• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone hit the Titty 909D3?

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
I tried both the 909D2 at 11.5º and the 909D3 at 10.5º, finding the former both longer and straighter for me.

Titleist is one company that will give you a reasonably lofted driver without a hook face, but even at my preferred 44½", I find them a tad too upright.

The Callaway FT-5 Tour-N had a more comfortable lie angle, but only goes up to 10.5º again. To get a smidge more loft, you have to leave the Tour Series and again get stuck with a hook face.

With major OEM titanium drivers, it's almost impossible to get a flat enough lie, a square or slightly open face, and generous loft, all at the same time.

That was the beauty of persimmon or laminated maple. For a reasonable setup charge, you could get whatever you wanted for specs. High tech means fewer setup options, not more.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Just got back from American Golf. The only driver I half like is the R7 Limited so I had nothing to hit it against to compare the numbers. I hit it setup to Neutral at 1st and launch was 12 point something on my 6 drives, Ball Speed was 155-160, with total distance anything from 255 with the miss hits upto 280 being the best all with a slight pull/draw. I had him set it upto Fade and the launch increased upto 13 point something for the drives with that. The distance was pretty much the same with the worst being 260 and best 280 but the flight was straight as a arrow or a slight fade. Can't say I'm blown away by the numbers but the driver does look nice and clean behind the ball. It's 10% of TM this weekend so £215 was the asking price....I didn't pull the trigger but might pop in tomorrow to try it compared to a Ping G10. If the Ping beats the ball speed and distance numbers head to head with the R7 I won't bother buying either and the search will continue.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
whats wrong with the Cobra? Or are you just addicted to the next best thing!

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
whats wrong with the Cobra? Or are you just addicted to the next best thing!

Addicted yes!!! but The Cobra was sold for Top dollar before the release of the L5V. About 3 months either side of us playing I ripped the L4V futher, higher and longer than any other driver I've ever had but in the end it was that easy to bomb that I just started trying to knock the cover off it and couldn't stop hooking it..... I've decided I'm getting the R7 LTD as I really like the Fade Bias setting. I'm gonna hit the Trafford range early in the morning and try both the 9.5 and 10.5 degree ones out.....A move to the Dark side could be on the cards.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I hit the 909 d2 and d3 today. The best one for me was the d2 9.5 with a blueboard. I really wanted to like the d3; it looks wonderful at address, but the d2 was more solid for me. I had to force myself to stop hitting the d2 after a while, or else I would want to buy it. :eek:

I also hit the TM limited, it's a POS.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Paul, you will like the R7 Limited, the TM Ozik is a lovely shaft. I hit the 9.5 and just got a little bit to much spin, the shaft was stiff, but found the tip maybe a tad lively, dunno. The R510 TP gave me a better flight.

Can't say the face angle worried me, it felt square and flew straight

Fancy a session at Huddersfield wc 15th?

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
0f02da052380eba2.jpg The force is strong with the Dark side!
0f02da052380eba2.jpg

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
In less than 30 days this will be in the classifieds.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
:killersmiley: Don't under estimate the Power of the Dark side ! ! !

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I will go as low as 17 days, and that is only because the bad weather will keep him from realizing what a POS he bought any sooner ;)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Is the blueboard in the 909's a real blueboard, or another made for POS?

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online