• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone into bicycles?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So, I want to get a bike for several reasons...

1. Commuting. We're doing a lot of baseball practices/games and it's only a couple miles away, driving the car down there 3-5 days a week seems like a waste. Plus going to the grocery store/gas station for little things would make more sense on a bike.
2. Fun. Pedaling around with the family, there are some single track off road areas close to me and a few really nice trails.
3. Fitness. I'm not as young as I once was...and I'm not getting any younger. Plus working from home has definitely packed a few pounds on.

I just don't know where to start when it comes to what type of bike I should get.

I can go into more detail if someone here is interested in giving me some advice.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

1. Commuting. We're doing a lot of baseball practices/games and it's only a couple miles away, driving the car down there 3-5 days a week seems like a waste. Plus going to the grocery store/gas station for little things would make more sense on a bike.
2. Fun. Pedaling around with the family, there are some single track off road areas close to me and a few really nice trails.
3. Fitness. I'm not as young as I once was...and I'm not getting any younger. Plus working from home has definitely packed a few pounds on.

I just don't know where to start when it comes to what type of bike I should get.

I can go into more detail if someone here is interested in giving me some advice.
First of all; yes, yes and YES!!! I am by no means an expert on the matter, but I love biking around town for fun and or errands. You are right on so many points, our oldest is just getting to the point of being able to go around our crescent on her trike and I'm smiling ear to ear for the entire trip.

Most important advice I have is to get something you like, just like anything else, if you don’t like it you won’t ride it. Something that I did learn is the importance of a proper fitting bike. Bikes are fit to height of course and in the event of an emergency dismount, you’d like for feet to hit the ground before other more delicate parts hitting bike frame... and for the love of god, upgrade your seat!! You’ll thank me. For some reason all bikes come with these tiny little things that wedge up your ass, it’s just not comfortable!! For $20 on amazon, get a better one!!

I bought my wife and I new bikes for our anniversary last year. His and Hers GT Aggressor M frames cause we are both around 5’10... her first new bike in ages and some days I can’t keep up with her!!

Attachments

• 5581A7E0-1224-4E0E-AD5D-F5A26FAD089D.png
    5581A7E0-1224-4E0E-AD5D-F5A26FAD089D.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 165
OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I actually just sent an offer to this guy for this after talking to a buddy that finally got back to me:

Blue book is $400, so he's pretty over priced...we'll see what he says

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Looks like a winner to me, best of luck with it!! As I’m sure you are now aware, much like golf clubs, people’s value of their own stuff is often quite inflated!!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Did you get that bike ?

buting used can get you some very good shifters and derailleur setups.
Look for bikes with the top two leveyof shimano setups. You never regret that , trust me. Gravel and road bikes r the best if your not going to full mountain bike. The weight really does matter.

at one time I had a super well setup bike with top of the line stuff. Carbon fiber frame, the works . 1800 dollars used. My gawd it was super nice.
I sold it though… because if I even just dinged or twisted a rim, I couldn’t afford to replace it. Most roads and even city cement trails will eventually eat a rim. So I went with a gravel bike. A little heavier, but sports slightly wider tires and rims that can handle some off road.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Did not get the bike, didn't even get a reply and the ad is gone, so I'm guessing he sold it before I messaged him.

I'm still on the prowl.

I'm not on FB, but I have the wife looking through marketplace when she has time.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Did you get that bike ?

buting used can get you some very good shifters and derailleur setups.
Look for bikes with the top two leveyof shimano setups. You never regret that , trust me. Gravel and road bikes r the best if your not going to full mountain bike. The weight really does matter.
The parts are really why I would like to get a well setup used bike, like you said. The new bikes, seems like I would have to spend at least a grand to get decent stuff.

Might go check out some local bike shops to see what they have in stock for used stuff.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Not my favorite color really....but looks to be in good shape, again he's 2x blue book...so we'll see if we can come to a price we can agree upon

Looking at this now:

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Showed dude blue book price and apparently Trek dealer said they would give him $350, but they don't have the bike he wants yet so he's trying to sell privately. Has a guy coming to look at it tonight, I'm second in line.

Looks like 1.5-2x over blue book is 'normal' now...

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Showed dude blue book price and apparently Trek dealer said they would give him $350, but they don't have the bike he wants yet so he's trying to sell privately. Has a guy coming to look at it tonight, I'm second in line.

Looks like 1.5-2x over blue book is 'normal' now...
People are so damn stupid man... Yes, you bought this item new and likely paid a lot of money for it. Now its used, with no real way to tell its treatment. And you want 2x what its worth??? Like, let me roll the next one for you to smoke pal!!

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Well, I went to a local shop tonight, they had almost nothing in stock. It was crazy. I remember this store, as a kid, had hundreds of bikes lining the walls.

They had about 20 kids bikes including the 8ish balance bikes, 3 full carbon road racing bikes($6000+), 1 womens FX, 2 Ebikes, and one flat bar hard tail that was a small frame and I can't even remember the model now.

Literally that was all they had on the racks. Guy said they had a few in back unbuilt, but not many. So I talk to a salesman and told him what I was looking for, so we looked at all the bikes that they had 'promised' to them by Trek for the next two months, there was maybe 50 bikes on it, and a lot of them were pre-sold already. He had 1 FX but it was a size medium. He also had 2 Dual Sport 3 large frames coming in 7/26. So I put a 20% down payment on it. According to him, if I find another bike or I decide I don't want it, I get my money back. We looked quick at the spreadsheet of bikes that should be delivered in the next 2 years, for DualSport 2 because that's honestly what I really wanted, none. Crazy...

929.99 was a LOT more than I really wanted to pay...but given the prices used bikes are pulling, I can't see spending $650 on an unknown unit when I can have one brand new for not THAT much more. Plus, it's more bike than I need, so it should probably last me the rest of my life with general maintenance.

I'll keep looking at the used market to see if I can find a gem...but for now, I'll plan on buying the Dual Sport 3 when it comes in. I got it in Grey...they had one in a bright orange, but that's just not me.

Admin

Staff member
Admin
Mar 6, 2014

I just got one of these and I've been very happy with it!

🔥 Latest posts