• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone playing 43.5" driver

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
old school short-shafted anyone ?
right now I am at 45.
Have a old adams XTD. thinking of a Mamiya pro force shaft that's on sale at golfsmith.
got the club for $39, has a Mamiya red series 79, Tour Stiff !

get it cut to 44 or 43.5

also real tempted to get a fitted Wishon, driver, then sell my current ho-crop of drivers.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have a Taylor Made R580 shafted with a TT DG S300 steel shaft @ 43.5". Good club. Hit about 260 and pretty accurate.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I recall we did some short-shaft talking back in 2009 when I was playing, but never went whole-hog, shorter than 45" on my driver stick at the time.

Did any of you add weight to the head after cutting it down?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I recall we did some short-shaft talking back in 2009 when I was playing, but never went whole-hog, shorter than 45" on my driver stick at the time.

Did any of you add weight to the head after cutting it down?

Dont think like that think lighter grip. You can find grips from 25g up

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
its at Gsmith now, getting a new shaft, and cut to 44 :)

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I went down to 44.5" and the driver in total was under 300 grams. I'm a huge Tom Wishon fan and he says that if you have an "ultra light" driver (under 300g) that you should swing weight your club to something normally too high so you can feel the head a bit more. I went to the D5-6 range and I'm hitting the center of the face more than I even have in my life. No loss in distance and maybe a slight gain.

Here's more on the ultra light clubs from Tom Wishon's blog: http://wishongolf.com/the-new-superlite-shaft-trend-whos-it-for/

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
a light grip at 25 g off the ass end is 12 g off the head. thats about 4-5 swingweights adjustment without making the club heavier. its Mass x velocity^2= force. you got the mass in the head so dont slow the acceleration with more weight.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Report: All is good in short shaft land. Esp. when you consider my Ability, or lack thereof. It was not any shorter in distance - I hit most of my typical drives, distance wise.
It is a Stiff 66gr shaft. My swing speed is at 90 to 95 max right now, (Golfsmith monitor) - and depending on how "fresh' I am on the tee. long time someone here felt this shaft played a little on softer side.

Anyway, I am going to play it a bunch. if I like it enough, I may "pawn" my other 2 newer drives to the local club buyer. he pays a fair price.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Report: All is good in short shaft land. Esp. when you consider my Ability, or lack thereof. It was not any shorter in distance - I hit most of my typical drives, distance wise.
It is a Stiff 66gr shaft. My swing speed is at 90 to 95 max right now, (Golfsmith monitor) - and depending on how "fresh' I am on the tee. long time someone here felt this shaft played a little on softer side.

Anyway, I am going to play it a bunch. if I like it enough, I may "pawn" my other 2 newer drives to the local club buyer. he pays a fair price.

Not even a shot at looking at those drivers in the classifieda?

🔥 Latest posts