• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone buy a grill lately?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
The cast iron burners in my grill have been in rough looking shape for a while, but the grill has started to develop hot-spots and it is not helping me cook food evenly - I looked into replacing the burners, but I can't find the right model (Kenmore grill) and after trying to replace one with a replacement I found at Sears, it's not worth it....

So, I'm looking for advice on a new grill.
My current one has 4 burners (which I like for control) and is a pretty good size (I haven't measured it, but can fit at least 5 rows of burgers 4 deep with room to flip)
It also does not have a side burner - I saved a few bucks when I picked this model 5 yrs ago because it didn't have the side burner - I've NEVER seen anyone use the side burner, so I figured the plain sides would hold up better - this doesn't seem to be an option this time around.

I'm looking for something pretty sturdy - I live in New England and use it year round - I try to cover it most of the time, but waiting for it to cool before putting the cover back on is tough when it's sleeting out and covering it wet doesn't make much sense so it's uncovered a lot.

I don't think I'd use rotisserie or smoker features - primarily burgers, steak, chicken, etc.

So, what do you guys recommend?

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Kenmore. Ive got a 2-burner Kenmore that my parents won and gave to me. Its got stainless grates and a themometer in the cover and I like it. Thus far it had held up to our Wisconsin winters.
The only real complaint I have is that the igniter dont work in the cold, so you either have to turn on the gas and throw a match in it or break out the propane torch to light it.
All in all, I like it and Kenmore grills typically are inexpensive.
I still like my old Webber charcoal grill, but the gas grill is so much faster.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Here in the Midwest I am seeing a dual grill... One side Charcoal and one side Gas, each with their own lid, controls, etc. Both sides are plent big to cook for 10 or so. It's not as big as you think, either.

I've been eyeing it like a dork looking at the prom queen after drinking too much punch.

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm far too lazy for charcoal - who makes this dual grill though?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Fecking gas????

Terrible...might as well cook on the range inside.

Charcoal, the real wood stuff not that pressed together shit either. Anything less is just a shame to the name of BBQ

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Ducane, without question is the Cadillac of gas grills. Priced like a Cadillac too.

I am a huge Weber fan I have a 3 burner somethingorother and it will not die. Been out in the New England weather for 8 years now and it still works great....I paid $399 for it back then.

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Charcoal, the real wood stuff not that pressed together shit either. Anything less is just a shame to the name of BBQ
if you're willing to go through all that hassle, why not cut down that real wood from the forest yourself and slaughter/butcher the animal yourself too

I don't have time or patience for charcoal :)

I'll have to look at these Ducanes sling speaks of...

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
This is Badass!!
ducane.jpg

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I am a huge Weber fan I have a 3 burner somethingorother and it will not die. Been out in the New England weather for 8 years now and it still works great....I paid $399 for it back then.

Weber for sure. I bought one back in 2003 that sits out in the Florida sun, heat, and moisture year round and it still runs like a dream. Heck, a thunderstorm picked it up and threw it across the yard a few years ago and all I had to do was pick it up, put the loose parts back on, and fire it up. Rust has finally gotten to the drip pan holder, but that is the only component that is not in working condition.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
if you're willing to go through all that hassle, why not cut down that real wood from the forest yourself and slaughter/butcher the animal yourself too

I don't have time or patience for charcoal :)

I'll have to look at these Ducanes sling speaks of...
I have...several times...except you dont want to use the tree's you cut down that day...too green. The best venison you will ever have is over an open fire and never even been below body temperature. Actually, taking it straight out of the deer and riping off a peice of bloody backstrap with your own teeth is about as good as it gets.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I would get a dual grill. I use a charcoal grill, and as longa syou use real charcoal- charred wood- not briquetts, you get a really really good taste compared to gas. I've got the whole chimney starter setup and everything.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I'm far too lazy for charcoal - who makes this dual grill though?

I would like to cook on charcoal... but baseball, fall baseball, travel softball, gymnastics, guitar lessons, clarinet/band, a house for sale, a little golf now and then, as well as a 12 year old, a 10 year old and a 4 year old make gas so freaking convenient I cannot begin to explain it.

Here is the Duo Grill.... not sure of the manufacturer. Usually between $300 and $500 depending on where you buy it.

Duo Grill.jpg

Not gigantic grills on either side, but plenty big enough for us, even when we entertain, and the choice of gas of charcoal seems sweet indeed.
Duo Grill.jpg

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I want one of those bad boys. Here's a linky:

Duo Grill

I need a new grill soon. I think this one just made my short list.

🔥 Latest posts