• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

anyone using new 2 wood

tomcoleman1

Feb 5, 2009
we're having an interesting discussion prompted by greg norman comment that most high handicappers would do well to replace their driver w 2 wood which would allegedly result in less side spin? Perhaps same result w shorter shaft on driver?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
More loft equals less side spin assuming all else is the same.

I don't believe a shorter shaft would automatically mean less side spin. A shorter shaft allows the golfer to hit the center of the face more easily and lessons the severity of bad swings.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Technically more loft equals more backspin and a little less sidespin. Anyone with a bad enough slice or hook that they lose numerous balls per round off the tee needs to worry more about the swing than the club though. Even though buying clubs is fun. A lot of people hit 3w and don't really hit it any straighter.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I still have the HiBore 2-wood. It has a 400+ cc head. The loft is 16 degrees, similar to many 3-woods. I carried that club many years, only retiring it middle of this past season. Received many comments about it being as long as and more accurate than my driver. Currently hitting driver well, so went with a 3-wood which is easier to hit off the deck.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, higher loft can assist but so can lessons. IMO the best remedy is to learn how to hit the club properly.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Yep, higher loft can assist but so can lessons. IMO the best remedy is to learn how to hit the club properly.

This is just it, I believe it was also said sometimes its the Indian not the arrow.

That being said, I do play a 4 wood. More for its play from the fairway then anything. But that's just me...

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I owned a Taylor Made "Tour Spoon" back in the '80s. That thing had a sweet spot three electrons wide.

Mozybro

Dec 18, 2012
Country
I just got the rocketballz 13 degree tour spoon model and love it. I had the regular 15 degree rocketballz and hit it good. This spoon model 3 wood goes about 15-20 yards further than the 15 degree rocketballz

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My 3w is 13.5*...I guess I could call it a 2 wood. It's probably the most useless club in my bag. I rarely find myself in the position of needing it. I can count on 1 hand how many heroic shots I've hit with it but I can't count how many times it has put me in jail. Anyone want to buy it?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My 3w is 13.5*...I guess I could call it a 2 wood. It's probably the most useless club in my bag. I rarely find myself in the position of needing it. I can count on 1 hand how many heroic shots I've hit with it but I can't count how many times it has put me in jail. Anyone want to buy it?
I had a 13* 3w that was a monster off the tee. Couldn't even get it off the ground though unless it was on a tee.

Do yourself a favor, get a Tour sedge Exotics 15* 3w with a shaft that fits your swing, that will make you forget everything else!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've hit the TEE 3w. My buddy used to have one. They're hot and forgiving but the head is a little too big to suit my eye. Off the tee that is fine, but I get more confidence from a smaller, monkey paw, profile from the fairway.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've hit the TEE 3w. My buddy used to have one. They're hot and forgiving but the head is a little too big to suit my eye. Off the tee that is fine, but I get more confidence from a smaller, monkey paw, profile from the fairway.
Interesting, that's about the smallest head of the more "modern" heads. I think its 165cc's, most 3w's now are bigger than that. I think the R7 TP is a bit smaller, but not sure. Not sure about components either...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Interesting, that's about the smallest head of the more "modern" heads. I think its 165cc's, most 3w's now are bigger than that. I think the R7 TP is a bit smaller, but not sure. Not sure about components either...
Ok. I guess I'm thinking of a different model. The one I'm thinking of had a mid sized head and I think it was titainium.

I would be interested in trying one out, if I could get my hands on one.

🔥 Latest posts