• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anybody draw a line on their ball for putting?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I've never used a line... I can't see that a line on a 1.5" diameter ball is going to really do much about lining up a 20 foot putt. I've tried it and found that I am actually MORE likely to be misaligned if I use such a tiny line than I am if I use my tried and true spot aiming technique.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I just use the brand name on the ball to line it up with my target, I was going to buy one of the ball balancers and see if they work but never really got that going.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
It turned out though, that I was too focused on the mechanics and my line and I basically forgot to putt.

For me, just the opposite. Once the line--or logo-- is pointed on my intended target line, then I'm all about speed, baby. I forget about the rest of it and just putt....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
For me, just the opposite. Once the line--or logo-- is pointed on my intended target line, then I'm all about speed, baby. I forget about the rest of it and just putt....

Yep. The logo towards and it's automatic. Less to worry about.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been doing it for a while. I started out doing it to actually aim my tee shots and also to easily regonize my ball. It's helped a lot for ball recognition, not sure about tee shots.
icon10.gif

I'll align it for a short straight putt every once in a while but it's by no means my normal method. My routine is take read, feel the speed and hit it on that line. When I'm putting well I can "see the line" burned into the green in my mind.

My dad loves to pick up balls in the woods, out of hazards and such. It cracks me up when I go through his found balls and there is one that was mine.
icon10.gif

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
if my math is correct - and you are off aligning the line on the ball by 1/32" you will miss the hole in 9.5 ' . 1/(((1/32)/1.68)/2.125)).
I use a sharpie that makes a mark about 1/16" wide.

On the other hand if it gives you confidence- Go for it. if you believe it is gonna fall it usually will.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
it depeneds for me some days im just hot and if i try to line it up it just screws me up.other days i use the small name on the side.prov`s have little arrows at the ends on the seam.

ive also seen strata straights have a geen line and arrow to help you line up.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
On a 20 foot putt, if the 1.5" long line on your ball is mis-aimed by 1/32" and you are aligned perfectly to the line, you would miss the putt by 12.8 feet. On a 10 foot putt you would miss by 6.4 feet. Since that is an unlikely scenario, I stipulate that most players do not actually align themselves solely to the line on the ball, even if they think that they do so. You would certainly notice that much of a misalignment, and conciously or unconciously adjust for it, still thinking that you were using that tiny little line on the ball as an aid.

IMO, the only thing that line can do for your putting is to tell you if you've given the ball a true roll. As an aiming device it is fairly useless.:rolleyes:

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I tried it once. I found myself spending more time trying to line up the line than it took pick a line and putt. :)

To each his own I guess.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I tried it once. I found myself spending more time trying to line up the line than it took pick a line and putt.

This was the biggest problem for me. Figuring out a line is np, i see it, i try to aim at it and stroke it, although a line i would love to use, its tough for my to get the line perfectly on top of the ball because it always looks so offcentre with my stupid eye... Im guna work more on this this spring though because being able to line up to the line i was second guess myself overtop the ball which i do so often because it looks so much different and my feet may feel the great design that the builder used to mess with our green reading "skills":D

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
On a 20 foot putt, if the 1.5" long line on your ball is mis-aimed by 1/32" and you are aligned perfectly to the line, you would miss the putt by 12.8 feet. On a 10 foot putt you would miss by 6.4 feet. Since that is an unlikely scenario, I stipulate that most players do not actually align themselves solely to the line on the ball, even if they think that they do so. You would certainly notice that much of a misalignment, and conciously or unconciously adjust for it, still thinking that you were using that tiny little line on the ball as an aid.

IMO, the only thing that line can do for your putting is to tell you if you've given the ball a true roll. As an aiming device it is fairly useless.:rolleyes:

Fourputt, I think you better recheck your math??? inch to foot conversion might be one error. ball dia should be 1.64 inches. 1/32" error in 1.64" = 1" error in 32*1.64" = 1" in 52.5 inches =1" in 4.37 feet.
hole dia is 4.25" so dead aim at center means a miss at 2.125" offline. 2.125* 4.37 = 9.3' putt offline 1/32" in ball diameter will miss the cup.

sorry if seem real A**holish here but am really bored and my tooth still aches. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I use my Check-Go, probably as much if not more for lining up my tee shots as well as putting.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
if my math is correct - and you are off aligning the line on the ball by 1/32" you will miss the hole in 9.5 ' . 1/(((1/32)/1.68)/2.125)).
I use a sharpie that makes a mark about 1/16" wide.

On the other hand if it gives you confidence- Go for it. if you believe it is gonna fall it usually will.

Exactly - I use the Chek-Go that supposedly "balances" the ball. I think it's (mostly) a bunch of hooey. My stroke introduces WAY more variability than the manufacturing process. But the blue sharpie line on my ball makes it more identifiable, and yeah, every little bit helps.

BUT...it makes me feel more confident. As far a putting goes, I only use the line as part of my routine, and I don't try to use it as an absolute alignment aid. Does it help my game? Only by helping me feel more confident.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
i line up the logo to a spot 6-10 feet ahead of me on my line, then i vizualize with a white line(anybody who plays tiger woods would know what im talking about, its the same line that gives you the line in the game), take my stance, few pratice strokes for speed, watch the ball go in, then let it rip.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
i line up the logo to a spot 6-10 feet ahead of me on my line, then i vizualize with a white line(anybody who plays tiger woods would know what im talking about, its the same line that gives you the line in the game), take my stance, few pratice strokes for speed, watch the ball go in, then let it rip.

I actually do a bit of the same thing visualizing it. I found that game helped me out with visualizing a good amount.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.