regrip these, but was planning to whip off a grip to see what the heck it is. So this is a thin strip of plastic or metal purposely placed there?

In all my time playing I have never come across this in a set. What are the benefits? To dampen vibration? For feeling?
Backer rods are used to fill cracks, etc. before adding sealant. It's a building industry thing. Some people use it instead of vibration dampening rods.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Below is what I used. Got it from Home Depot. Closed cell caulking backer rod. 5/8" is what I used.

Are you sure the "line" isn't just the grip rib? Many grips were manufactured with "ribs" that were to lay on the bottom side. The purpose was for you to "feel" the club was in the proper position. I hated them! To regrip, it was impossible to get each situated perfectly the same through the set.

1601.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Below is what I used. Got it from Home Depot. Closed cell caulking backer rod. 5/8" is what I used.

Are you sure the "line" isn't just the grip rib? Many grips were manufactured with "ribs" that were to lay on the bottom side. The purpose was for you to "feel" the club was in the proper position. I hated them! To regrip, it was impossible to get each situated perfectly the same through the set.

View attachment 32265
CAUTION! The backer rod was suggested on a clubmakers forum. I'm anxious to get the clubs to the course and feel the results. HOWEVER... last night I put one of the irons on my swingweight scale. The swingweight went up considerably on the irons after the backer rod was added. Static weight barely moved. Most of us can't feel one or two swingweight changes. I'm sure not good enough to know the difference between, say, D2 and D4. Yet, I use lead tape to make sure all my irons are exactly the same swingweight. Mentally OCD. Will advise once I have these on the course next week.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Played the Eye 2's, today, with backer rod inserted in the shafts. Checked swingweight on all of them last night. Dead on D2 up to the wedges which went D3/D4. Normal Eye 2 swingweight can be C9 to D0. Don't mind the D2 range at all.
Think I noticed a better feel. Difficult to tell in one round... and a round where I played like crap! Did smooth some iron shots that I barely felt leaving the clubface. Few and far between. Being off a week left me hunting for some rhythm that I just never could find... with any clubs except the Mini off the tee. She sparkled.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
As much fun as I’m having at home with the kiddies, think its time for a little project... seeing as I started this thread after all LOL

Today I’m pulling the trigger on some new grips for the Eye2’s, nothing fancy just something me and the boy can fart around in the garage with and play with some tools!! But mostly just to hide from the girls!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As much fun as I’m having at home with the kiddies, think its time for a little project... seeing as I started this thread after all LOL

Today I’m pulling the trigger on some new grips for the Eye2’s, nothing fancy just something me and the boy can fart around in the garage with and play with some tools!! But mostly just to hide from the girls!
Sometimes guys just gotta be guys!!!

🔥 Latest posts