• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone know of a diet that works?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Since I quit smoking in August I've gained 20 lbs.

I'm on a "eat all the meat, cheese you want but no carbs" diet. You eat two eggs and two slices of bacon for breakfast and drink a glass of unsweetened grapefruit juice. Then you just don't eat bread, rice, potatoes or any of that stuff with meals. Lot's of salads and chicken. :)

So far I've gained 2 lbs. :(

Anyone know of something better? :confused:

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I have done the low fat thing and the low carb thing. Either way works if you control the calories.

It really is just a matter of calories taken in and calories burned.

My best success is always when I combine diet with excercise.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Count those Calories, Warbirdlover. See if you can find a copy of a computer program, like Diet Analyst. This is what I use when I'm dieting.

3in2out

Apr 11, 2005
You can use a simple setup like www.fitday.com which is free and gives you a basic idea of calorie intake when you plug in your foods.

Its all about diet and excercise, that simple.

There is nothing wrong with the right type of fats, carbs, and protein as long as they eaten somewhat correctly.

To give you an idea of calories you should be consuming, use a calculator such as this..

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html

300-500 calories under what is says to lose weight, or 500 calories over what it says if your trying to gain weight/muscle build.

Meat/protein is good for ya, healthy fats such as Omega-3s found in fish, nuts, and so forth are good for you, carbs from fruits, sweet potatos, and the such are great for you too.

Stick with leaner type meats, good cuts of steak, chicken, turkey, ect..try and vere away from bacon and sausage and stuff.

Eat plenty of veggies and fruits.

Whole wheat bread is much better than white bread, same goes with white rice.

Also eat smaller meals more times a day instead of 3 big ones to increase metabolism.

Above all, throwing in some excercise helps a ton. Increases testostorone, burns fat, helps to increase metabolism, ect..

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
If you burn more calories then you intake the fat will come off. You can eat cheeseburgers all day long as long as you are doing it on a treadmill or having sex. If you seriously sit down and count how many calories are in your consumption you will be surprised on how much you really do eat. If you dont get your heartrate up you will not burn to calories and if you starve yourself your body goes into fat storage mode so you have to eat right and exercise.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
What they said.....
I started a diet the day after Christmas....

Whole grain cereal (instead of the ritual bacon, egg and cheese sandwich) and a large black coffee.

I have 2 cans of V8 juice mid morning and skip lunch

I haven't had an alcohol.

I eat like a pig at dinner but it's meat and veggies, no (or very little) starch.

I've lost 10 pounds so far, the goal is 40 pounds by April.

As for exercise....I despise it! Being in construction, however, keeps me moving all day long so it's not like I sit on my ass all day. ;)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
By the way....here is a bit of incentive for you....

For every 35 pounds a male loses, his penis grows one inch....no lie, I heard it on Oprah. :D

Not to put too fine a point on it, but have a look at the fat that collects around your schmeckle then do the math. ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Although I did Atkin's 6 years ago and took off 75 pounds in a period of 8 months. I am not sure I would recommend it as a healthy diet, nor do I feel I would ever do it again. I think the key to dieting is exercise. While I was on Atkins I would lose 2-3 pounds a week, I would lose 6 on weeks that I exercised 3 days a week. For the most part I kept it off, however on these wonderful holiday seasons I always put on about 10-15 pounds, and usually take it off during the month of January. Time to get back in the execise mode for me. Another one that is closely related is South Beach. I don't really ever diet much any more, but it may be worth reading if you like the idea of low-carb. It gives you a better idea of the healthy and complex carbohydrates, and is not bad to know even if you do not follow it to a tee. Atkins was all or nothing, you were either on Atkins or you were on a high fat diet.

But again, I would likely put more emphasis on exercise as opposed to diet. You need a healthy mixture of the two to raise your motabolism and really benefit in the long run. If you exercise, carbohydrates are important and cheaper than the Protien you would need to recover properly.

Good luck, I will be right there with you until the golf season starts back up.

edit 1 - another big key is to drink a ton of water, especially if you are on a low carb diet so you don't encounter other issues

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
For every 35 pounds a male loses, his penis grows one inch....no lie, I heard it on Oprah. :D
Strange even thinking about Oprah tends to make my penis shrink about 6 inches or more, she has kind of a turtle effect on me. :D

edit 1 - ... thinking more about this, I wonder how much her's grew when she was on her diet, and how she established this theory :D :D

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
From experience I can testify that living in a jungle in Guatemala helps those pounds shoot right off...actually shoot right out. We coined the name BU (boo) for what we had - Butt Urine.

Good luck by the way, you're never too young to change your life or lifestyle I say!

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I always hear of people going on diets, and saying how hard it is, and not getting good results.

I have recently been eating fast food 3 times a week, and eating a lot more between meals, I gained 1 stone even though I needed to put on weight, though after joining the gym for 3 months I'm back down to 10 stone.

I believe eat what you want, but just do some exercise to work it off, take 30 minutes out of your evening and go for a run.

As for the penis thing, apparently when you lose weight it makes your penis look bigger, due to the fat lost around that area.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Do what I do. Smoke a pack cigerettes a day, have 4 cups of coffe and no food for breakfast, go move furniture all day, eat a light lunch around 3pm., go to the driving range for an hour and a half, come home, eat dinner.

I weight 150lbs. but I measure length in yards.
icon10.gif

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I dont understand diets... Alls i konw is ive been putting on weight lately (past 2 months ive put on 10 lbs) but have lost 4 off my belt size... Not even doing real exercise in my mind... (although ive skiied and played about 12 rounds).

In the summer i can lose 10 pounds in a week np (as long as its hot out, like 25+ degrees), just play two a day and dont eat too much and i can drop the lbs no problem:p Although im also 17 so these things are easier for me.

edit- btw, skiing to me is going 60+ mph and doing huge 20-30 foot jumps doing 360s and stuff like that:D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online