• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anybody besides me had the flu this year?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Normally I'm a pretty healthy person, but in the last 10 months I have had the flu 3 times!!!

Each time I've had a fever, body aches, sinus congestion, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, and generally feeling like shit for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

I'm just getting over a bout now, and I have ZERO energy. I tried playing a round of golf Saturday.....started out par, birdie, par....and then I started running out of gas and ended up shooting a 84. :(

I really think my new job is contribyuting to my repeated illness this year, as I used to go 4 or 5 years without getting the flu. All the more reason to change jobs. :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Nope, haven't had the flu in a long long time. I think I did get a head cold last year but got over it quickly.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Nope, no flu. But we had one death for the AH1N1 flu about a month ago in my hospital....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nope, no flu. But we had one death for the AH1N1 flu about a month ago in my hospital....

From H1N1 or other issues?

How old were they?

We had an entire school of kids infected with H1N1 and nothing happened. The whole hype about that is bunk.

R35

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
From H1N1 or other issues?

How old were they?

We had an entire school of kids infected with H1N1 and nothing happened. The whole hype about that is bunk.

R35

Oh the Hype is RIDICULOUS. More people die every year by original ordinary influenza virus than by this crappy Pig Flu.

Still it is a serious disease, like Pneumonia or CRUP.

She wa about 8 years old. Couple of comorbilities though....

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm pretty sure I'm not, but if a person contracts the flu, they are then immune to that type of flu once they get over it. To have the flu three times in one year, you would have to contract three different kinds of flu. I guess that's possible, but it seems unlikely.

I'm not saying you weren't sick, but I wonder if you had something besides the flu.

Kevin

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm pretty sure I'm not, but if a person contracts the flu, they are then immune to that type of flu once they get over it. To have the flu three times in one year, you would have to contract three different kinds of flu. I guess that's possible, but it seems unlikely.

I'm not saying you weren't sick, but I wonder if you had something besides the flu.

Kevin

Most people who talk about "the flu" are really meaning a hard difficult cold. The Flu is caused by a virus called the Influenza virus which really does kill a lot of people yearly. A lot of flues get over infected with bacteria causing Pneumonia. The Influenza virus mutates about every 3-4 months, and the Influenza you get in the U.S. is different to the one you get in South America, to te one you get in OZ, so it is likely you could get three flues in a year, but your immune system would need to be crap (An HIV, or a Cancer patient for example).

I think Siberian is really talking about Colds, caused by Rhinoviruses. Hey can kill as well, but are much less harmful than an Influenza virus.

Anyhow, if you're getting a cold every three months you should get yourself checked to see what is happening to your immune system...

Cheers...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Normally healthy. My wife and I get flu shots each year. We'll have a couple of colds, each year, but nothing serious.

This year, however, has me worried. I'm into health care facilities for physical therapy 3 times/week. Still believe if folks could stay away from other sick folks.... stay away from medical facilities... they'd be healthier. Afraid I'll pick up something off a door handle or exercise machine. Carrying hand sanitizer in the truck and using it immediately after leaving the facility.

Much more worried, this year, about kids and grandkids. Seems as if this H1N1 picks on the younger and lets us old foggies alone.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Most people who talk about "the flu" are really meaning a hard difficult cold. The Flu is caused by a virus called the Influenza virus which really does kill a lot of people yearly. A lot of flues get over infected with bacteria causing Pneumonia. The Influenza virus mutates about every 3-4 months, and the Influenza you get in the U.S. is different to the one you get in South America, to te one you get in OZ, so it is likely you could get three flues in a year, but your immune system would need to be crap (An HIV, or a Cancer patient for example).

I think Siberian is really talking about Colds, caused by Rhinoviruses. Hey can kill as well, but are much less harmful than an Influenza virus.

Anyhow, if you're getting a cold every three months you should get yourself checked to see what is happening to your immune system...

Cheers...

Well, I've never had colds that made me feel this bad. Yesterday afternoon was the first time in over 2 weeks that I have had any energy at all. If you've never worked in a slaughter plant, then you can have no idea how bad the working conditions truly are: high humidity, areas of extreme heat and areas of extreme cold, aerosolized blood and feces.....and I'm exposed to this crap 10-12 hours a day.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
This year, however, has me worried. I'm into health care facilities for physical therapy 3 times/week. Still believe if folks could stay away from other sick folks.... stay away from medical facilities... they'd be healthier. Afraid I'll pick up something off a door handle or exercise machine. Carrying hand sanitizer in the truck and using it immediately after leaving the facility.

That's one of the reasons I have quit going to the hospitals & Dr's recently. Frickin tired of that crap after a full 9 months of it. Told my wife if a leg falls off or my heart stops ticking I may reconsider.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I try my damndest to stay out of hospitals and especially ER's during the fall/winter...the only times i have been sick in the last few years is when i had to take my daughter to the ER or Hospital....

I have never had a flu shot, i refuse to get the swine flu 'vaccine'....because 1 i think this 'vaccine' was pushed onto the market too quickly and 2, i don't need it, i am a healthy 23 year old male...i am about the lowest on the totem for needing a shot. Even if i were at risk i doubt i would take it.

ETA: I agree with Xamilo, you might want to see if you have something going on with your immune system...can never be too careful when it comes to that.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.